Interested in Mazda5

Two weeks ago I, myself, did not know this vehicle existed (burn)

It's too bad really, the Mazda 5 may be the greatest car that many North Americans never knew existed all because of Mazda's lackluster marketing efforts. I had one lady come up to me and comment "That's a neat looking car, what is it?".

This is of course before tax and fees and I suspect w/o destination charge. OTD price will be close to $18K. I discovered that MT Mazda 5 is pretty rare on a dealer lot here, so may be they are trying to get rid of it. As the matter of fact I do not see many Mazda 5 driving around. Two weeks ago I, myself, did not know this vehicle existed (burn)

That's exactly my experience. I went car shopping and eventually stumbled on the Mazda5. Previously I never new it existed.

It has gotten fantastic reviews and was just named by Consumer Reports as the best Family vehicle for 2010. Personally I think Mazda is doing a horrible job marketing this vehicle.... come to think of it, they don't do ANY marketing on it.

I've had my Mazda5 for almost 2 years and I still have friends who come up and say... "I like your Mazda3 wagon.."

Last edited:
ya I was reading an article recently that mentioned the Mazda 5 is the most overlooked car in North America.

Cargowise you can install a hitch very easily and cheapily, then put a hitch mounted rack on and load'r up... just keep it under 200lbs I'd say. This will have less hinderance on gas mileage I'd imagine.

It has gotten fantastic reviews and was just named by Consumer Reports as the best Family vehicle for 2010. Personally I think Mazda is doing a horrible job marketing this vehicle.... come to think of it, they don't do ANY marketing on it. .."

They took the advertising money for the MAZDA5 and used it to put as much features in the car as possible. Reason why we have 'a lot of car for the money'. Makes you wonder how much profit mazda is getting out of
the 5. Maybe very small?

They took the advertising money for the MAZDA5 and used it to put as much features in the car as possible. Reason why we have 'a lot of car for the money'. Makes you wonder how much profit mazda is getting out of
the 5. Maybe very small?

That's hard to believe because the Mazda5 have already been around for years in Asia and Europe as the Premacy. They really didn't add anything from their Asian/European cousins. In fact they even deleted some options.

My guess is that Mazda N.A has poured all their advertising dollars into the new Mazda6 (last year) and lost a boatload of money on it since the sales of the 6 has really tanked.

...OTD price will be close to $18K...
I paid $18,021 after tax, title, license, and doc fee etc, and with a rear bumper guard in Feb '09, with three years 0% financing, three months of no payments, and no money down (and no trade in). The '10 model seems to run about $500 more than the '09 though, I guess because of the electronic stability control.

They are giving you the three years of 0% financing along with 90 days of no payments, right? And maybe even no money down? (no reason to put money down on a 0% loan)

You can see the current incentives at www.mazdausa.com , and 0% financing for 36 months definately is in effect. There is also a $500 cash back rebate but I'm assuming that their quoted price takes that into account.

Last edited:
To chime in on the 100k mile club, it's just because it's quite an achievement for vehicles that are so new since the oldest Mazda 5s around are only 5 and a half years old.

The 06s suffers from the usual first years jitters where things still need to be worked out. A lot of these items were worked out. My 07 is pretty solid @ 65k now. I don't expect Mazda to be Toyota reliable (my old Corolla was at 228k and still running very strong when I sold it) but I figure it's a small price to pay for a car that fits the bill: versatile, practical, and fun to drive.

I'll say the 06 has some issues (I have one!), but they certainly weren't first year jitters. Mazda has been building and selling the Premacy since 1999, and the 06 model is second generation.

No, new generations will present new issues. The first batch of the 9th generation Toyota Corollas had issues, regardless of the fact that Toyota has been building Corollas for a looong time. I mean technically with Toyota's track record they shouldn't have had the sticky pedal issue right? Every first batch of vehicles of a new generation will have some sort of kinks to deal with. With the next generation Mazda 5s coming out, I would urge those who don't need to get the latest and greatest right away to hold off one model year to get them. That said, most companies are usually good at dealing with new generation issues for existing customers and correcting them with new batches.

In Mazda's defense, the powertrain on our '06 seems completely solid. Runs smooth, no oil use, same fuel efficiency. We're about to hit 50K miles. With one exception - the clutch slave cylinder - the multiple items we've had to replace under warranty are all well described for the '06s and, to some extent, the '07s. I have not seem the same issues with the '08s and later. We have not had any electrical problems on the 5.

I don't think this vehicle will have problems reaching 100K and well beyond. As irritating as some of our issues have been, it really does look like many of them were addressed for the later years. And after the fixes, the car largely drives like it is new, a few creaks here and there notwithstanding.

Once you get into a 5 there's no turning back. Ask my wife. I have a 2008 Mazda 5 and I still look at it in awe. Try for yourself, you will not regret it!

Back