Installing Gauges

Probably the most common easy way to install:

Prosport boost gauge on steering wheel.

unlit.jpg

lit.jpg

5port is that the 'clear electrical boost' gauge? I'm debating between what you have (not on the steering wheel though) and spending more for a gauge that I can make look more stock:

uVSsG1W.png

I can even get the silver layer behind the red tick marks put in for like an extra $10

It's that vs this for less than half the price: http://prosportgauges.com/Clear-lens-Electrical-boost-gauge-1-1.aspx

Also we have probably driven past each other if you've had that 08 ms3 on LI just like me for five years.

5port is that the 'clear electrical boost' gauge? I'm debating between what you have (not on the steering wheel though) and spending more for a gauge that I can make look more stock:

uVSsG1W.png

I can even get the silver layer behind the red tick marks put in for like an extra $10

It's that vs this for less than half the price: http://prosportgauges.com/Clear-lens-Electrical-boost-gauge-1-1.aspx

Also we have probably driven past each other if you've had that 08 ms3 on LI just like me for five years.
Get a mechanical boost gauge, it is more accurate and requires less wiring.

All right sounds like the mechanical is a better bet.

We almost have enough for a Jericho Turnpike meetup at this point.

Its the Prosport clear mechanical Boost gauge. There have been intermittent problems with the Prosport electrical boost gauge. My mechanical gauge has been dead reliable for years.

Yes mine is an 08 Black Mica with the Tirerack Sport Turbine wheels (had it for 5 years). I've seen your car on Jericho Tpke a few times.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123691983-Black-hatchbacks-Post-em/page61
I went ahead and ordered this mechanical boost gauge... no reason to spend three times that to make it match a little more cosmetically.

While I'm waiting I assessed what tools I have and took a look where everything is in the car. I might need a chiropractor on retainer after repeatedly accessing where the hood release line passes through the firewall from the cabin side. I removed the plastic top-plate from the stock TMIC and verified the location of the tube between the manifold and the bypass valve. I'll do the work either this weekend or next depending on how quickly they mail it to me.

I went ahead and ordered this mechanical boost gauge... no reason to spend three times that to make it match a little more cosmetically.

While I'm waiting I assessed what tools I have and took a look where everything is in the car. I might need a chiropractor on retainer after repeatedly accessing where the hood release line passes through the firewall from the cabin side. I removed the plastic top-plate from the stock TMIC and verified the location of the tube between the manifold and the bypass valve. I'll do the work either this weekend or next depending on how quickly they mail it to me.

If you search " how to install prosport mechanical boost gauge " in Google the first one on the list is the how-to I used. A word of warning is the tubing they give you with the kit is JUST long enough to reach the steering wheel.

Last edited:
I put the T into the hose going to the bypass valve, and tested out the boost gauge. Everything seems to be working well. Next I will have to mount the gauge inside the car, which is the hard part.

Getting the tubing they provide on to the base of the T was a big pain in the ass!

I ran the hose through the firewall and installed the vent pod. The gauge seems to be working well. I have not run the wires to the fuse box yet.

Yes, I acquired them (was a bit of a pain since they are often out of stock apparently). I bought the necessary wires and connectors (I hope) today so I'll have to wait until next weekend to get the illumination working. Hopefully running the wires behind the center console isn't too bad...

Yes, I acquired them (was a bit of a pain since they are often out of stock apparently). I bought the necessary wires and connectors (I hope) today so I'll have to wait until next weekend to get the illumination working. Hopefully running the wires behind the center console isn't too bad...
The hardest part is over. Running the wires behind the console is easy,

Back