Instrument cluster programming

wow

:
08 CX9
My '08 CX9 had an instrument cluster problem and I took it to the local dealer and had a new one installed. The new one had 000000 miles on the odometer. I went to another dealer to look at another car to possibly buy and was told that they would not want my CX9 as a trade-in because it only shows 6,000 miles on the odometer. The motor vehicle division in the state of Louisiana said they would have to flag it as "odometer reading not correct" and exempt the mileage, meaning it has 100,000 plus miles. This reduces the value of my car $4000.00. Mazda says they cannot re-program the mileage on a new instrument cluster.
I just lost $4000.00. Anyone else had this problem? What can I do? Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Will

Total BS. It's the responsibility of the stealer who installed the new cluster to program the correct mileage or they are legally liable for committing odometer fraud. If they cannot reprogram it, then they at the very least need to provide you with a statement that the odometer was lawfully replaced and at what mileage. Take this to Mazda corporate and if no satisfactory resolution, take it to small claims court where you can at least recoup the cost of depreciation.

I spent the day yesterday at the dealer where the repairs were made. After they spent an hour on the phone with Mazda corporate, they said it comes from Mazda built un-programmable. All they can offer is a disclaimer statement in the form of a sticker on the door with the mileage on the car when the work was done. I am headed to the Louisiana DMV today to see if they will accept that. I doubt it. I had not thought of small claims court, but that may be in the picture. Thanks Veilside.

Will

I spent the day yesterday at the dealer where the repairs were made. After they spent an hour on the phone with Mazda corporate, they said it comes from Mazda built un-programmable. All they can offer is a disclaimer statement in the form of a sticker on the door with the mileage on the car when the work was done. I am headed to the Louisiana DMV today to see if they will accept that. I doubt it. I had not thought of small claims court, but that may be in the picture. Thanks Veilside.

Will

I can understand why the replacement ODO is not programmable--it reduces fraud. But what surprises me is that Mazda itself cannot program the mileage based on a certification from the dealer of the mileage on the old ODO, before they ship it.

Back