installed single runner intake manifold on my mp5!

lol I am having major deja vu reading this thread... was going through all the number crunching about a month ago on this. Good stuff LordWorm.

Hehe, number crunching is fun....

Its also the best way to illustrate that there is no "dark art" to manifold design....its pure mathematics....with a dash of common sense...

keen to see the numbers on your manifold to see how it will perform on an NA motor though =)

Hehe, number crunching is fun....

Its also the best way to illustrate that there is no "dark art" to manifold design....its pure mathematics....with a dash of common sense...

keen to see the numbers on your manifold to see how it will perform on an NA motor though =)

I honestly think it will be much too big for NA. I was paying for time on the flow analysis software so I didn't run every combo possible, but I imagine that the ideal plenum size is quite a bit smaller for NA. Stranger things have happened though, it might just show some gains on a NA car... we will see in the coming month. :)

I am actually more interested to see what a design for NA would do on a mild boosted setup... and if that ends up being good, I will make 2 versions of the manifold, 1 "street version" for NA and mild boost, and the current design will be called the "race version" for the big boys. One thing at a time though, need to get mine done and make sure that my figuring isn't off in any way before jumping the gun.

What if you started with a stock mani, removed the VCTS, and started porting it until you got the right numbers. Would that work or not?

What if you started with a stock mani, removed the VCTS, and started porting it until you got the right numbers. Would that work or not?

depends

its still an insanely lossy manifold, VTCS or otherwise.

its not designed to be a performance manifold.... you could certainly make it better, but you'd be far better off starting with something that flows more and at a higher velocity to start with and porting it up from there....

Just shout out when the magic has been procured for NA IMs, plenty will buy. I'll be right there ready to pay for something significantly better.

Hey WORM, is the single runner that Protege Garage sells a replacement just for the upper or do you take the lower off as well.

replacement for what upper or lower? its a totally different manifold.... lifted from the 626

OK, I thought that the FS mani was a two parter. Upper plenum and lower plenum. I was just checking to see if it was just a replacement for the upper. My bad. It is a one piece mani right?

I believe the 626 manifold is one piece. Either way, the ENTIRE Protege manifold comes out when installing the 626 manifold.

At the beginning of the thread, someone said something about reconnecting the plug to the VCTS, so as not to through an engine light. If someone has a pic or a graph advising me of this plug it would be greatly appreciated.

I just bought it along with a set of AWR motor mounts and a JDM intake cam. Going to the shop today and having my car dynoed. I will have it dynoed when I am done also.

^awesome! Make sure to share your before and after results.

I wished I dynoed my car before I added a bunch of stuff.

No that is for three and it will also be after each mod. Actually he jhust said that will be for the entire setion after each mod. So, for three differant mods and a dyno run after each, that's not too bad of a deal.

Last edited:
So he's going to let you unstrap the car from the dyno after each pull so you can swap parts?

I don't know how accurate just one pull will be after each new part. When I dynoed my car, I did 3 back-to-back pulls without changing anything. After each pull, power and torque increased.

I guess if you are going to do it this way, make sure the engine/transmission are up to operating temp before you make each pull.

Back