Impressions of my CX-9 GT on the 1st full day of ownership

There is a button on the lift gate for the smart key.

Really? I guess I missed it and have not had time to skim the manual. That'd be cool. I'll look more closely in the daylight. Thanks for pointing it out.

strange- I wonder if there are different settings for diff cars? My liftgate button will not open the hatch if the doors are locked. It beeps differently to tell you so. I have to open my doors first.
But I do have all sorts of problems with my aftermarket audiovox remote start (with blue button) It may be interfering with the rear hatch as I have discovered it interferes with every other aspect of the door locks.
For instance it locks all doors when I use it to start the car, and there is no way to open the car with any remote afterwards unless I turn the car off.
I am getting it replaced by the dealer this week.

My impressions after 1 week

Some brief comments about ZoomFive's post from a while back... Now that I own a CX-9 I can say I agree with most of his negative comments. However, I would have more positives on my list that negatives. Perhaps that is why so many got defensive from his post as it is human nature do defend your $40k purchase when someone puts it down. I have driven 2 tankfuls on my new GT, and I already feel this is the best car I have ever owned with exception to my 2004 M3 which now sits in the garage most of the year.

The CX-9 drives like a large sports sedan. Drive it back to back with a real body-on-frame SUV and you will be amazed how much those beasts shudder and shake over bumps.

I am averaging 13.4 mpg so far, which is less than I expected, but I haven't done much highway driving yet. I like the firm ride on the 20 inch wheels as I am used to far stiffer sports cars.

The blue paint is the deepest, richest paint job I have ever had on a car.

The seat headrests are designed to meet next year's 2009 mandatory new new neck regulations. Seatbacks can no longer articulate, unless there are expensive active mechanical countermeasures built in, which you aren't going to see on a $40k mazda.

Many of the complaints such as no memory with the mirrors, passenger seat that matches driver seat, and other luxury items you see on expensive luxury cars are all options that Mazda decided to leave out to keep the car at 40k or below. I had the option of buying an Audi Q7 which has all these options, like my friend did. But guess what- he also paid $80,000 for his Q7!!! Yup, if you max out a Q7 it is twice the price of a maxed out CX-9.

I'll take the few missing luxuries and stick with my CX-9. I actually prefer driving the CX-9 over my friend's Q7.

Some brief comments about ZoomFive's post from a while back... Now that I own a CX-9 I can say I agree with most of his negative comments. However, I would have more positives on my list that negatives. Perhaps that is why so many got defensive from his post as it is human nature do defend your $40k purchase when someone puts it down. I have driven 2 tankfuls on my new GT, and I already feel this is the best car I have ever owned with exception to my 2004 M3 which now sits in the garage most of the year.

Nope, at least for me, I wasnt defending my purchase, cause I do like it, and I know people have different tastes, so as long as I like what I have, is all that matters, even thou of course I know there is room for improvements and despite the major efforts of many many people , some things still can be missed.
What really got my attention was that in your first day of ownership, this guy had an entire thread of mainly dislikes.... now thats (boom08)(flame)
how u can u call that?

The CX-9 drives like a large sports sedan. Drive it back to back with a real body-on-frame SUV and you will be amazed how much those beasts shudder and shake over bumps.

I am averaging 13.4 mpg so far, which is less than I expected, but I haven't done much highway driving yet. I like the firm ride on the 20 inch wheels as I am used to far stiffer sports cars.

The blue paint is the deepest, richest paint job I have ever had on a car.

The seat headrests are designed to meet next year's 2009 mandatory new new neck regulations. Seatbacks can no longer articulate, unless there are expensive active mechanical countermeasures built in, which you aren't going to see on a $40k mazda.

Many of the complaints such as no memory with the mirrors, passenger seat that matches driver seat, and other luxury items you see on expensive luxury cars are all options that Mazda decided to leave out to keep the car at 40k or below. I had the option of buying an Audi Q7 which has all these options, like my friend did. But guess what- he also paid $80,000 for his Q7!!! Yup, if you max out a Q7 it is twice the price of a maxed out CX-9.

I'll take the few missing luxuries and stick with my CX-9. I actually prefer driving the CX-9 over my friend's Q7.

I have to totally agree. I was looking at the Audi first. The Mazda just sort of jumped into the mix late and blew away the competition. Yes, there are some little problems. But to me, they are rather small and will also take missing some of the luxuries. Also, my other car is a Corvette and jumping from it to my CX9 GT is a joy. Just thank Mazda for the backup camera!!!!(thumb)
Cheers
Steve

I have to totally agree. I was looking at the Audi first. The Mazda just sort of jumped into the mix late and blew away the competition. Yes, there are some little problems. But to me, they are rather small and will also take missing some of the luxuries. Also, my other car is a Corvette and jumping from it to my CX9 GT is a joy. Just thank Mazda for the backup camera!!!!(thumb)
Cheers
Steve

Amen to the backup camera!! Although, even with the camera, I have one helluva time backing up anyway in crowded parking lots! Although, in comparison, my 5'2 wife has even more trouble than I do navigating this big rig. She looks absolutely tiny driving the CX-9! Its all good though. She loves it too.

Hi everyone,

I also just had my CX-9 for a day.

I love pretty much all of the aspect of the CX-9.

The only thing that I think needs to be improved is the road noise. There's a lot of noise coming from the tire and the road. I am not so sure if this is because of the tire (I got the 18" wheels, Sport, AWD) or maybe there's not enough sound insulation for the car.

I cannot hear wind noise (doing 60-70 mph which is also good) or rattles in the bumpy road (very tight, which is good) but the road/tire noise is noticably more than my previous cars.

Other than that, I think this is a great car, Zoom...Zoom...Zoom

Nope, at least for me, I wasnt defending my purchase, cause I do like it, and I know people have different tastes, so as long as I like what I have, is all that matters, even thou of course I know there is room for improvements and despite the major efforts of many many people , some things still can be missed.
What really got my attention was that in your first day of ownership, this guy had an entire thread of mainly dislikes.... now thats (boom08)(flame)
how u can u call that?

Look here... I liked the car enough after the research, test drives, and other people's postings to buy the car.

However, everyone should know that had I not needed the occassional 7 passengers and room for kid stuff, this would not have been my choice for a new car at $40K.

I am pretty quick on providing feedback on the obvious. That said, having those needs, short of knowing the reliability over time, I think I made the right choice given the need.

Hi everyone,

I also just had my CX-9 for a day.

I love pretty much all of the aspect of the CX-9.

The only thing that I think needs to be improved is the road noise. There's a lot of noise coming from the tire and the road. I am not so sure if this is because of the tire (I got the 18" wheels, Sport, AWD) or maybe there's not enough sound insulation for the car.

I cannot hear wind noise (doing 60-70 mph which is also good) or rattles in the bumpy road (very tight, which is good) but the road/tire noise is noticably more than my previous cars.

Other than that, I think this is a great car, Zoom...Zoom...Zoom

Enjoy the car. You worked out a sweet deal!

However, everyone should know that had I not needed the occassional 7 passengers and room for kid stuff, this would not have been my choice for a new car at $40K.

I think all of us are in the same 7 passenger boat.
;-)

Sorry, but do not count me in, I choose it as whole better package, not for necessity at all.

By the way, zoom five, what would have been your choice???

Im editing cause it looks like Im quoting myself hahaha, dont know how that happened, but of course, it was the previous post.

but surely you are not single? What I meant was we all chose a CX-9 over other cars in the same class, because it is the best in class. However there must be a reason why you bought such a large vehicle that gets 17mpg in the first place, right?

I have yet to find the perfect car but you do the best you can...Some of the things that were mentioned seemed to be focuses of Mazda over the next couple of yrs in developing this car...remember it is new...

One thing that I really like I just saw was that they're coming out w/a blind spot mirror that senses when there is a car in your blind spot but there maybe be a problem at certain times of the day w/the sun hitting it so people need to know not to rely on them...but I think this will be a huge improvement especially for a car of that size and the types of people who usually drive them (the ones that have no idea how big it is or how to drive it) ALL of my accidents have been caused by people not looking before they switched lanes....

kelsmazda, the blind spot indicators are now installed on all 2008 GT models that were built after sometime in October. I have them on mine, and even though I didn't necessarily desire them, I have to admit they are pretty handy. I adjust my mirrors so that there are no blind spots, as I can see a car passing me at all times until it is right next to me. At that point the indicator gives me a little extra warning in my peripheral vision before I even turn my head to see if there is a car. This former skeptic is now a believer.

Yea they would be nice....when I used to live in MD there were places I had to know where all the cars were at all times b/c people are crazy and needed to be able to move in a split second...just long enough to look at my mirrors and see if a car was right next to me..so I got those blindspot mirror which aren't bad either...but I think the indicator would be great and soon will be on every car which should help but some parts of stupidity are unhelpable (yes it's a new word) b/c some idiot will still ignore them...even if the thing shouted CAR CAR CAR and slapped them in the head haha....See sometimes you actually have to use things to see if you like them or not...I want to go drive one now

Sort of. No! Not me!

Sort of... After 2 days of ownership, I agree with some of the gripes listed so far, and find others nit picking. The CX-9 is not a luxury SUV despite what a number of owners declare. It is a very nice SUV with a better ride and perhaps better value than some luxury SUV's. But the lack of availablitiy of many options that people miss is what sets luxury vehicles apart. The base Porshe Cayenne is nice, but a loaded Cayenne-S is luxury. Personally, I didn't care for the Porches.

No... I don't think the CX-9 handles like a large sports sedan. Which large sports sedan? My Chrysler 300C AWD certainly handled far better than the taller, longer, heavier, shorter wheel based CX-9 AWD. As for small and large bumps, my Escalade handled them at least as well as my CX-9.

Not Me! I didn't buy the CX-9 for the extra passengers. I doubt that I will ever have more than four people in it. I just wanted something with decent second row leg room and more cargo space than my 300C. I am fortunate enough to be at a place in life where I can afford to purchase any vehicle I like. I bought the CX-9 GT AWD because I liked it best, period.

I inspected and/or test drove every model of midsize and up SUV, crossover and station wagon available in NC. Yes every single model. If I didn't like the looks, then the features and options did not matter. From there, how did it drive. And finally, what features does it have. If there were a CX-9 with many of the options people on this thread miss (priced accordingly), I would order one tommorrow. I think a lot of people might. But, like Chrysler, Mazda is leary of entering the $50,000+ market.

And finally... Threads like this one helped many of us to be the informed buyers we were. So, to everyone who posts constructive advice and criticism, thanks!

I'll say this for the posts...and forums in general... as a p m at a dealer... I've found the posts ( negative and positive ) more than interesting... you've posed questions I never would have... and some have come up with solutions I wouldn't have thought of either... the one thing that i take issue with ... is when people get all personal about their responses... it's a fun informative community... keep it up .. ;) .. zoom zoom... Mazda's brought sexy back with their c x (y) series... 7 & 9

By the way, zoom five, what would have been your choice???

Well... just off the top of my head:

A new BMW 335XI or a used Boxster would be worth $40K - in a stick.

Believe me... Th CX-9 was a good choice and the car looks the sporty part, but I only got into a vehicle of this type for the ability to carry all the kid stuff and sometimes friends/folks. I chose the CX-9 because it offered the right size, functionality, features, and newness. Because $$$ is even more important when you have kids, I almost decided to save myself $6K by going with a minivan. My sporting inclinations got the better of me. The CX-9 has been great in the first week. My wife likes it a lot.

It's a little bit of a bear to squeeze into the 3rd row when you have two baby carseats in the 2nd row (one rear facing and the other forward facing). I knew when I bought the car that the 2nd row would not be able to fold forward.

kelsmazda, the blind spot indicators are now installed on all 2008 GT models that were built after sometime in October. I have them on mine, and even though I didn't necessarily desire them, I have to admit they are pretty handy. I adjust my mirrors so that there are no blind spots, as I can see a car passing me at all times until it is right next to me. At that point the indicator gives me a little extra warning in my peripheral vision before I even turn my head to see if there is a car. This former skeptic is now a believer.

I agree. They are nice to have.

but surely you are not single? What I meant was we all chose a CX-9 over other cars in the same class, because it is the best in class. However there must be a reason why you bought such a large vehicle that gets 17mpg in the first place, right?

Yes, I am single friend. U know why I chose it...u said yourself, it was the best in class. I check out many reviews, love what they said about how this car is full of practicality but still drives very well, with a powerful engine and great perfomance, luxurious interior with solid build quality, liked very much the exterior design as well as the interior. Find out all of that myself and the deal was set. I like how this car is sporty just as I am and just as I like my cars to be and just as I like to drive my cars, and still, get a huge interior with plenty of room for 7 adults whenever there is the need (and there has been). Fuel economy is not a primary concern regards the purchase of a new vehicle , just as I stated , but still, I know this car has good EPA ratings for the weight, size and power of this car.

Back