Intake issues maybe...

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
I bout a SRI recently and maybe its me missing something but after a couple days my cel came on. Bank 1 running lean. Thought I didn't seal the maf sensor correctly so checked and resealed and cel came back on again today. So what could I be missing? Dirty maf? Just too much air?

Ok been trying everything I can to figure this out and the only thing I can come up with is the car is just getting too much air with the short ram intake. Everything worked flawless before and was getting a easy 28-34 mpg. Now Im lucky to get 25-26. Has anyone had any problems with putting SRI on the 1.6 models? I think I will just have to go back to the stok intake. I cant stand power loss, mpg loos, and the Check Engine light. It kills me. Just looking for ideas of anything I can do to fix it. I really dont want to put stock intake back on. Its big and ugly, but obviously works.

Did you only check at the maf? It could have come loose from the throttle body, or one of the plugs for the nipple on the turn could have come off

Well I thank y'all for resonses, but after tonight I'm taking car back stock minus suspension. I'm going to leave it lowered. Other thank that its going back stock. I'm really tired of screwing up every little thing I try to do to it. Never had the modifying problems like this before. I'm done. Car is staying stock, can't afford to replace everything I try to improve. Thanks anyways guys.

Ok for starters sorry about rant. Just rather frustrated with car right now with car. Intake issue over a month and gauge clusters suck! Lol I love my car and most important I love mazda. I'm sure y'all know how I feel. I do want to fix intake issue.

The brand is Simoto? Somthing like that. And I have clearedd codes several times and dissconnected battery twice both for several hours. Fixed every vaccum leak I could possibly think of. I doubt my O2 sensor just went out all the sudden and car doesn't run rough enough for maf to be bad. Maybe dirty maf just hard to bring myself to buying a 8 dollar can for a couple sprays. Lol I'm at a loss here. Ill double check wires tmrw morning. I'm almost to point of thinking its the intake it self. May try putting stock back in and try it.

Lol you would be surprised how much happier the car idles and feels simply after cleaning the MAF and throttle body. I havent heard anybody really having problems with the Simota. Ive read that our cars are notorious for running quite rich. Have you looked at your spark plugs?

Spark plugs, wires, coils where repaced 10k ago. When to salvage today with brother and in our many findings I found a lx. Got the maf for it 7 bucks cheaper than 80 to see if its the problem. Should know for sure once I hit highway. I hope I can fix it with this.

Eh, I think if the MAF were a problem you would have known before the intake, and it probably would have thrown a code for it. And the MAF you picked up could still probably use a cleaning. You might have been better off just shelling out 8 bucks for the cleaner. Good luck though

Here is a quick recap. Put stock back on, went cruisung with friends from 9pm-2am then 45 min drive home. Did feel like it was cutting out, at least not like it was. Huge difference! And no cel on so far. Ugh! This is not making any sense. I think I'm gonna get maf cleaner and try it. But bottim line I'm getting too much air. Within next week I should have a narrow band hooked up ans kinda give me a better idea of what's going on. And yes I know wide band works much better. But for my lil car narrow band I think will be better off. Plus I like the pretty lights. Lol

Anyway if you got any more ideas please do share. I would love to keep my short ram. But can't be driving with it running so lean like it was.

Narrowbands are very inaccurate and worthless. Borrow a wide band. I dout its getting too much air as that would cause it to run lean and would be pinging or detonating.

If you really do think its getting too much air pull the plugs and see if they're white

The cel keeps flagging bank 1 running lean. And when car has a load on it. (People in car, or highway up slight hill) it will cut out so bad you think the car is gonna die. I don't know anyone remotely close that has a wide band.

Post a video of how it runs, you may be having the same issue as my Honda did

Honestly you could probly through a turbo on your car and run 3-4 psi and be ok without tuning them or anything because they run so rich

But if I am understand you correctly you have a fuel issue and letting more air in and out of your car made it more noticeable. The problem won't go away till you fix it

That's kinda what I was thinking. I just figured it was ok all this time since I never had problems and I got my fuel system cleaned after buying it. I'm gonna pull plugs today and check

ok i pulled 2 of my plugs and both where a little white. So I assume im not getting enough fuel? Where should I start? In the allData manual is shows a high pressure fuel filter and a low pressure filter? Also where would be a good place to get injectors? I am going to run a fuel pressure test today and check that since it will be easier to do than checking filters or injectors. What should the puel pressure be at if I cant find it by chance.

Thanks again!

Not sure for the 1.6 but if fuel pressure is low replace the filters first, if that's not it replace the pump, if that doesn't fix it I'm not sure. I replaced the entire fuel system ecu and main relay in my civic before it quit. I think it ended up being one of the lines leaking but I can't remember

Ok so almost 2 months later I'm still having this issue. Seems to be getting worse since it no longer maters what intake I have on. Had my coils replace under warranty. Still nothing. I have 2 maf sensors both are clean since I finally bought sensor cleaner, holy crap that stuff works! Lol but anyway my car does not seem to get any better, still cuts out really bad at idle and while driving. I'm to the point that I'm going to take it to someone else and let them deal with it. I'm going to try and figure out a way to test fuel pressure. But other than starting to replace fuel system. Idk what to do. I'm tired of getting 18 mpg and my car running like s***.

Back