ION Downpipe

**********<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_1183874", true); </SCRIPT> - Thanks for chiming in; we stand corrected if it is in fact a true turbo-back set-up. We're not trying to slander anyone; however the information listed was taken out of context from the thread to which you have extracted your quote from. In anycase, the differences between the products do exist. Being that your system is modular; connection points have to be reduced to 2.5" to allow for this. As well, it was clearly stated that your system will be 2.5" at one section as well as catless.

In anycase, all those who have decided to go with our product know that there is a wait time; as with anything produced for niche markets this is generally the case. We don't just engineering and manufacture one product for one specific car; and thus our manufacturing scheduled doesn't revolve around one application.

Again, the information that was quoted was based for comparison sakes as it was mentioned by a member from one of the posts previous on this thread; not intended to be slander or mis-information. I hope there's no hard feelings, as the purpose was to provide further clarification.

Last edited:
http://www.msprotege.com/vbb230/showthread.php?t=70537&page=6&pp=20

There is the exact post I pulled my quote from regarding the Squatty's turboback. Nothing was taken out of context.

Your DP off the turbo seems to be less than 2.5 inches. Seems a little restrictive having the wastegate discharge the same size as the turbo discharge. Almost like your are choking the turbo before it makes it to the 3in exhaust. So in our case, a 2.5-3 inch off the turbo housing in addition to the wastegate discharge seems very tasteful.

And for the customers sake, don't justify having them wait for their product. If you can't get it to the customer in a timely fashion, don't sell it.

A pleasure as always.
(usa)

iON Performance said:
brianmcd - The 1-piece integrated down-pipe is being sold only with the hi-flow cat section or the race -pipe section. You can optionally purchase the 3" cat-back section at a later date if you so wish to. However since all the piping is 3"; you won't be able to hook it up to the stock exhaust. It would have to be at least a 2.5" aftermarket cat-back set-up; at which point would still be required to be modified to fit properly with the components. Alternatively, you could get a custom 3" cat-back section made.

So there is no way you can make a piece of pipe, with flanges the transitions down from your 3" down pipe to the stock 2" (or whatever it is), pipe? Could we just get something like this made so it would work? Obviously we have to cut a little of the stock exhaust off(1" to 2") and put the transition piping piece there. But when we buy the rest of the exhaust system later on the flange would be tossed and the rest of the exhaust system would bolt up right to ION's down pipe.

ION
l--------\
(0000000)-----l

(0000000)-----l stock
l--------/
(Ignore the () and the 0's)

What I got from what you said was that the exhaust has to at least be 2.5" to make the transition possible, is that the only way or can it be done this way.

********** said:
With all do respect, you keep asking other vendors specs of their products and methods of testing. Almost like you are trying to copy their products. Its just a hunch, please correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you.
i knew someone would say that. i am only asking as to the dianmeter to see if the combination is = to 3 in. thats all nothing more. i am in no way trying to make an exhaust or coprying anybodies ideas. i was just assuming that they had used a peice of 2" and 1" but as we all know that is not = to 3". i wanted this info to see how it compairs to the stock part as for internal area. i am trying to get ALL the facts before i buy something.

********** - FYI, there's more to the design then what can be seen on the outside. The flow capacity is much larger then 3" right off the turbo; there's a smooth transition into a merge collector with the same area ratio as the extraction section from the turbine and WG. All of our stuff has been race tested to confirm with our design theory.

We're not an online company which just resells parts; and hence times will take longer due to the actual manufacturing process.

Saban<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_1185406", true); </SCRIPT> - The stock system simply can't be expanded to the correct size to mate up with our exhaust components. Even at 2.5" you're choking off performance substaintially.

byohndspeed- the point to which attaches to the turbo has a flow volume greater then a 3" pipe. The merge collector smoothly transitions everything into 3" there after.

Ok guys this is getting out of hand here, all of this does not make any of you look any better, take it to PM ;)

Anyway back on TOPIC

ION how long will the wait be for one of these with the cat? how much is the cat back option later ? how much for a GB? sorry if this is already answered but I did not see it

********** said:
Your DP off the turbo seems to be less than 2.5 inches. Seems a little restrictive having the wastegate discharge the same size as the turbo discharge. Almost like your are choking the turbo before it makes it to the 3in exhaust.
Well this is not always the case. Do a CFD of 2 different flow at 2 different pressure just dumping together into a large collectdion basin isn't the smartest idea. Remeber you want to reduce back pressure, and if the flows from wastegate and turbine exits are routed smoothly until they don't interfere than merge together, then that will cause less back pressure than just a huge tube collecting both. This gives a better spool up time for your turbine, since the pressure difference between turbine inlet and turbine outlet is greater.

tekkie - Here are your Q's answered:
(1) The wait time would depend if you choose to have the optional ceramic coating on the 1-piece integrateded down-pipe or not. Ceramic coating generally adds 2-3 weeks time. Also, the wait time would also depend on when you actually pay as well as when it's scheduled for production. If we were to set-up a time sometime at the beginning of October to start a production run; the soonest these would ship would be mid November.
(2) If you wanted our cat-back section later; it would cost $600US + shipping for payment via MO. [at the member discounted price]
(3) If there was a GB of at least 10 the following would be the prices:
-The price for the 1-piece integrated down-pipe + 3" hi-flow cat section + install hardware (stainless bolts, washers, nuts for spring bolts, 3" graphite matrix gasket) + 3" SS 1/2" thick flange will be $899US shipped for payment via MO. [anywhere in the Continental US or in Canada]
-The price for the 1-piece integrated down-pipe + 3" race-pipe section + install hardware (stainless bolts, washers, nuts for spring bolts, 3" graphite matrix gasket) + 3" SS 1/2" thick flange will be $799US shipped for payment via MO.

YuYuRena said:
Well this is not always the case. Do a CFD of 2 different flow at 2 different pressure just dumping together into a large collectdion basin isn't the smartest idea. Remeber you want to reduce back pressure, and if the flows from wastegate and turbine exits are routed smoothly until they don't interfere than merge together, then that will cause less back pressure than just a huge tube collecting both. This gives a better spool up time for your turbine, since the pressure difference between turbine inlet and turbine outlet is greater.
Good luck with your product, ours will be dyno'd in the following weeks. We can compare results.

Thank you.

Back