Im looking for ideas for a project car. Help?

Noob-MSP

:
2003.5 MSP 2.0T
I know this is off topic but bear with me.

My msp is a daily driver so im trying to get some ideas on what i can use as a project car, maybe just engine i can rebuild and maybe eventually put it in the msp but i have no clue where to start, and im not gonna go get the cheapest 4 banger at the junk yard and start working on it without knowing if it had some potential.

If anybody has any ideas or suggestions as to what kind of engine would be good to rebuild or what kind of car is highly moddable and likely to be found in junk yards, just comment and let me know. Im kind of busy with school at the momment but ill try to reply back as soon as possible.

idk,

regular protege would be very easy to get from junk yard i guess

restore, trim it down, install turbo kits, track in the weekend?

i feel rear drive car are more fun to drive especially for low speed drifting

maybe try to see if you can find a crappy rx7 and restore it for tracking.

If you're looking for something to eventually transplant into your Mazda, I dunno really. But if you're looking for an inexpensive and readily available car that is a great platform for mods, despite the snickers I may be about to get for such a suggestion, I recommend the first-gen (95-99) Dodge/Plymouth Neon. They're quite cheap, quite light, have incredibly nimble handling, and have engines that respond *really really well* to modifications. Let's just say that if I were a betting man, and if I were given a choice between a 97 Neon and a 97 Civic, with the exact same dollar amount invested in mods (and assuming the same dollar amount for the base car itself), I'd bet on the Neon.

It's been a few years since I really looked at it (I've had my P5 since 2007 and the Neon forum I used to be a mod on is no longer around) but they had a really strong aftermarket presence, too.

Last edited:
Idk how i feel about the neon, im not a fan of how it looks, and appearance is an important aspect to me, the rx7 has a nice feel to it because i am trying to get a rear wheel drive, well ill see if i can find an rx7 maybe even a 240sx and try to find an rb engine somewhere on ebay, thanks guys i appreciate the feedback

Anything rwd and ls1 swap with eBay gt45. Lots of peoe doing this and making 600-800 whp. Stock bottom end has seen 1200 whp with those motors and you can get them relatively cheap ( long block and trans under 1500)

Miata, or and old 300zx or 280, they are easy to find for under 2k, and rwd!

craigslist.org. widen your search. ever consider an older euro? bmw's and mercedes can be fun. you can only do so much with a fwd car.

Back