iON Performance Springs

Hey Guys, I just wanted to pass on the word that iON Performance has three sets of MSP Race Spec springs left in stock. I recently bought a set from them and I absolutely love them. I know many people here have had issues with the delivery time of products from iON Performance, but that will be a non-issue with the springs as they are in stock and ready to ship. Just trying to help out anyone here who may be looking into getting a good set of springs. Keep safe.

what did it do for you? how low, and do you have the dreaded bounce? let us know the details.

I don't have track times to compare before and after times, but the car defenitely feels more agile in cornering. The stock suspension is actually really impressive, but these springs make it easier to change directions when cornering at the limit without losing the back end. The drop at the front is 1.625 inches, and the drop at the back is 0.75 inches. I recently drove to and from South Florida from Atlanta with a ton of luggage (both trunk and back seats completely filled) and there was never any rubbing.

I'm not sure if these links will work but here's a before (1st pic) and after pic.
http://photo-origin.tickle.com/image/91/1/2/O/91123155O614474015.jpg

http://photo-origin.tickle.com/image/91/1/2/O/91122647O641879182.jpg

Unfortunately in the second pic the car is on a slope and the pic is taken from the high side the drop can't be appreciated as much. If I can find a better one I'll post it up.

Edit: If you're looking for springs that slam the car these aren't the ones to get. But the ride quality is great as is the handling

Last edited:
Larone said:
I don't have track times to compare before and after times, but the car defenitely feels more agile in cornering. The stock suspension is actually really impressive, but these springs make it easier to change directions when cornering at the limit without losing the back end. The drop at the front is 1.625 inches, and the drop at the back is 0.75 inches. I recently drove to and from South Florida from Atlanta with a ton of luggage (both trunk and back seats completely filled) and there was never any rubbing.

I'm not sure if these links will work but here's a before (1st pic) and after pic.
http://photo-origin.tickle.com/image/91/1/2/O/91123155O614474015.jpg

http://photo-origin.tickle.com/image/91/1/2/O/91122647O641879182.jpg

Unfortunately in the second pic the car is on a slope and the pic is taken from the high side the drop can't be appreciated as much. If I can find a better one I'll post it up.

Edit: If you're looking for springs that slam the car these aren't the ones to get. But the ride quality is great as is the handling

The pics look awesome. My friend just lowered his WRX but riding in the back your constantly bobbin, im wondering if these springs have that effect? Anybody know? Did you have to get an Alignment?

Yeah I got an alignment immediately after I installed them so I'm not sure what it would ride like without the alignment - but it's just safer to get it done. I've ridden as a passenger in the back as well and there's no bobbin at all. Even my 80 year old grandmother enjoyed the ride back there :).

Looks really nice! I have a set of Ion Sport specs siiting at home... I haven't installed them yet as I'm not sure they have a drop at all compared to stock springs.
It would have been better to wait a week or so before the alignment, just to let those springs settle a little.

Off subject: how do you like those Falkens?

As the chart posted shows the fronts are linear while the rear is progressive. I don't know about that 2.36 inch rear drop that the chart shows though. I don't think the rear is dropped more than the front.

The Falkens are amazing. Incredible dry and wet performance. Since the stockers are already great in the dry I wouldn't say I notice a huge improvement in the dry, but it's really noticeably better in the wet though!

FlyinMSP - If you have a MSP; then the springs you have are wrong. If you have a Protege 5 or ES, then the Sport Spec springs will drop your car 1.18" F&R

jmv - Our springs are linear/progressive (F/R) respectively. The "drop" on that chart is wrong. The fronts are -1.625" and the rears is -0.75" on the MSP specifically.

Please note that once these are gone, that's it. We will not be producing anymore Springs for the MSP; we're currently clearing out all the Protege 5/ES, MSP, Mazda 6, Mazdaspeed 6, Mazda 3, Mazdaspeed 3 and RX-8 suspension

iON Performance said:
FlyinMSP - If you have a MSP; then the springs you have are wrong. If you have a Protege 5 or ES, then the Sport Spec springs will drop your car 1.18" F&R

jmv - Our springs are linear/progressive (F/R) respectively. The "drop" on that chart is wrong. The fronts are -1.625" and the rears is -0.75" on the MSP specifically.

Please note that once these are gone, that's it. We will not be producing anymore Springs for the MSP; we're currently clearing out all the Protege 5/ES, MSP, Mazda 6, Mazdaspeed 6, Mazda 3, Mazdaspeed 3 and RX-8 suspension

What's the spring rate?

FlyinMSP - With the Sport Specs on the MSP, you will have little to no lowering; however the rates are higher then the factory MSP, so there will be some handling improvements. If you want to have all the benefits from our springs, you need to move to the Race Specs.

MrDiggler vbmenu_register("postmenu_2602250", true); - Fronts are 195lb/in, and Rears are ~110-170lb/in pending compression height. They will provide a good chassis set-up to outperform any other spring/stock Tokico strut combo. This is from imperical testing done by customers who've experienced other spring options before using ours.

iON Performance said:
FlyinMSP - With the Sport Specs on the MSP, you will have little to no lowering; however the rates are higher then the factory MSP, so there will be some handling improvements. If you want to have all the benefits from our springs, you need to move to the Race Specs.

Thx iON, that's what I was thinking

Back