import vs. corvette

Replica said:
Just a copy, there are many of my kind before me. (glare)
Okay..Well think about it.

There were only about 350 'real' 427 Cobras.
... only 6 'real' 289FIA Cobras.
There were only 6 'real' Daytona Cobra Coupes.
There were only 130 'real' Ford GT 40s.

A good Replica ain't no bad thing! I have seen them up close and personal. Although; I don't own one, I have talked with several proud owners.

Last edited:
AGR said:
Okay..Well think about it.

There were only about 350 'real' 427 Cobras.
... only 6 'real' 289FIA Cobras.
There were only 6 'real' Daytona Cobra Coupes.
There were only 130 'real' Ford GT 40s.

A good Replica ain't no bad thing! trust1 I have seen them up close and personal. Although; I don't own one, I have talked with several proud owners.
i watched a video of a right hand drive (or are they all right hand drive?) one ripping it up on some backroads. That 427 is pure evil! Sounds amazing.

Replica said:
i watched a video of a right hand drive (or are they all right hand drive?) one ripping it up on some backroads. That 427 is pure evil! Sounds amazing.
Indeed! The Cobra 427 was the most awesome car of it's day - no question. Carroll Shelby first installed the 260ci motor, after bringing an AC Bristol over to California from England. Racing those successfully in 1962; then came the 289, then the 'evil' 427. When production ceased around 1968, a Cobra 427 S/C could be had for under $10,000. Today; a real 427 can bring near $500,000. The 289s, and 260s are quite valuable as well.

The 427 Cobra turned some of the most incredible numbers ever. With Ken Miles behind the wheel (on street tires), it achieved:

0-60 in 3.8 seconds
0-100-0 in 13.8 seconds

The Corvettes were eaten alive! But; it took a great driver like Ken Miles, Dave MacDonald, Bob Bondurant, Dan Gurney, and just a handful of others to master this beast! Remember; it only weight about 1,500 lbs! And was developing over 500hp!

Last edited:
Not to mention...some the Cobra kits that are available today can run circles around the originals...there have been SO many advances in performance products....suspension products....and tires....that a properly build KIT is the way to go if you are looking for the performance side of a Cobra....besides....who in their right mind is going to get out there with a half million dollar or more car that can NOT be replaced if wrecked or damaged and act the fool with it.....that would be PURE STUPIDITY.

Sir Nuke said:
Not to mention...some the Cobra kits that are available today can run circles around the originals...there have been SO many advances in performance products....suspension products....and tires....that a properly build KIT is the way to go if you are looking for the performance side of a Cobra....besides....who in their right mind is going to get out there with a half million dollar or more car that can NOT be replaced if wrecked or damaged and act the fool with it.....that would be PURE STUPIDITY.
Exactly! (thumb) I have toured (twice) Unique Motorcars in Gadsden, AL. And; each time I leave, I want one that much more!! Alan Weaver is good people, too. He builds a beauty!!

http://www.uniquemotorcars.com/

AGR said:
Exactly! (thumb) I have toured (twice) Unique Motorcars in Gadsden, AL. And; each time I leave, I want one that much more!! Alan Weaver is good people, too. He builds a beauty!!

http://www.uniquemotorcars.com/
I was once INTO the kit car scene....very much into it...did LOTS of research. there are MANY high quality kits out there.....you just have to have the WANT to build one...and build it right.

Sir Nuke said:
I was once INTO the kit car scene....very much into it...did LOTS of research. there are MANY high quality kits out there.....you just have to have the WANT to build one...and build it right.
The other option of course, is having them build it for you. ERA, Unique, and many others, offer that service. Then; companies such as Superformance and Kirkham (aluminum only) 'only' build them. You just choose the color, and the drivetrain, and they do the rest. Myself; I am no mechanic, and would elect the option for them to build it.

My personal favorite is the 289FIA Cobra. Like this... (below; is an ERA) ERA can build this for about $52,000 (complete). It's one of the finest!
ERA-blueFIALoRzDRUM.jpg

Replica said:
Sorry, gotta have the big block.
Do you have any idea what the 289FIA Cobra is capable of? I don't think so. But; if you must; the 427 version is a Bad Boy!
ERArdstrBlueleapout2.jpg

AGR said:
Do you have any idea what this car is capable of? I don't think so. But; if you must; the 427 version is a Bad Boy!
ERArdstrBlueleapout2.jpg
No, I've never driven one. But i want a big block dammit! (sssh)

Replica said:
No, I've never driven one. But i want a big block dammit! (sssh)
These are only for the very, very experienced drivers. Especially; if you want to take it to it's limit. Otherwise; you could easily kill yourself.

AGR said:
These are only for the very, very experienced drivers. Especially; if you want to take it to it's limit. Otherwise; you could easily kill yourself.
Acceptable ways to die.

- Killed by Ninja

- Die in a big block Cobra

- Western style shootout

- Heart attack during orgy

Replica said:
Acceptable ways to die.

- Killed by Ninja

- Die in a big block Cobra

- Western style shootout

- Heart attack during orgy
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......... not bad! (rofl) (lol)

RyanJayG said:
hey, are they putting REAL 427's in those....the side oiler?
Most are 351s that are bored, and stroked. The Ernie Elliott prepared Cobra 427 that Unique Motorcars has is a 351. It is 650HP. They also built one for Steve Austin (the wrestler), that puts on 900hp (with a 351 block).

awe, thats too bad... oh well, I guess you aren't going to just "find" a 427 side oiler lying around.... but rither way, it rocks.

RyanJayG said:
awe, thats too bad... oh well, I guess you aren't going to just "find" a 427 side oiler lying around.... but rither way, it rocks.
well good luck finding one of those....but there are 427's and 428's out there....Ford is even making some....

but when you speak of a 427 Cobra...or the 289 Cobra....if you will look closely.....when you see these designations in the adds for the kits....they are in REALITY refering to the body styles...as they are different.

Wow...this has turned into a kit car thread...well I think we can all agree that the current vette/Z06 is a great overall bang for the buck platform for extreme performance.

Now about the Cobra…True story coming up!

I don't like ford...but I've always been a fan of the 427 Cobra...that car is the definition of a BEAST...in fact my Dad drove an OG 427 Cobra back in the day...well for only one day :p...see my uncle is a body man for museum and uber expensive cars...back in the day he had a shop in Santa Monica and sometimes Shelby (yes Shelby) cars would come in...including the mustang version...well they ran out of space so my Dad took one of the rides home (427)...he said it was amazing to drive...at the red light the cobra's idle would seem to shake the ground...every car that challenged him on the way home lost horribly...and when he drove into the garage...my Mom freaked out...thinking the noise and vibration from the car was actually an earthquake! This was years before I was even born…

I’m not sure if I remember this detail right but I think Shelby would bring some of their cars to my uncle to repair damage from racing and or testing on the track…can anyone confirm that Shelby was selling/testing/racing cars in Southern California…maybe in the mid-late 60’s? I’d have to check with my Dad about what he remembers…

Anyway...I love stories like that...(thumb)

Ya, I read that article a while ago. It includes super expensive paint jobs and interior jobs and all this random crap that doesn't have to do with performance. The overall test wasn't about performance it was just about tricked out cars imho, that had 2-15k in performance mods.

wow...this thread is nice :) interesting read. it looks like the civic is what you invest in when you don't have a ton of money and just starting off in the car life, but move on to the corvette when you're ready to step up to the plate and face off w/ the mid-lifers and big boys in the expensive toys.

i'm not a big fan of the vette or the cobra, but they're both cars that i would dream about driving

Back