Information diplay regarding "Miles Remaining".

I have been driving my CX-5 Touring for about three weeks now and have had to fill up the tank twice. Each time, I filled up my tank when the "Miles Remaining" seen on the info. display showed less than 5 miles remaining. However, during fill-ups it only fills to about 12 Gallons despite the fact that the tank capacity is 14.8 Gallons. Is there some amount kept for "reserve" ?

Has anyone tried driving even when the display shows 0 miles worth of fuel remaining ? Does this mean there is still about 50 miles to go beyond that ?

Has anyone tried driving even when the display shows 0 miles worth of fuel remaining ? Does this mean there is still about 50 miles to go beyond that ?
Yes, I have driven beyond the 0 mile mark by about 10 miles, and still only put in around 13 gallons.

Edmunds noted this in their long term review. The display is conservative. There's about a gallon and a half remaining at 0.

As I mentioned in another thread - once the pump shuts off when filling, it takes a minimum of 5-6 additional low volume squeezes (ie, only partially pull the handle), waiting at least 5 seconds between, to actually fill the tank. It shuts off about 1.5 gallons before it is actually full.

We are cautioned however to NOT put in extra fuel after the pump shuts off because we run the chance of getting fuel in the charcoal canister and purge valve. A costly repair if we do this. We can get by doing this many times but, it only take once or twice to mess up these components. Ed

We are cautioned however to NOT put in extra fuel after the pump shuts off because we run the chance of getting fuel in the charcoal canister and purge valve. A costly repair if we do this. We can get by doing this many times but, it only take once or twice to mess up these components. Ed

I like getting over 400 miles on a fill up, which is impossible if the tank isn't actually full. The pump shuts off long before the tank is even close to being full. Mazda can't very well claim a 430 mile range if you can't actually fill the tank. And you can't fill the tank unless you activate the pump several times after it initially shuts off.

I cannot find anything in the manual that warns about overfilling the fuel tank causing damage. Where can I find a more info on that?

I did mention this in another tread:

On old cars, you could damage the emissions canister filter on the EVAP system.

For most modern car designs, emissions canister damage is practically impossible trough overfilling, dispite the loads of misinformation you find on the Internet about this. This is because most EVAP systems (those I've seen anyway) vent at the fill pipe opening or some other place away from the gas, so you can't get gas in the canister... I havn't seen schematics for the CX-5, but I think I saw what looks like a vent hole near the fill pipe opening the other day.

So while it's at your own risk, I very much doubt it could do any damage to overfill.

I like getting over 400 miles on a fill up, which is impossible if the tank isn't actually full. The pump shuts off long before the tank is even close to being full. Mazda can't very well claim a 430 mile range if you can't actually fill the tank. And you can't fill the tank unless you activate the pump several times after it initially shuts off.

I reach 430 miles with almost every tank I've filled. That is before I hit "0 range", though admittedly I have gone past "0 range" quite a few times.

Not true.

I always stop filling when the pump shuts off the first time and I regularly go well over 400 miles on a single non-topped-off tank. Last summer I went 507 miles on a single fill (non-topped). Still, it only took 13.5 gallons and I have the AWD 15.3 gallon tank.

I don't know if newer cars have solved the flooded charcoal canister problem or not but I don't feel the need to top-off the tank when I'm getting well over 400 miles/tank without the extra squeezes. Why risk it?

I have been driving my CX-5 Touring for about three weeks now and have had to fill up the tank twice. Each time, I filled up my tank when the "Miles Remaining" seen on the info. display showed less than 5 miles remaining. However, during fill-ups it only fills to about 12 Gallons despite the fact that the tank capacity is 14.8 Gallons. Is there some amount kept for "reserve" ?

You can see from my fuelly fillups that our usual fillup is 11.x to 12.x gallons. I also have the 14.8 gallon tank and know that the "miles remaining" is a very conservative estimate. My wife panics anytime the gauge gets close to 0 miles remaining but I think there is at least 1/8 of a tank remaining once you hit the 0 mark. Personally, I've driven past the "0 mile" mark lots of times and I would have no problem driving 50 miles past it. Everyone drives differently however so just know it is at your own risk the more you push things.

As I mentioned in another thread - once the pump shuts off when filling, it takes a minimum of 5-6 additional low volume squeezes (ie, only partially pull the handle), waiting at least 5 seconds between, to actually fill the tank. It shuts off about 1.5 gallons before it is actually full.

Are you really able to get 1.5 more gallons in your tank after it initially shuts off? I have tried to top mine off a couple of times and I never get any where that much more gas in it.

You can see from my fuelly fillups that our usual fillup is 11.x to 12.x gallons. I also have the 14.8 gallon tank and know that the "miles remaining" is a very conservative estimate. My wife panics anytime the gauge gets close to 0 miles remaining but I think there is at least 1/8 of a tank remaining once you hit the 0 mark. Personally, I've driven past the "0 mile" mark lots of times and I would have no problem driving 50 miles past it. Everyone drives differently however so just know it is at your own risk the more you push things.

Yeah, my wife starts panicking too once we are close to the 0 mile mark !!!. However, it's just that this is my first car with this feature and was really curious as to why I am not able to fill close to the tank capacity when it says 0 miles remaining.

I reach 430 miles with almost every tank I've filled. That is before I hit "0 range", though admittedly I have gone past "0 range" quite a few times.

I just had two fill-ups and reached about 350 miles on both the times. After the fill-up, the display shown about 400 miles remaining but the actual was only about 350 miles. Considering that only 12 gallons of fuels went in, I get about 28.5 mpg which matches with what is shown on the display.

I just put in 10.323 gallons. I tried to squeeze in more gas and got about 0.3 gallons extra in my tank. I drove 354.5 miles and got 34.3 mpg. If you do the math I could have driven 153 more miles and gotten over 500 miles on a tank.

Are you really able to get 1.5 more gallons in your tank after it initially shuts off? I have tried to top mine off a couple of times and I never get any where that much more gas in it.

This is going to depend on the gas pump and doesn't have much to do with the car. Some are more sensitive than others. Some cut off early and I've had a pump where the shutoff wasn't functioning, went in to take a leak and came back to a big mess.

I've changed my driving habits about a month and a half ago as I now carpool with three others. I'm still easily doing 400 plus miles on a tank and averaging 34-37 mpg. I decided to try topping off my car and even though it still wasn't topped completely off, I was able to put in 16 gallons on the 14.8 gallon tank. The pump shut off on it's own at 12.6 gallons.

i get a very good average of 430-450 miles to the tank without "overfilling" and this is before I get to 0 miles. **KEEP IN MIND I DO 75-85% HIGHWAY** Now one thing I have noticed that changes my MPG dramatically is WHERE i get my gas from. I have tried many gas stations but I believe my car loves MOBIL gas and luckily I have found one that sells for about $3.29 for 87 octane here in SoFla.

Back