Interior plastic paint

kableguy

hey i just want to paint my cars interior (radio, shifter, and window button plastic parts) what and how would i do this! allso what white would best match a white mazda.

thanks

thanks!, how do i get the handle out of the "handle holder" its out of the car now how in the hell do i get it out of this THINGY???

Only thing I know about painting interior plastics is it's all about the prep work. Don't spend enough time on the prep (you must be POSITIVE you remove all old protectants, and silicone based anything), and a good paint application, and it will look like every other ricer with peeling interior plastic painted parts.

Painting!!

alright i started this project this morning, thought id try something diff, a friend of mine who has been working on car mods for the last ten years laughed when i talked about sanding priming and doing all this work. also the can of paint that i got didn't say to prime or sand. SO I DID THE DEED and i did nothing but clean the parts with alcohol and a prep pad (which i think just had alcohol on it) i tried one piece at first and it seemed to work so now im all they way into this and all the parts have paint on them, so far so good.

pics:

Attachments

• P3130015.JPG
    P3130015.JPG
    175.3 KB · Views: 181
  • P3130020.JPG
    P3130020.JPG
    242.3 KB · Views: 166
kableguy, it would've been so easy for you to google up useful instructions like this one or this one...
and instead of sending you to google, i invest my time to give you a pretty detailed walkthrough and you've got nothing better to do than to take the line of the least resistance... even drunk chinese manufacturers of 3rd class fake gutshi handbags or abibas sneakers would laugh at your friend's "advice" and at you for following it. i won't, because i regret having my time spent on this issue.

Last edited:
TStar said:
kableguy, it would've been so easy for you to google up useful instructions like this one or this one...
and instead of sending you to google, i invest my time to give you a pretty detailed walkthrough and you've got nothing better to do than to take the line of the least resistance... even drunk chinese manufacturers of 3rd class fake gutshi handbags or abibas sneakers would laugh at your friend's "advice" and at you for following it. i won't, because i regret having my time spent on this issue.

sorry to make you feel like you wasted your time, didnt mean to, i still saved a copy of your instructions incase this didnt work. Like i said i was just "testing" the "do nothing" technique on one piece but it turns out to work EXTREMELY well and everything looks really really good, dont bash my ideas just yet wait till im done. Maybe the whole thing will peel off in a week and if it does then ill try yours, no harm done i just wanted to try this because ive been told there is noo need for priming and sanding if your using specific dash paint for these types of pieces.

who knows, maybe you'll be lucky and the paint will hold in if you sprayed it over the original paint, maybe it will come off in a month,maybe in a year.. it gets critical if the paint has completely dried out (takes a lot of time) and lost it's original flexibility, then it might peel off as tasty described it...

easy way to test if your paint holds on to the surface and has a future:
press a finger with some pressure on the paint (dried for at least 12h) and rub it a little. same thing you'd do if you spotted some unknown spots or dirt on your car's paint when incidently looking at your car to check out what it is...

TStar said:
who knows, maybe you'll be lucky and the paint will hold in if you sprayed it over the original paint, maybe it will come off in a month,maybe in a year.. it gets critical if the paint has completely dried out (takes a lot of time) and lost it's original flexibility, then it might peel off as tasty described it...

easy way to test if your paint holds on to the surface and has a future:
press a finger with some pressure on the paint (dried for at least 12h) and rub it a little. same thing you'd do if you spotted some unknown spots or dirt on your car's paint when incidently looking at your car to check out what it is...

i will deff try that and if it doesnt hold ill be sanding for days lol, just to let anyone know that fake cf s*** on the dash WILL NOT hold paint, it just bubles up so if you want to paint that start sanding. I found this out buy droping something on a newly painted piece and once i started sanding what was underneath the cf stuff, and when i went to paint, i wont even post pics, it makes me want to cry but hopefully i fixed it we shall see, will post painted pics soon

i sanded my interior with a high grit sand paper and then washed it a lot to make sure it was clean. then i spray painted it with plasitco (sp) spray paint with a couple coats (used yellow of course) and then clear coated it. it matches my outside perfectly and this was two years ago and still no issues.

After many sanding and paintings i'll never do it again - its something you look at way to much - needs to be professional or CF or something, imo

DONE after 2 days of painting and clear coat

just fin, pics below, what do you think??

Attachments

• P3150016.JPG
    P3150016.JPG
    275.7 KB · Views: 157
  • P3150001.JPG
    P3150001.JPG
    237.2 KB · Views: 173
  • P3150004.JPG
    P3150004.JPG
    376.8 KB · Views: 143
  • P3150005.JPG
    P3150005.JPG
    370.3 KB · Views: 140
MT = manual transmission. I don't like the white interior stuff. It is white, right? Not my cup of tea, but if you like it then hey...

tiz white, ya im not 100% sure myself, felt like a neon at first, little rice but atleast the paint doesnt look like s***, better then stock for a white p5

Brian MP5T has also a lot of white interior, it might help you with your decision.

btw: positions of all the controls look a bit odd, have you reinstalled the devices on the back of the bezel properly? maybe it's just the missing shadows on the white color :

TStar said:
Brian MP5T has also a lot of white interior, it might help you with your decision.

btw: positions of all the controls look a bit odd, have you reinstalled the devices on the back of the bezel properly? maybe it's just the missing shadows on the white color :

hmm, the only thing i can think of is the little ring around each control is hard to see now esp with a camera flash. i dont see how i could installed it wrong, 4 screws and 4 holes lol (confused) was it just the climate control stuff that you thought looked off??

Back