Installed Double-DIN Kenwood Nav into 2012 Mazda5 Sport

cowdog360

:
2012 Mazda 5 Sport
Hello all,

Spent the better part of the day installing a Kenwood DNX570HD navigation unit into our new 2012 Mazda5 sport. Here's a list of parts I used:

Scosche 010MA1548B Dash Kit
Metra 70-7903 Wiring Harness
Metra 40-HD10 (the Scosche HAAB is the equivalent) antenna adapter
Axxess ASWC-1 Steering wheel control interface (get the one with the -1 because you can update it yourself with a microUSB cable)

All of those accessories costed right around $100 purchasing from amazon. You could probably do better on eBay buying more generic parts.

I should write up an installation guide as there were a LOT of steps. Getting the factory radio out basically entails removing the entire center console assembly and the upper dash.

I used the factory Bluetooth hole in the dash above the gauges, just hot glued the factory mic to the plastic. I actually need to take everything apart again and wire up the backup camera. However I'm super pleased that now I have a in dash nav system that can do dual zone audio for DVDs (rear monitor in the future). Most importantly, we have Bluetooth and the factory steering wheel controls work brilliantly.

So far just playing with the Kenwood unit, things I like:
Garmin NAV
Pandora, Aha
Bluetooth
Dual Zone
Screen is very clear and crisp.
Amazing sound.. without replacing the speakers yet the audio is MUCH better.

Things I don't like:
Unit takes about 15 seconds to boot into radio mode and another 20 sec after that for the nav to initialize.
iPhone 5 native lightning cable doesn't work properly. The unit sees the iPhone, but all audio comes out of the phone. I had to buy the Kenwood cable and use a 30-pin to lightning adapter (that all ran me another $70). Funny thing is an aftermarket iphone5 lightning cable won't work at all.. there is DEFINITELY and authorization chip in the factory cable.

Ok, that's good for now.. shoot me any questions. Here's a pic of the finished work:

photo.JPG

Here are some good links you will need to help install camera/stereo:
Thread here with details and pics for camera install: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...navigation-and-backup-camera&highlight=Camera
Detailed instructions on removing console/dash and all the wiring harness plugs: http://www.justanswer.com/mazda/5310s-mazda-sport-remove-radio-2012-mazda.html

Last edited:
…Unit takes about 15 seconds to boot into radio mode and another 20 sec after that for the nav to initialize…
View attachment 201014
That would annoy me so much! Totally defeats the point of an in-car HU. I would expect it to boot right up. The facotry Nav on the Fit (which internet says it an Alpine HU) takes ~1 sec to boot into radio and aside from the 3 or so sec delay forcing you to read the Nav disclaimer (which is prob also boot-up time), it takes ~5 sec total to get into Nav.

Last edited:
Nice. Im pretty happy with the kenwood gps I got in my Mz5 also. The slow boot up time is a bit annoying, but I like all the options it was loaded with. Our family streams pandora from my wifes phone on long road trips. I found that playing with the equalizer I was even able to squeeze some more bass out of the stock speakers.

I'm hoping to see what JVC comes out with this year. Their units boot extremly fast and the user interfaces are much quicker from the ones I've played with. However, the wife seems to like this Kenwood, so I'll probably just leave it since it's her daily driver. I also think I may have found a better way to remove the radio without taking the whole console apart.. will have to experiment.

I like your work very much and am considering such a project myself, this will definitely help and somewhat confirms the suspicion that the output/signal source from the stock radio blows. I've already blown one on the Infinity speakers in the rear, but can also confirm that even a modest amplifier and speaker upgrade does a world of good- I've never been so disappointed from a late model OEM audio system as much as I have been from my 2012 M5 GT.... and If I already did have have BT, I already would have done this project....

I'm hoping to see what JVC comes out with this year. Their units boot extremly fast and the user interfaces are much quicker from the ones I've played with.

That was one of the bigger reasons I put a JVC unit in my 5 and the same one in my Dakota. The radio is playing within about 1 or 2 seconds after starting the car. Almost no menu lag at all. I always thought of JVC as a low end but I've been really pleased with these units.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Pk0b6UGtrh9/p_105NT3HDT/JVC-KW-NT3HDT.html

Can I assume if you install the Scosche 010MA1548B Dash Kit it can accommodate a wide variety of GPS units? In following the link to Crutchfield I see that all the units they sell are labeled as non-compatible with our M5, but I'm guessing that's not the case if you have the Scosche, right?

Correct, I don't think crutchfield has the right data, because with that or the metra double-din kit you can easily fit a double-din GPS or DVD unit in your dash.

Access to head unit connectors without removing the whole thing?

Thanks for the links to your photos (great install!) and the installation instructions. They look pretty close to what Mazda recommends for their CD changer installation (found those instructions at http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/yhst-24809172479195/mazda5audio12.pdf).

I know this will make me sound lazy, but I'm looking at installing an Alpine KTP-445U by making my own T-cable using Metra's 70-7093 and 71-7093 adapters, and putting the actual amp down inside the center console. Is there any hope of reaching the connector on the back of the head unit without actually pulling the head unit out? Less time spent disassembling my brand new car = happier spouse, hence my motivation to not take the whole dash apart if it's not necessary! :) This would not be my first car stereo install (fourth, actually) but previous vehicles I owned ('89 Ford Taurus, '97 Saturn SC2, 2002 Subaru Impreza) required much less disassembly to get to the back of the head unit (the Saturn and Subaru just had trim pieces that popped off, then four screws to pull the head unit).

Being able to use a T-cable rather than having to muck with wiring up an amp to the car battery (otherwise I'd just use the a/d/s powerplate I have sitting around) will also boost SAF, since it will require 0 permanent modifications to the car.

Thanks!

Thanks for your post - helped to convince me to replace the stock unit on my 2012 GT with a JVC KD-X50BT.
Did you connect the blue wire on the antenna adapter ( & if so, to ant/amp power out from your Kenwood?)? I'm thinking that if I don't need to use the Power Antenna & Amp Turn-On leads on the 70-7903 harness, I can move those wires/pins to the (empty) slots on that connector that have the 2 signals the ASWC-1 needs. That should make this a plug & play setup without touching the vehicle harness/wires that mate with the 70-7903.

To clarify, looking at the ASWC documents, it wants to connect to pin 1N and tie pin 1P to ground. Those pins correspond to blanks on the 70-7903 but the wires/pins for 1H (Pwr Ant) & 1J (Amp on) might not be needed. If 1H & 1J aren't needed, moving them to 1N & 1P makes the ASWC install easier. I'd prefer to solder & heat shrink at a table instead of altering the vehicle side of the harness.

Thanks again!

Since Mazda removed the GPS options for the 2012 and up model years I was looking into aftermarket alternatives.
So far I only found one website with the system build for the 5, it is out of China of course.
I wonder if anyone has had any experience with it or can suggest an alternative that is reasonably cheap.
From that site, once you include all the options and shipping, system price comes to about 1k but it would include DVR so you can record your driving, 360 degree camera view for parking, new headrests with build in 9 inch touch screen display and on-screen tire pressure monitors and the usual 8 inch GPS/DVD setup, I do believe it supports steering wheel buttons but would need to confirm 100% first.
I like that is has a bigger screen then kenwood and looks more like an OEM rather then an add-on.

Back