Installing 2 amps..... Please help

mesoup

:
M3 Hatch, 350z, AE92 GTS
I am installing a 4 channel amp and a mono amp... What is the most appropriate way to connect the 2 amps to the battery? Can i just connect the 2 wires to the battery? or do i need something in between like a power distribution block??? I am so confused...

What's the best way to wire 4 speakers and a sub with 2 amps? What gauge wires?

Run a 2Ga wire to the location of the amps then get a distribution block and run 4ga to each amp

12ga wire for speakers
8-10ga for subs

you could either run two 8 gauge wires or a 4 gauge into a distribution block as long as your mono amp isnt like 1000 watts. either way it doesnt really matter, just make sure they're fused at the battery and grounded in the same spot

Shift_Lost said:
Run a 2Ga wire to the location of the amps then get a distribution block and run 4ga to each amp

12ga wire for speakers
8-10ga for subs

i have already bought 16 gauge wires for my speakers... will it affect performance?

You need to place a decent fuse somewhere within 18" of the battery too. Without knowledge of the models of amps I really can't suggest what type/size though.

I ran 4g from the battery to a distribution block under my drivers seat. From there it spits into 8g to each amp. I have a 1000w rms mono amp under one seat and a 350watt rms under the other seat. Make sure you ground both amps to the same spot to help cancel any wierd noise.

I ran 16g speaker wire to the front speakers, there is a thread on how to pull speaker wire into the front doors. 16g is fine for the speaker wire unless you are going to be running some ridiculous amp, alot of guys go way overboard when it comes to wiring.

I have no problems with power or sound in my car.

If you need any more info, let me know and I can try and help you out.

Matt

urbanbiker said:
I ran 4g from the battery to a distribution block under my drivers seat. From there it spits into 8g to each amp. I have a 1000w rms mono amp under one seat and a 350watt rms under the other seat. Make sure you ground both amps to the same spot to help cancel any wierd noise.

I ran 16g speaker wire to the front speakers, there is a thread on how to pull speaker wire into the front doors. 16g is fine for the speaker wire unless you are going to be running some ridiculous amp, alot of guys go way overboard when it comes to wiring.

I have no problems with power or sound in my car.

If you need any more info, let me know and I can try and help you out.

Matt

I have: http://www.cardomain.com/item/ECLXA1000, http://www.cardomain.com/item/ROC551X

I already have 2 fuses and a long enough 8 gauge wire for one amp... I think I will buy another power wire for my other amp. I won't get a distribution block as it is more expensive to go that route. So having 2 power wires connect directly to the battery won't affect anything right?

since my equipment is less powerful than yours, another 8 gauge wire would work?

hey,

yeah with that kind of power, 8g would be fine. If you already have the fuses and everything and want to keep it cheap, by all means run the two seperate wires. Its just going to be a pain in the butt to run both wires.

The distribution blocks are only 20 bucks, so if you got one of those and a single 4 guage wire to run all the way to the back and then split the 8g in two, it would be a little cleaner and easier way to do it

Matt

A cheap way to do it is to run the heavy gauge up to where the amps requie the 'split'. Crimp 'P' connectors on each wire and then bolt the three connectors together. Tape really well. Do the same for the grounds.

I do not recommend using any sort of crimp connectors anywhere in your power cable path. The cable is connected directly to your battery and even with the fuse near the battery the amount of potential power going through it is enough to set your car on fire should it short out.

Do things right in the name of safety. Run two wires (both fused by the battery) or upgrade to 4ga (still fused at the battery) and use a fused distribution block in the trunk to split the wire.

PS, this thread should be moved to the audio section.

Back