Important news about 2002 MP3

hubert

I work at Mazda and my boss just came back yesterday from a mazda Canada meeting.
There will be 250 more MP3's this year and yes they will have a turbo. Good news for people wanting to put a turbo on their ride.
Bad news if it is called a MP3
My boss did say that "mazda" refered to it as an MP3. The new 6 will have 160hp(4cyl)
220hp(6cyl). Also he said the mp3 wont be out till the fall. I hope and to my knowledge
this info is accurate!!!!!.

Feel so bad so these MP3 owners including me...they promised us to have only 1500 at first... :(
but feel good for those who are going to have a kick-ass turbo MP3s... ;)
how a mix from my heart... :eek:

This sounds bizarre to me... where's the logic on only building 250 more cars, especially considering the development costs incurred by retrofitting a turbo to the engine. The car was already a money loser for Mazda when they built 1500. They may build these, but I doubt that many, if any will hit retail markets. Probably test cars, racers, prototypes for future developement and things like that. But I suppose we will have a factory endorsed turbocharger now...

I did say for Canada so that doesn't mean there is not gonna be 1500 for the states.
Again this was a meeting about Canada, I have no clue what is gonna happen in the U.S.

i can say this for sure. i "called out" of work today to catch the motor trend atuo show... and some dipshit with a mazda shirt came up to me while i was checking out the p5 headlights and said..."interseted"...i told him i had a mp3 and he said that mazda was putting out a "mp3" this year towards sept... turbo, 180 hp.

We've hashed this a lot, but the deal is that it won't be called "MP3"...It will be an MPS Protege with a turbo and some other name on it...Not an MP3.

Oh no, not more "the next MP3 will be turbo'd talk". I was hopping this would all fade out. I guess only time will tell if this is true or not. I'm leaning more towards it's not.

I think tho that sometimes people fail to remember that even if this turbo version comes out(whatever it's name is), it's *likely* going to be a fair bit more expensive. Or if it's not then they would cut corners someplace else.

I bought my car because it's an awesome overall package that I just love....are there more powerful cars out there? Hell yeah, but I also really wanted to get into the modding scene as well. I always intended to keep this car for a good while and after it comes off warranty start doing some serious changes(which would also be when I'm done paying for it too so I'd have a lot more free cash).

I think there are also a ton of you out there already that have some awesome ideas for performance modifications to our cars(I'd have to say that SpoolinMP3 takes the cake right now) that shows we can have a pretty darn awesome car even performance wise.

Even if they introduce more MP3s, our cars are always going to turn heads at a stop light and get comments on what a nice ride we have. Just my .02 cents.

dude your right, we have an awesome package and it will very likely be way more expensive. but it will be factory so it will have warranty. you guys have any suggestions on what kind of sweet car my girlfriend can get(maybe the new mps).
DRIVE CRAZY, SAFE SUCKS :eek:

I wonder if Mazda does build a turbo MP3 if they will use forged pistons and rods. If they do then that would be cool, means we would have forged s*** to put in ours, not crappy cast.

If they do "turbo" the car then it's likely to have a different engine interpolation. There's no way that it will come out with a turbo car with engine compression being as high as the current mp3, crazy! Which will result in an upgrade that is not a simple bolt on to our car.

If they did decide to release a turbo Protege, it wouldn't be as expensive we think. I'm guessing around $22K or a little more. I wouldn't be as much as a WRX though. I doubt it would have any special goodies like forged conrods or piston since no other compact car "I know of" comes with that from the factory. I'd expect that some of the big dogs would come with that stuff, like the 300Z having shotpeened conrods.

What's our compression, like 9.5:1? Thats not too high for a turbo. Thats just about right. We aren't talking 20 psi here hehe.

Originally posted by mx3ownzjOO:
<STRONG>i've heard of rumors surrounding a 03 mp3 that will come turboed. but what i'd love to see is the mp3 with a kl_ze :D</STRONG>

Being moved to rumors forum...

In general compression on a manufactured turbo engine is below 9.

Examples:
90-94 DSM: 7:8:1
WRX: 8:1

The VW is not a good example because it's 9:5:1, but they have 5 valves per cylinder and a very small turbo. :p

Back