Intake and Exhaust combos...where to start?

MonctonP5

:
2003 Mazda Protg5
I know this has been tossed around, but my P5 is virtually stock. I am looking for inexpensive (gf obstacle) and tolerable at idle (gf issue) that will give me the throttle response and throatier sound at 4K RPM that will make me grin a bit.

I don't plan any other engine or ''go-fast'' mods...just a question of look and taste.

I've heard the HKS axle-back as well as the Mazdaspeed unit coupled with Injen or Weapon R intakes offer a good compromise.

Anyone have any good feedback or quality comments?

Kinda new to this but so far I love this little black hatchback!

for the intake I've always made my own. just get a universal intercooler piping kit w/couplers. you'll learn a little bit and save some $$$.

i love my mazdaspeed axleback. i did the intake mod with a k&n filter and its great. people who complain about exhaust drone with this exhaust are just exaggerating. its has a nice tone

You'll think I'm nuts, but I find the tip too small. The HKS rear and Corksport tips are the ones I like the best.

Before doing intake and exhaust, can i suggest doing the MP3 ECU?

Is your car a 5spd?

If it is, i suggest this being the first thing you do.

It'll give you slightly advanced timing (requiring premium fuel) but, when it comes to best bang for the buck, no other mod out there will give you the feel this does

But, i personally run an Injen CAI but, i converted it to a short ram by removing the 2nd pipe that goes into the fender, and i love it
I am running an ebay brand $20 on the wife's car with a specter air filter from autozone with the same results

Last edited:
^good advice.

AND GET RID OF THE g/f!! Why does she get a vote?!

(And welcome to the forum!!)

ECU Mod eh...sounds kinda cool...but what does it do for my fuel mileage? I've also come to terms that it's a heavy gutless ride already, just looking for a little better sound and throttle response.

I had a 95 Civic EJ chassis and 92 Tercel with tons of mods that sounded like crap...time to grow up. That's where the experts come into play, like all of you guys that have tested it all.

And the girlfriend is the one that's nice enough not to freak out at all the money I'm gonna spend...lol...so have to take her word into account.

It's good to be here, it's a great ride and I can't wait to see what it's gonna do for me!

the MP3 ECU mod isn't really a MOD so to speak

It's actually the OEM ECU from the Mazda Protege MP3 which also came with an intake manifold that doesn't have the VTCS system, as well as an axleback exhaust tuned from Mazda.

With our cars, they are little puzzles. There is no ONE pcs that is crazy rediculous.

I think the ECU is the biggest, followed by a header, but, those are still only minimal gains.
If you want the best bang out of the car, i say just go with a turbo setup from a mazdaspeed protege.
If you want to go N/A with it, go with the ECU, intake, header, highflow catted midpipe, and catback exhaust.
If you want to go further, you can remove the VTCS from your intake manifold and do a mild port and polish.
If you want to dig deeper, you can get teh JDM intake and exhaust cams as well.
Put all these parts together and you're lookin somewhere between 115 and 120hp total

Is that much gain for all you've spent? No

Will it be faster than a kid with a Civic and just an intake? No

Will it go like stink when compared to how it ran stock? YES!

Something to help the shifts a little, pick up a mazdaspeed protege short shifter.
You could go with another branded shifter for $100 plus, but, for $15-30 you can normally find a mazdaspeed shifter, it'll do dang near the exact same thing

Now, if you HAVE come to realize it is a gutless pig in the power dept, here's where the fun begins

Suspension:

I personally am running the Eibach Prokit with Tokico blue struts and LOVE IT
as well as a Progress rear sway bar and AWR adjustable endlinks.

Throw this or a comperable setup on, and some sticky tires, and i promise you'll get out of your car with a smile every time you go around a corner

then there are always the cosmetic mods.

wheels, mazda tribute washer nozzles, mazda6 rear wiper, HID's, interior bits like gauge rings, gauges-just because i don't trust the stupid stock dummy lights) pedals, shift knobs, stereos, etc.

The list goes on

the mp3 ecu mod isn't really a mod so to speak

it's actually the oem ecu from the mazda protege mp3 which also came with an intake manifold that doesn't have the vtcs system, as well as an axleback exhaust tuned from mazda.

With our cars, they are little puzzles. There is no one pcs that is crazy rediculous.

I think the ecu is the biggest, followed by a header, but, those are still only minimal gains.
If you want the best bang out of the car, i say just go with a turbo setup from a mazdaspeed protege.
If you want to go n/a with it, go with the ecu, intake, header, highflow catted midpipe, and catback exhaust.
If you want to go further, you can remove the vtcs from your intake manifold and do a mild port and polish.
If you want to dig deeper, you can get teh jdm intake and exhaust cams as well.
Put all these parts together and you're lookin somewhere between 115 and 120hp total

is that much gain for all you've spent? No

will it be faster than a kid with a civic and just an intake? No

will it go like stink when compared to how it ran stock? Yes!

Something to help the shifts a little, pick up a mazdaspeed protege short shifter.
You could go with another branded shifter for $100 plus, but, for $15-30 you can normally find a mazdaspeed shifter, it'll do dang near the exact same thing

now, if you have come to realize it is a gutless pig in the power dept, here's where the fun begins

suspension:

I personally am running the eibach prokit with tokico blue struts and love it
as well as a progress rear sway bar and awr adjustable endlinks.

Throw this or a comperable setup on, and some sticky tires, and i promise you'll get out of your car with a smile every time you go around a corner

then there are always the cosmetic mods.

Wheels, mazda tribute washer nozzles, mazda6 rear wiper, hid's, interior bits like gauge rings, gauges-just because i don't trust the stupid stock dummy lights) pedals, shift knobs, stereos, etc.

The list goes on

+1000000

so get an intake or just a filter. a header and maybe a full exhaust then just do suspension, you wont beat much in a straight line but you can own the corners

probin do you happen to have an exhaust clip of your car? i just noticed its the same setup im thinking about going with

so get an intake or just a filter. a header and maybe a full exhaust then just do suspension, you wont beat much in a straight line but you can own the corners

you know, this really helps when i want to pass a mini van on the highway but cant because my car is too slow. but thats ok because i can whoop it on the corners! -_- that was sarcasm

Well after much research, I have seen I can get a Tanabe Super Medallion Hyper Spec Cat-Back coupled with AEM Short Ram Intake for $500.

Apparently the quality and look can't be matched for the price. Any feedback on this combo or individual components? Racing Beat looks hot, but $$$$...like the CorkSport...money kinda talks for now...no shops to tune the ECU around here either...

Latest posts

Back