input on downpipe purchase

Pbo

:
RIP MS6. NEW MS3!
im ordering a downpipe in the next few days, so hopefully you all give me some feedback.
i am opting for the corksport dp, as it is the cheapest.
i noticed the design is much different than all the other available dp's such as cp-e's, atp. etc, as the corksport dp has 2 seperate outlets for the wastegate and main exhaust flow.

why is there such a drastic price difference? and how does the corksport dp run as opposed to other companys products??

I will tell you that I was very happy with my corksport downpipe until recently. I am BADLY overboosting it may be a design flaw where the wastegate flapper doesn't open fully to vent excess boost pressure. Also some people have had the welds crack on them. If I could have done it again, I would have spent the extra cash and gotten the cp-e pipe WITH cat, or the new cobb downpipe.

ahh thats horrible, i guess thats why corksport is much cheaper. how long was the dp functioning properly before it begain acting up.
and where can i get some more info on the cobb dp?
i just ordered the cobb sri a few days ago, am planning on cobb ap, might as well throw in a cobb dp and have a cobb beast

cobb doesn't make a speed6 downpipe only a speed3. i'm not sure if the corksport downpipe for the speed6 suffered the same fate as those with a speed3. but corksport is only a short downpipe where as all the others also replace the second cat. i would go with cp-e if you want one with a cat. if not its between the uncatted cp-e one and atp's if you want a full downpipe.

we've not had waste gate issues on the corksport ms6 downpipe. there is quite a bit better clearance for the flapper on that pipe when it comes to the mazdaspeed6. as has already been said, the corksport is a shorty downpipe that allows you to keep one factory cat, which is nice for reducing smoke and emissions, as well keeping johnny law off your back!

we've not had waste gate issues on the corksport ms6 downpipe. there is quite a bit better clearance for the flapper on that pipe when it comes to the mazdaspeed6. as has already been said, the corksport is a shorty downpipe that allows you to keep one factory cat, which is nice for reducing smoke and emissions, as well keeping johnny law off your back!

i didnt know it was a short dp, i feel like it being shorter may hold back power? am i right or completely wrong. also, are there any smoke issues with any of the aftermarket dp's? and how is the atp dp performance wise, as it is my second choice to the corksport

If you match the corksport with a testpipe or racepipe (like corksport or turboxs) it equals a full downpipe by other companies.

I have heard (although I may be wrong) that downpipes don't MAKE the turbos smoke, but it does allow you to see the smoke. So even if I go back to stock (I smoke now btw, think everyone knows :() it will probably not smoke for the dealership, no new turbo. This is because the cats burn up the smoke

so basically the only way to avoid the smoking syndrome is to get a downpipe with a cat. my plans went from $370 to $550+......its a horrible thing

Sometimes doing it right the first time will cost a little more. But in the end the benefits are there.

so basically the only way to avoid the smoking syndrome is to get a downpipe with a cat. my plans went from $370 to $550+......its a horrible thing

your not avoiding anything by doing that, just putting a band aid over a bigger problem, take it to your dealer, there is a TSB for this

lol get used to it haha , ive done the same with in the past few weeks i wanted to spend $$$ and now i have spent $$$$ hahaha

your not avoiding anything by doing that, just putting a band aid over a bigger problem, take it to your dealer, there is a TSB for this

well my car isnt smoking yet, im trying to avoid the smoke ive heard so much about when i install the dp. its at 30,000miles and i havent seen smoke since i bought it at 25,000. if i get the dp and it starts smoking i of course dont want to bring it in to mazda with the installs in place. are you saying i should take the car in stock and have them fix whatever the issue is with possible smoke in the future??
what may be causing the smoke is it the turbo seals leaking or some other kind of mzr specific?

i put a dp on mine and no smoke. smoke can be caused by 2 things, either you got the bad batch of turbos with out of spec seals, or a oil is puddling somewhere in your pcv system and goes away after the car warms up

now-a-days not much, cat converters have come a long way and a pretty free flowing, but it will always be no cat>with cat

best to do it right the 1st time....buy a CP-E DP with high flow cat and not worry about it. No CELs and life time 100% warranty...have mine for 14 months now and the best mod for power out there.. combine it with a CAI or SRI and you are in good starting shape..

Hey Guys, I know this is an old thread. But do you think there would be interest in a non-catted DP for $350 and an option to have a spun metallic high flow cat for an additional $100. This is a complete DP, meaning it replaces the DP and the RP/MP. Kit would be a V-band based setup so those going big turbo can keep their DP for the bigger turbo that has a v-band setup. Full 3", Stainless Steel construction, with extra 02 bung for wideband included.

Let me know what you guys think, if we can get 10 people together, I can make it happen in less than 2 weeks.

-Mazda3Mods

i will have a catted shorty downpipe available next month if all goes as planned. for everyone that bought test pipes and wants a cat still, this could be a good option.

Back