In DESPERATE need of help! Clutch problems!

One guy almost exploded a twelve to press...
(he said it went off like gunshot... scared the hell out of him... cool I guess is you like excitement...)

Some mechanics just cut the CV shaft and take the whole knuckle to the machine shop. They include the price of a new CV shaft in their quote... They don't want to deal with as seized axle...

I have the old orange 20 ton from HF, and it strains with some wheel bearings. The better the press, the easier the job will be.

It's strange how some cars will seize the CV axles hard, and others don't. My Toyota cars never had that problem, but I had to beat the axles out of my P5 with a mini sledge. I could definitely see why a flat rate tech just won't deal with it. The CV shaft is cheaper than the time he'd spend screwing around with it.

I've had it go both ways. They can be relatively easy, or an absolute disaster. But the pressing of the bearing is the least of my worries, it's removing the axle nuts that are the issue.

I've been through 4 bearings on my car. In one case I had a 1" drive ratchet with an 8 foot cheater bar on the axle nut and could not break it loose. Prior to that, I had broken multiple 3/4" drive breaker bars, tried a 1" drive impact, and heat. I ended up cutting off the axle nut destroying the hub and axle in the process. Coincidentally, that was the bearing that I had a shop do previously. I don't know if they over tightened it or what.

Last edited:
I've had it go both ways. They can be relatively easy, or an absolute disaster. But the pressing of the bearing is the least of my worries, it's removing the axle nuts that are the issue.

I've been through 4 bearings on my car. In one case I had a 1" drive ratchet with an 8 foot cheater bar on the axle nut and could not break it loose. Prior to that, I had broken multiple 3/4" drive breaker bars, tried a 1" drive impact, and heat. I ended up cutting off the axle nut destroying the hub and axle in the process. Coincidentally, that was the bearing that I had a shop do previously. I don't know if they over tightened it or what.

If you take an air or cold chisel, and hammer into the face of the nut parallel with the axle, you can split it on one or two sides and it will pretty much fall out. The hub usually isn't damaged.

Normally the threads on the axle can be saved by massaging with a thread file, and anti-seize when you go back together.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back