Info on stock rims

Fede_italiano

Contributor
:
2003.5 Mazda Protege' MazdaSpeed
Guys,

How much do the stock RC weight?
Are they forged?

I think that I might have one bent and if I cannot find a used one I might decided to buy for 4 new rims...

If a rim is lighterthan the stock one, for example 20lbs or 17 lbs, what is the main difference with respect of the stock ones?

Thanks for the help

The stock rim is about 25 lbs. About 41 lbs if you have the stock bridgestone on it.

girth said:
The stock rim is about 25 lbs. About 41 lbs if you have the stock bridgestone on it.
I did some search.
Thanks guys.

I will try to find pics of a car with RPF1 enkey and Konig imagine.
Will see what happens.

Fede_italiano said:
I did some search.
Thanks guys.

I will try to find pics of a c...ar with RPF1 enkey and Konig imagine.
Will see what happens.
Pirahnas MSP has the Imagine in an 18 and the Other Wheel is an Enkei.

the stock ones are not forged,and are heavier then hell.

there are a lot of after market wheels that are lighter the look good.

Lighter wheels = faster acceleration and better braking due to reduced rotational inertia, and better suspension usage due to less weight being moved up and down. As a result, the car feels "lighter on it's feet" - because it has lighter feet.

BUT... a lighter 18" wheel may not outperform a 17" because the weight is carried further out on the wheel. Likewise, the smaller sidewall lends less sidewall flex, smaller "slip angles", perhaps a more go-kart like feel but a less progressive transition from grip to slide.

Unfortunately, poorly-made too-light wheels can also bend easier and, in extreme cases, flex or even break.

Stick to known sellers (Tirerack.com has some lighter-than-stock wheels that look reallly good). Also check the F/S and WTB board for used MSP wheels, they come up pretty regularly.

Get and AFC and you'll be singing a different tune.

My friend has a Spec-V and went from the heavy stockers (22+ lbs, 17") to some Rota Slipstreams (14 lbs, 16") and said the difference was night and day.

Back