info on ION

not sure where the info comes from, i kinda worded it wrong but i did mention its irrelevant if you make it or not. Im not a naysayer, to be honest i would buy the ion exhaust, look at it. I dont think that price is unreasonable, its well put together, PROVEN gains, theres nothing to argue. No ones forcing anyone to pay for it. If you dont want it then fine, theres always custom. Theyre the only ones making it now(true 3" Turboback)(there might be a few but i havent seen them personally so i might be wrong), others are in development, thats all there is to it. When theres more options then you have choices but limited run, mandrel bent, ss exhausts arent cheap. I know it first hand.

Where does anyone get this "info" anyways? The exhaust systems are all manufactured in house, from start to finish. And yes you're right about the limited quanity production; there are ~3500 MSP's in North America; we've factored our R&D costs etc over ~300 units which represents an approximate 8.6% of the total market which is a very accurate/conservative estimation.

Last edited:
Stormtrooper77 said:
Brullen exhausts and mufflers are high quality pieces.
what ???
what are u talkin about ? a cat-back ? turbo back ? what does this have to do with iON ?????

Brullen is making parts for ION, Brullen is based here in Toronto and do amazing work. A few of us have been bugging them to make the downpipe for us but they wont do it so either someone else is making the downpipe for ION or they have an agreement not to do it.

iON Performance said:
daedalus - For all those skeptics out there, why don't we put up a challenge; if you can design, fabricate and produce our exhaust system for the cost that you were implying that our system costs to manufacture (including factoring in R&D costs/systen)~$900US, we will pay you to do it for us. Simple as that. Are you up to the challege? And FYI, MSRP on the exhaust is $1599US. Forum members automatically get a $200US discount. If the USD was as strong as it was 2 yrs ago, prices would definately reflect that. Unfortunately the USD relative to CAD is still on the decline.

iON Performance - I in no way am trying to attack the quality of your workmanship or the time, effort, and cost that went into development. You get what you pay for and I understand that. In fact, I will be ordering a turbo back from you this winter just to prove that very fact. Hope doing buisness with you is as good as people say it is. Peace.

Stormtrooper77 - yes you're right, and hence the reason why some of our parts we have them manufacture under contract.

tekkie<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_1206625", true); </SCRIPT> - They make some of our Subaru stuff under contract; and our cat-deletes for the Mazdas. The MSP turbo-backs etc are done in house. The reason why we have not contracted Brullen to do our MSP stuff is that they simply don't have the proper equipment or personal to work with the ultra tight radius stainless mandrels nor for TIG welding. [The stainless mandrels that we use to allow for clearance and proper tuned length is done by a hydroforming process; the same process used by BMW, Porsche etc to form some of their chassis components. Dies to do hydroforming is mucho expensive]

Last edited:
Sorry my bad, either way they do great work I have seen some of the exhausts that they have done for MSP's. Their customer support is second to none from everyone that I know that has dealt with them.

tekkie<script type="text/javascript"> vbmenu_register("postmenu_1206625", true); </script> - They make some of our Subaru stuff under contract; and our cat-deletes for the Mazdas. The MSP turbo-backs etc are done in house. The reason why we have no contracted Brullen to do our MSP stuff is that they simply don't have the proper equipment or personal to worth with the ultra tight radius stainless mandrels nor for TIG welding.[/QUOTE]

tekkie - and we don't refute that fact; hence the reason why we've been working in conjunction with Brullen for so many years. The MSP systems that they've currently built are 2.5" and not 3" though.

Last edited:
im about to say ill make ion a webpage for free haha. ion if you are interested just pm me or soemthing, all m old sites are down but i can get something up quick(like tonight) and then something tight up in like 2 weeks.

I think they have also done 3" systems, not that its important. I am glad to hear that you are working with good vendors such as them.

Here is the issue though, I can take my car over to them and pick it up the same day and its done, I order your exhaust and I wait waaaaay to long. Granted they do not have the exact same system and I am not saying that theirs is any better than yours because I dont think anyone disputes the fact that your system is amazing and that its the only turbo back exhaust.

What some of us are getting at is that the pieces you are making are not custom so why cant you stock them? you do realize that you are losing business because of this right? I just dont understand why you want to limit yourself like this when you could be selling more product. If I had a business and people told me that they would buy my products if I stocked them I would do it. I mean you dont need to make 100 of them you just need a few.

Everyone that has complained about ION says its because of the delays, product in stock = put in box and ship = 1 week to our door = very happy customer = better reviews because of quick response = more people buying = more money for ION = more spending cash for Jack (shocked) (yippy) pretty simple huh ;)

Seriously I just do not understand why you would not want to do that (shrug)

iON Performance said:
tekkie - and we don't refute that fact; hence the reason why we've been working in conjunction with Brullen for so many years. The MSP systems that they've currently built are 2.5" and not 3" though.

mazdaspdprotege said:
what ???
what are u talkin about ? a cat-back ? turbo back ? what does this have to do with iON ?????
Here you go:

flat_black said:
I bought the N/A downpipe from them, and it's a wonderful product. But it was made by Brullen for them, not by them in particular; They have no particular 'shop', really. They just resell other products, made by others. They were responsive to communications, but yes, the delays were quite annoying. Especially when I had a blown secondary cat, and needed to replace it before I went insane.

They've been around in the Subaru world for quite some time, too, so you know.

After seeing pics of the turboback exhaust, and listening to the sound clips of the TB exhaust with resonators, and all this talk aboit iON's exhaust being the shizz, I want one really really bad. Anyone interested in buying a GReddy SP2 and 2.5" Apex DP with high flow cat? Haha...

The wait time is all I have issue with. Ion, rough estimate, if I was to say Pay for the exhaust in december, how long would it take for you to ship it out to me? Also do you charge the whole thing in one shot or could you just take like 1/2 payment right away and get the other half when you ship it? I am not really comfortable paying a credit card bill and not having the thing I bought in my hands. So what I am saying is, can you do it like a car dealership, they don't charge you full till you have the car. Hope to do business once I can save up some moneys.

Back