intercooler upgrade

Alejo_NIN said:
don't ever buy that stupid SMIC
is worthless

for 500 bucks you can have your set up done including a BOV

research!
are you over 300hp? FMIC is overkill unless your going that route. Sure you can custom put thogether a FMIC, but it is mainly just for the appearance of having a FMIC unless you are gonna put down numbers, the SMIC is more than efficient for this car.

efficient up to 10PSI
after that

bah

not worth it in my opinion...
why are people so afraid of FMICs?

Alejo_NIN said:
efficient up to 10PSI
after that

bah

not worth it in my opinion...
why are people so afraid of FMICs?
Not afraid, just unneccesary, I run more than 10 occasionally on mine, and will run more all the time once the EM is finnished, it is fine beyond 10 psi

edit to add: we'll see how large the difference is, on the 18th I organized a group dyno down here and another member and I have nearly the same mods (CAI, IM, 9psi, he has 2.4" custom cat-less side exit and I have 3" cat-less)except he should have his FMIC on by then, I'll be sure to post up the results in here, regardless of what the results are, if there is more than a 5hp difference I'll be extremely suprised. I might eat my words, but thats what tuning is about.

Last edited:
I have the Hiboost FMIC kit and its been one the best if not the best mods I`ve done to my car so I dont understand why anybody would want to upgrade to an aftermarket SMIC.I would call this a sidegrade not upgrade or in other words a promotion with no pay increase(lateral move)...(uhm)

Alejo_NIN said:
don't ever buy that stupid SMIC
is worthless

Who do you think you are making such ignorant statements?

The SMICs are Dyno proven to make ~15WHP. Furthermore, pretty much every single SMIC user is very happy with theirs, wether it be the ETS SMIC or the Turbo Hoses one.

Look man, I'm sure most of the forum users appreciate your How-Tos and all, but I'm tired of your arrogance and ignorance all around. This can be seen in almost every single one of your posts, especially your How-Tos. Not everybody is as capable as you are when it comes to fabricating / installing automotive parts.

Anatoly.

I have the Turbo Hoses SMIC, and I get teh heatsoak in the snow. I'll be buying a FMIC w/ my tax return.

thnx everyone for their support by staying away from SMIC

i guess you guys prove my point.

maybe i'm arrogant, but not as much as you are.

with that said.

i still stand by what i said. SMIC are a piece of s*** after 10PSI....

so...

i'll be waiting for your reply

oh, and being ignorant...and doing how-tos at the same time just makes no sense, right?

you can always ignore me...
oh wait...no, you can't.....you like to point out the ovbious.

Alejo_NIN said:
i still stand by what i said. SMIC are a piece of s*** after 10PSI....

so...

Correction. The SMIC is a POS before 10 PSI @ stock boost. Car runs like a champ before the interwarmer get's one pull on it. Then I'm in Heatsoak City.

IMO not worth my $3XX. I'll be selling it here soon.

It is better than the stocker, I'll give it that. But not by too much. I'd like to see real world comparisons, and have a car dyno'd with each. Have it driven on the street for an hour, then come back and dyno.

don't try to prove my point so much or Custom MSP will come after you with flame thrower...

Knox Joe said:
Correction. The SMIC is a POS before 10 PSI @ stock boost. Car runs like a champ before the interwarmer get's one pull on it. Then I'm in Heatsoak City.

IMO not worth my $3XX. I'll be selling it here soon.

It is better than the stocker, I'll give it that. But not by too much. I'd like to see real world comparisons, and have a car dyno'd with each. Have it driven on the street for an hour, then come back and dyno.

wow so much hating on the SMICs...I have turbohoses and i love it, i dont get heatsoak and theirs is dynoed to give you 16whp with just a SRI added...their website posts this comparison to other ICs...

"Turbohoses OEM replacement intercooler out performs all other SMIC and FMIC at stock boost levels. DYNO tested, we gained 16whp & 10 ft.lbs. of torque at stock boost levels in conjunction with our aluminum piping kit. The majority of other SMIC kits have either modified the intake, added down pipes, exhausts or increased boost levels to obtain similar results"

FMICs look cooler but youre not going to see much difference in performance between FMICs/SMICs unless youre building a serious racer. The turbohoses SMIC is kick ass for a street car in my opinion.

i appreciate all the talk its really helpin me out - even tho its gettin kinda heated

ill give u the low down sorry i did not specify
i really do not plan on the turbo upgrade just cuz im not that rich and i will just be runnin stock boost so thats why i thought that the SMIC would be more efficent while spendin less $$$

plus my MSP is only at 47000 miles so i dont even know if i can do any engine upgrades cuz im not sure if it will void my warenty?? i was thinkin CAI and a turbo timer until i dont get bumper to bumper anymore????

thought??

crashkelly said:
wow so much hating on the SMICs...I have turbohoses and i love it, i dont get heatsoak and theirs is dynoed to give you 16whp with just a SRI added...their website posts this comparison to other ICs...

"Turbohoses OEM replacement intercooler out performs all other SMIC and FMIC at stock boost levels. DYNO tested, we gained 16whp & 10 ft.lbs. of torque at stock boost levels in conjunction with our aluminum piping kit. The majority of other SMIC kits have either modified the intake, added down pipes, exhausts or increased boost levels to obtain similar results"

FMICs look cooler but youre not going to see much difference in performance between FMICs/SMICs unless youre building a serious racer. The turbohoses SMIC is kick ass for a street car in my opinion.

I agree with both Crash and Alejo.....a SMIC is perfect for a streetable stock Boost/turbo MSP at 10PSI and below.

funny how you trying so hard to save the SMIC and Turbohoses website itself says it is a piece of s***...maybe not in those words...but on some nicer ones

yeah, SMIC are actually better than the stock SMIC
heck, no intercooler might actually be better than SMIC
but it will NEVER EVER be better than a front mount
ever wondered why supras don't use SMIC?
exactly

it is a good replacement for someone who has tonds of money and don't want the hassle of paying someone to custom fab the FMIC, sinc eit is a direct stock replacement....but when doing performance upgrades in a car, don't cut corners pal, you'll end up expending twice as much, coz after you want more power, you'll realize what a mistake it was to buy the SMIC and then try to sell it...if you ever sell it.

anyways
to each its own, we're just trying to prove that SMIC is only good, like Turbohoses says, good at STOCK BOOST LEVEL...but seriously, who around here is planning on always be a 6.5PSI?

laterz
crashkelly said:

i appreciate the imput bt actually i am going to stay at the stock boost cuz honestly i cant afford a cupple g's on a new turbo and all the stuff that i have to get along with it but if after a while i do get a new turbo i will take what u said into concideration !!

thanks bro
and thanks everyone for all ur help!!

Alejo_NIN said:
funny how you trying so hard to save the SMIC and Turbohoses website itself says it is a piece of s***...maybe not in those words...but on some nicer ones

yeah, SMIC are actually better than the stock SMIC
heck, no intercooler might actually be better than SMIC
but it will NEVER EVER be better than a front mount
ever wondered why supras don't use SMIC?
exactly

it is a good replacement for someone who has tonds of money and don't want the hassle of paying someone to custom fab the FMIC, sinc eit is a direct stock replacement....but when doing performance upgrades in a car, don't cut corners pal, you'll end up expending twice as much, coz after you want more power, you'll realize what a mistake it was to buy the SMIC and then try to sell it...if you ever sell it.

anyways
to each its own, we're just trying to prove that SMIC is only good, like Turbohoses says, good at STOCK BOOST LEVEL...but seriously, who around here is planning on always be a 6.5PSI?

laterz

actually, i would go forged before changing turbos
you can makes enough power with the stock turbo before it becomes innefficient

also, you probably run out of engine (blow it) with the stock internelas before you need to change the turbo

going forged first is the best

I can't believe this! The SMIC was a great upgrade for my MSP. Not only did it give a noticable gain in power, it also smoothened the entire powerband out out. The stock intercooler is a POS. It is restrictive, and gets heatsoaked after 20mins of hard driving.

The aftermarket SMIC on the other hand, never got heaksoaked on me. You are retarded if you think your SMIC performs worse in the winter. My car feels like a totally different car/ beast in the winter. I don't know what you guys are smoking, but a smic is a great upgrade for $3xx. Get some kind of EMS, and you'll really bring out its potential.

Like Anatoly said, they are dyno proven for 15whp. The numbers don't lie. And in all honestly, anything is better than the stock smic. Just because it doesn't have the bling of a FMIC doesnt mean its useless. Alot of time, energy, and research went into the design of the aftermarket side mount intercoolers. Just because it doesnt give you Gobbs and Gobbs of power, doesn't mean that its not a good product.

Not only is he an smic hater, he's also Supra ignorant. They came stock with side mount intercoolers. A very big one, but a smic non the less. Those cars produced more HP stock than what just about any MSP will ever see. Stop the intercooler drama please.

Last edited:
Back