Intake Question

vicham

:
03 laser blue P5
Is there any noticeable difference between the AEM SRI, Injen CAI, K&N typhoon CAI, Ractive SRI and ebay CAI or SRI????
If there is no big difference....i would probably get an ebay one and get a K&N filter cos it is cheaper
btw....is there any problem with the ebay ones??? and will they fit into an automatic???

I use an AEM SRI. I got it from summitracing.com and it was the one for manual tranny, but I modified it. I have had no problems with it. I have upgraded the filter itself though. Alot of folks use ebay intakes on here. just be careful what you buy. and the cold air intakes, I have heard there is a possiblity of getting water in the intake when it rains.

I have a K&N Typhoon and love it. It's a cai, but I live in san diego, so I doubt that will ever be a problem with h2o, and besides, the K&N comes with a "Drycharger" which is supposed to keep it dry.

Had the drycharger thing too but car still acted like it didn't like the hard rain on freeways & the filter was up behind the headlight away from anything coming thru the radiator. Testing out the oem with K&N drop in & have noticed no difference in performance except no hiss when turning car off. I think the car likes it better actually. Think the mileage is going to be better maybe...still testing. Didn't lose any sound from the header & full exhaust either. Still sets off alarms. Weeeee, such fun.

I started with one of the ebay intakes (that was given to me..) then I upgraded to the AEM SRI also.. no problems with it at all. :)

vicham said:
Is there any noticeable difference between the AEM SRI, Injen CAI, K&N typhoon CAI, Ractive SRI and ebay CAI or SRI????
If there is no big difference....i would probably get an ebay one and get a K&N filter cos it is cheaper
btw....is there any problem with the ebay ones??? and will they fit into an automatic???

If you're goin SRI just do the K&N drop in filter. It'll give you the same gains for a lot less money. If you go CAI do the Ebay and a AEM dry (or oil free) filter. This will give you the same gains as the 2-300 K&N, Injen stuff.

As for the difference in a CAI and a SRI is with the CAI you get cooler air which is better for combustion which makes more power. That's the up side, the down side is if you go through a deep puddle of water you stand a chance at sucking in the water and blowing the engine.

I now wish I would have went with the SRI. Why? Well there are more positives with it.
One, you don't have to worry about the water problem.
Two, while the gain is lower then the CAI (because of the hotter air) it is still a positive gain over the stock air system.
And three, it's cheaper!

Red5_02 said:
(deadhorse How many times has this been discussed now?

Not enough for me to pimp my stuff again!

Vicham: welcome to the forum. Follow the link in my sig for a very nice, inexpensive intake.

Stock intake setup is quieter and brings in cool air. Go with the K&N drop-in filter.

thrasher said:
Stock intake setup is quieter and brings in cool air. Go with the K&N drop-in filter.
It's just so bulky & ugly tho, lol. Mine matches better now since I got an MSP valve cover with the black plastic engine cover on it. Looks like it kinda belongs there now.

i12drivemyMP5 said:
It's just so bulky & ugly tho, lol. Mine matches better now since I got an MSP valve cover with the black plastic engine cover on it. Looks like it kinda belongs there now.

I was thinking of doing the same thing!

The stock air intake system is too restrictive. That's were the gains come from, that and the cooler air. I guess some would say that the noise form the SRI and the CAI is to loud. But I like the tone.

But like I said before, for the best gain and the less money and less noise go with the drop in. Take all of the resignators and air tubing off of the box that holds the filter and you have the SRI.

The whole point of putting it back oem right now is research. I've had the SRI & the CAI & even an SRI made from half of the CAI. I like the look, extra sound, the uncluttered underhood area & hiss when turning car off but I don't like how the car runs noticeably different in heavy rain @ highway speeds or if rainy & in traffic throwing spray. Just seems like it's trying to get dampness in with the air. The filter even has the drycharger thing on it where it sheds water & is up between the fuse box & the driver's side headlight but same thing in rainy weather - boggy vibrationy action. Never dies or throws CELs, just weirds out until out of heavy rain or out from behind other cars. Hasn't rained like that since putting oem with drop in k&n back on. Also checking for best avg mileage per tank set up too. Any body have this same action where crank sensor or coils or something else is actually getting damp instead making it do this? I'm not talking about driving through ponds either, I don't do that. I guess I'll find out next time it rains that hard if the oem keeps that from happening. Car never did that before swapping the air intake.**edit** Don't really like the idea of the open hole pointing right at the radiator where rain spray & hot air blow if removing the other pieces of the intake

Last edited:
well with with my aem sri u can surely feel a difference at night cause its been getting colder at night out hear and intakes love cold air so at night this thing flys pretty fast compared to heatsoaking it during the day. so yeah i wanna say aftermarket intakes do make a good difference.

I have done everything. I went from stock to an ebay style intake, then to an aem short ram then to stock with a K&N drop in, then back to aem, then with the injen CAI, then back to stock and out of all of them I purchased another Injen CAI. I can say that this is the best intake I have had. The stock feels good for a while then dies. There is too much heat in the engine bay and everything gets heat soaked. If you live in a dry area get the injen and if not still get the injen with an aem bypass filter.

I like hearing everyone's thoughts & experiences......&......I think to a certain degree that the big picture full set of all the possible variables associated with differing environments, fuel, lubes, maintenance habits, driving habits & individual mod lists would seem to dictate personal experimentation in an effort to obtain the most optimum setup taking in consideration one's own complete set of variables................wtf, who said that?

What about HKS Super Mega Flow intake????
not much ppl talk about this intake.....anyone use it on p5???

Finally hit some rainy s*** the other day with the oem intake back on & not one bit of weirdness like with sri. Seems to be averaging 50-60 miles more a tank with same driving habits.

Back