internet problems

habeansha

:
2006 Nissan Frontier NISMO KC
so i finally got high speed internet, i thinks its road runner, i used to have dial up for like forever but they finally made the wires out to my house but now theres like something wrong with it and its probably some minor stupid thing

its just whenever someone calls my wireless internet cuts off, but it only happens when someone is using the phone that is on the same line as the cable modem box thingy and the wireless router, the other phone in the house works fine and i can use the internet while someone is using that and it is on a seperate line. I assume that there is someway to fix this since one of the big things about switching from dial up to high speed internet is being on the phone while you use the internet. so can anyone help me

i just kind of realized that i am way behind in technology and crap, only now have i started using wireless stuffs,and the other day i was returning a rental car with my friend, like some crappy chevy uplander and i couldnt get the odometer to turn on so i could record the mileage, frick and i hate power windows

hehehe..

both your portable phone and your wireless card are operating at 2.4 GHz. you just need to go and buy a 900 Mhz phone..

easy enough :)

hehehe..

both your portable phone and your wireless card are operating at 2.4 GHz. you just need to go and buy a 900 Mhz phone..

easy enough :)

idk all this wireless stuff still doesnt make sense to me

but both of my phones are 2.4 GHz as is my wireless router, but why does the one on the same line as my router interfere with my internet while the other one doesnt?

Did you put a filter on the base of that phone's reciever? it could be cutting off internet completly while using that phone, you just don't realise it.

Yea microwave messes up wireless phone. I F'ing hate digital phone btw it's the worst I have ever used in my life. Alas, I don't use it or pay for it and it's the cheapest so horray.

i was just wondering why my other phone doesnt interfere with my internet even though it is 2.4 GHz

i was just wondering why my other phone doesnt interfere with my internet even though it is 2.4 GHz

The usable 2.4gz band is broken up into different channels. Obviously your other phone isn't on the same channel as your wireless accesspoint. You can manually change the channel that your access point is running on ranging from 1-12. Default most accesspoints are set to Channel 6 out of the box. Try changing the operating channel of the accesspoint to either 1 or 12 before you start buying s***.

The usable 2.4gz band is broken up into different channels. Obviously your other phone isn't on the same channel as your wireless accesspoint. You can manually change the channel that your access point is running on ranging from 1-12. Default most accesspoints are set to Channel 6 out of the box. Try changing the operating channel of the accesspoint to either 1 or 12 before you start buying s***.

how do you change that? its a linksys wireless G router and it is kind of lacking instructions. i couldnt even get the cd to finish the set up of it because it wouldnt get pass the password screen, i know the default password is admin.
would changing it probably involve entering that ip address?

Yes, go to that IP address and then login to the switch. Afterwards, go to Basic Wireless Settings and choose either channel 1 or 11. See if that clears it up.

Before you go buying a new phone, changing your wireless router settings, and/or buying a new wireless card, lets get the facts straight.

Do you have a DSL line (Digital Subscriber Line) or a Cable Modem? If it is Road Runner then it is a Cable Modem which comes in over a standard coax cable and fiber optics. If it's a DSL line, then you need a filter on all of the phones (just the phones) that are plugged into the same line as the DSL phone number.

Now, if you do have a Cable Modem, then here is a an easy way to test to see what is going on. Plug your laptop or desktop directly into your router with an ethernet cable. This is a cable with two RJ45's on the ends. Then, have someone or use your cell phone if you have one to call the phone that keeps interfering with your internet. If your internet still works, then you have a wireless problem. If your internet does not work then you have a major problem with some wiring some where in your house or outside at your box.

Get back with the correct information (DSL or Cable) and I will help you more.

ok i tried changing it now i just have to wait for someone to use the phone

but i have another question

should me using the wireless internet slow the internet down on the wired computer? my sister was complaining that the internet was slow while i was on the internet on my laptop

Before you go buying a new phone, changing your wireless router settings, and/or buying a new wireless card, lets get the facts straight.

Do you have a DSL line (Digital Subscriber Line) or a Cable Modem? If it is Road Runner then it is a Cable Modem which comes in over a standard coax cable and fiber optics. If it's a DSL line, then you need a filter on all of the phones (just the phones) that are plugged into the same line as the DSL phone number.

Now, if you do have a Cable Modem, then here is a an easy way to test to see what is going on. Plug your laptop or desktop directly into your router with an ethernet cable. This is a cable with two RJ45's on the ends. Then, have someone or use your cell phone if you have one to call the phone that keeps interfering with your internet. If your internet still works, then you have a wireless problem. If your internet does not work then you have a major problem with some wiring some where in your house or outside at your box.

Get back with the correct information (DSL or Cable) and I will help you more.

its cable, im pretty sure its road runner

It really depends. If you are downloading on your laptop over the wireless and your internet speeds are slow, then yes, you will choke the connection and the other machine. My internet is like 9MB down and 512K up, which is pretty fast considering the price and the speeds that other providers in other states offer.

Anyways, so do you know if the internet on the wired machine is cut off when someone calls or just the laptop? If it is just the laptop then it would be your wireless connection. What is the model number and manufacturer of your wireless router? Also, what is the model number and manufacturer of your cable modem?

ok i tried changing it now i just have to wait for someone to use the phone

but i have another question

should me using the wireless internet slow the internet down on the wired computer? my sister was complaining that the internet was slow while i was on the internet on my laptop

Chances are probably not, but it has nothing to do with the access media. What speed internet do you have? You may have just been using more of the pipe than her, causing her access to be slower.

ok so i think the whole phone interfering with the internet is gone, because im pretty sure my sister was on the phone the whole afternoon and i was on here the whole afternoon
so thanks everyone for helping me with that

but now for the wireless internet making the wired connection slower

is there anything i can do to split the connection speed or something?
i tested it today and was using the laptop and the desktop next to each other and the laptop wireless was working fine, but the internet on the desktop was worse than dial up. So is there someway to equally distribute the connection or something? I noticed that its only slow when i have firefox open on the laptop, nothing else running or downloading in the background

Latest posts

Back