Infotainment update

FYI, TomTom only provides the hardware and software for the navigation portion of the system...

Why are shoppers surprised the system is outdated and troubled AFTER purchase? One can tell within seconds of operating it. Hence the reason Mazda has completely ditched the system and won't be selling 2016 CX-5's and Mazda6's with the old unit starting Q2 2015.

Why are shoppers surprised the system is outdated and troubled AFTER purchase? One can tell within seconds of operating it. Hence the reason Mazda has completely ditched the system and won't be selling 2016 CX-5's and Mazda6's with the old unit starting Q2 2015.

I guess it comes down to thinking how bad can it be in a '15 $32K model.Something that really isn't seen in a test ride which doesn't have your
phone paired or IPod downloaded.Or no opening button on the fob for the cargo door.

Last edited:
I'm just tired of hearing my wife complain about the IPod resume,phone/phonebook download on start up

You may want to turn that option off on her iPhone. I turned it off last summer and sync is much quicker.

EDIT: Phonebook download

Last edited:
You may want to turn that option off on her iPhone. I turned it off last summer and sync is much quicker.

EDIT: Phonebook download

Thanks,K.

She has a S3 but will upgrade soon to an S5 which I have and works with texting nd downloads pretty fast.The IPod isn't used much except on a longer drive.

thought it was somewhat funny that when i went to my dealership to talk about the issues and the next info on carplay the response i got was "Apple seems to have their hands full repairing bugs, let alone releasing complete carpal software to us for our vehicles." It appears that deflection is key.... :(

"We'd have more luck playing pickup sticks with our butt-cheeks than we will getting an update."
- Neil Page

Nice try but no cigar I bet.

The rest of the infotainment (audio, phone, SMS, voice interface etc) is Mazda, probably outsourced to Visteon.

I thought I remember someone stating it was Johnson Controls.

What do you think the chances are that the updated headunit in the 2016 model will be easily swappable? On mazdagear.com they are selling the current crappy one for ~$500. I'd imagine once the new ones are out, they will have them available there. I'm guessing it'll answer the problem of losing setting controls and the difficulty of camera adapters and what not...

What do you think the chances are that the updated headunit in the 2016 model will be easily swappable? On mazdagear.com they are selling the current crappy one for ~$500. I'd imagine once the new ones are out, they will have them available there. I'm guessing it'll answer the problem of losing setting controls and the difficulty of camera adapters and what not...

That $500 gets you the GPS module that connects to the head unit via USB.

http://automotive.tomtom.com/en/success-stories/mazda/mazda-nb1

"The best connected navigation experience
Mazda Navigation System NB1 was developed in 2012 as a successful successor to the NVA-SD8110. Panasonic built the head unit and TomTom provided navigation software with a full map of Europe, and drivers in applicable countries received a LIVE Services trial to discover the benefits of TomTom Traffic, amongst other services (such as TomTom Places or Weather).

The system was first rolled out worldwide in one of Mazda's best-selling vehicles, the CX-5. In 2013, the offering expanded to the new Mazda6 and CX-9 and Mazda3 in the United States."

"TomTom's modular solution
The NB1 is the outcome of TomTom's strategic partnerstip with Mazda aimed at developing affordable yet state-of-the-art navigation. We have developed the NaviBox, a device tailored to connect to the head unit externally via USB and 100% controllable via the unit's touchscreen. This flexible, modular device can be installed behind the dashboard at the dealer and offer all the benefits of advanced navigation that does not overhaul the main unit."

The new one makes use of a commander knob. Actually, two knobs. Not sure if they're optional for functionality. In non-US spec pre-2016 CX-5 there is a knob that takes the place of one cupholder. For 2016 they redesigned the whole area so it has both knobs and cupholders. So in short... maybe.

Does anyone know if the new Connect in the 2016 CX5 is compatible (or will work) if installed in a 2015 CX5? Also, where can I get one ... and fast?

Latest posts

Back