info on ION

i wasnt talking bad at all. just stating past facts. i cant really say anything cause i dont have any buying experience from ion.

I think any company that is willing to put the time and energy (and money) into developing parts for a car that is as limited as a MSP should get at least some support. It goes against most logic and common sense when it comes to business practice to pursue such a small market with as much time and energy as some companies, such as iON and HiBoost, have done.

But that does't explain the bubble wrap incindent. I mean come on, you can buy it anywhere. Why should people have to wait?

Britt

122 Vega said:
But that does't explain the bubble wrap incindent. I mean come on, you can buy it anywhere. Why should people have to wait?

Britt
HAHA! Well, I don't know how hard it is to find bubble wrap in Canada, since I've never been there before, but that does sound rather ridiculous.

122 Vega - there are various sizes of bubble wrap; we don't manufacture this - so basically the shipping supply company dictates as to when the correctly sized bubble wrap arrives. It's rather silly to not use the proper packaging when you're trying to protect a piece of art. It would be nice if everything ran on our schedule; then we'd be able to get Argon and anything else we wanted even on a statutory holiday! Funny thing, as we speak; we're still at the production facilities doing work! -ie: no long weekend for any of us here.

Ion - I'm sorry chief, but I took pictures, figures, and reviews to a guy at a muffler shop who said 750$ for the exact same thing, AND a highflow cat, that's including install. Don't BS and say it costs that much for you to make it because you make it in bulk, and this would be a custom job from scratch modeled off of your design. Bubble Wrap, Pff! Come out of the closet.

Mark-MsP said:
Ion - I'm sorry chief, but I took pictures, figures, and reviews to a guy at a muffler shop who said 750$ for the exact same thing, AND a highflow cat, that's including install. Don't BS and say it costs that much for you to make it because you make it in bulk, and this would be a custom job from scratch modeled off of your design. Bubble Wrap, Pff! Come out of the closet.
Subscribing because this is a *very* valid point and true fact.

Also, this should be in the vendor reviews section but I'm keeping it here so I can keep an eye on it. iON threads have a tendency to go very negative, very quickly. :)

So make it. See how much it actually is. A quote says nothing. There are unforseen costs in making products. And they don't make it in bulk. If they did, 3500MSP's would've had turbobacks already at a lower cost. Besides..you gonna guarantee the exhaust shop's materials won't rust after 2 years? 3 years? 5 years? Welds are gonna be as good as Jack's products? I just hate how this board is going downhill all of a sudden and how everyone just jumps at the opportunity to state negative comments like a pack of wolves.

Actually no one should have to pay $1500 + shipping for an exhaust. Thats insane! Perrin and ********** are working on a system that will be alot cheaper and the same if not better quality as Ion's

Normally Funky I would agree with you, but 1599$ for exhaust is just silly. Also this shop I speak of does amazing work. Guy has been doing custom jobs for 20 years. He owns an RX-7 with 500 that he works on in his spare time. He has owned a speed shop for 5 years also. Anyone in Houston I recommend checking this guy out at Z's mufflers. He will do ANYTHING.

True..just kinda venting. Hate it. LOL. But, sometimes doing things in house isn't the cheapest way to go. With the R&D time, the cost of labor, the materials cost, w/ Ion being a smaller operation than Perrin or HKS or Greddy, materials aren't easy to come by. Anyways, y'all can argue to your heart's content..bottom line is, it's a free market economy, and everyone's got their prices. Survival of the fittest I guess.

The exhaust costs $1399 plus shipping for forum members, and if we're lucky enough to get in on another GB, they'll be $1299 plus shipping. All their exhausts are made custom with 02 bungs welded for wideband, resonators for those who don't want the cops on our backs for noise pollution, or with no cats for those that want the best results.

The big thing that is attractive about the iON is the DP that for some reason, no other company has taken the time to develop even though there is an obvious demand for the product. This piece has been pretty much the holy grail for MSP owners since I've been a member of this forum and an owner of a MSP almost exactly a year ago, and it seems as if zero progress has been made on this part that everyone wants. Every once in a while someone will come by and say they've met some guy at a meet that will make it, but goes mute after about a week of "Make it and I'll buy it" responses.

I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, and I'm guessing the R&D and everything for this exhaust costs a pretty penny, which is why no one else since the creation of this car has been able to make a DP like the one iON has made. They're not going to do this as a favor since I'm sure they've gotten used to eating and need to make their endeavors worth while, which is why it is expensive (and us being forum members get a $200 discount already). The costs get kicked back to the consumers so iON can make a profit, like every other company does.

Mark-MsP, you're making an exhaust for $750 that was designed by iON. That design time and R&D costs money, since they did it from scratch. The $750 does not reflect the time it took iON to make their exhaust, and I'm sure if they were able to take someone else's design and copy it, they'd be able to sell it cheaper than that.

I don't own any iON products, but maybe someday I will, and I'd like to see them in business when I gather enough money to buy their turboback exhaust, since they can make it exactly to my specs.

Mark-MsP said:
The muffler shop doesn't have to factor in R&D, dyno time, etc etc that iON does when they make their products. I don't think the comparison you're making is very fair.

~brian

brianmcd said:
The muffler shop doesn't have to factor in R&D, dyno time, etc etc that iON does when they make their products. I don't think the comparison you're making is very fair.

~brian
My point exactly.

I think the prices are very high...however I think based on what I see they make some of the best stuff I have ever seen. I would have NO PROBLEM laying down the cash for the turbo back exhaust considering it should last as long as I should. Only thing I wish I could count on is the delivery time. It seems that it can take a few months to get something after it has already been charged to your credit card. I am not down with that. But none the less when I get some more mula I really want to get this turbo back exhaust. No one here can knock them on their ability and the fact they started the R&D process for the car that counts for something.

Pete

w/ Ion being a smaller operation than Perrin or HKS or Greddy,
I've been to Perrin's shop, my shop is bigger! They run out of a three bay shop. But they also have taken over a year to come to market. But, you get your stuff when you pay for it, not three to six months months later.

I even talked my way into the $1399 for the Ion exhaust (with my wife, a Lawyer, so it's not an easy task to talk her into anything) but after seeing the rediculous amount of time it was taking to get people thier parts I changed my mind. Is it better than the CS I have? Without a doubt. But customer service is paramount.

I hate having to search the forums to find out when and if Ion products are available. I mean come on, you've been here for what, two years and still have not made a website? Do we have to wait for group buys, or can I call you and buy parts? It sure would be nice to know that I could call you, order something and it would ship out within a resonable amount of time, like say a week.

Britt

Ion's products are superb and way worth the money spent. The only quirk that I think sucks, is waiting for such a loooooooooooooooooooong time to get your parts.

Back