Ignition Starter Button

p5freak

Has anyone installed one of those S2000 starter buttons or the ignited brand?

How did the install go?
Do you like it?
Any comments?

Quite a few folks on the MiataForum have installed these things - Not sure why.

I can remember when cars had a button you had to push to get them started, and how we all thought the "turn key" was a real "plus."

I don't think they're hard to add - Just bust the "start wire" and hook it to the switch, and hook a "key on" 12 volt source to the other side of the switch.

Don

Don said:
Quite a few folks on the MiataForum have installed these things - Not sure why.

I can remember when cars had a button you had to push to get them started, and how we all thought the "turn key" was a real "plus."

I don't think they're hard to add - Just bust the "start wire" and hook it to the switch, and hook a "key on" 12 volt source to the other side of the switch.

Don

same here don...however....the cars/trucks were before my time...I still remember them...

and for ONE reason or another...Dodge decided they must be cool...as the VIPER has a big red starter button on the dash/console, down in front of the starter and to the drivers side. Go Figure.

I'f I remember correctly, the push button starter has something to do with racecar heritage. A lot of BTCC and JTCC both use push button starters. I also have a Best Motoring Video with a Twin Turbo NSX that uses a toggle switch to start the motor.

APEXistud said:
I'f I remember correctly, the push button starter has something to do with racecar heritage. A lot of BTCC and JTCC both use push button starters. I also have a Best Motoring Video with a Twin Turbo NSX that uses a toggle switch to start the motor.

this is very true...MANY race cars have a push button for the starter.

I was gonna get a push start button. I know you guys think I am stupid. But it was only 70$ CAN...got a good deal.........
BUT than.....I found out I had to turn the key than press the button to start the car
Than I said to myself "Why don't I just turn the key and zoom away, why mess with the button if I have to turn the key first? ":D

Well, to be fair, you did ask "Do you like it?" and "Any comments?"
newbie.gif

Don

We didn't say it was a dumb idea but rather implied it is a waste of time. Race cars do their thing for a reason. A toggle switch for power and a momentary switch for starter control is certainly a simple setup but they also don't need the security features of a keyed switch or steering wheel lock. Chrysler and Honda did theirs with a button I'm sure for more of a cool factor. It apparently works for some people but I myself find it one more step to follow to get the car in motion. Ponder the thought of your drunk or idiot friends in the car that think the button is cool also and decide to press it while driving. Nothing sounds as good as the sound of a MazdaSpeed catback with a hint of starter grind in the background..... :eek: But hey, I'm way past my teens and just stepped out of the 20's so who am I to decide what's cool anymore?

I'm 29 with a family. My days of drunken friends pushing buttons is history.

Anyway, it is a tad bit silly but at the same time if you wire it correctly it's just a novelty thing that you don't have to use all the time.

It's kind of like asking if I should shave all my door handles off my car. It sure sounds stupid but people are doing it all over the place. I'd rather just open the door than look for the 8 function remote.

That's what makes cars soo cool. Individuality. Everyones car has something different that doesn't work for everyone.

Me, I want a push button start. If anyone wants to do the same ask me in a week or so. I'll have an input.

I've never used one; it is a novel idea. I think the hardest part is finding a clean place to mount the button so that it looks like it is supposed to be there.

The rest I shouldn't think would be all that tough.

Personally, I'd rather have the whole ignition put on the left side of the steering column. I like the Porsche idea of putting the car in gear while starting the car to save time. A feature born on the track.

There is a good reason that some new cars are coming out with push-button starters.

Some makers, including Mercedes, Cadillac, and I believe Dodge with the '03 Viper (not sure on that tho), are coming out with totally passive security/starter systems. You still have a key fob - like any normal alarm/starter/remote entry - but the fob transmits a signal automatically. When you walk up to your car, you leave the key and fob in your pocket. The doors unlock themselves when you get close. And the fob allows pushbutton starting of the car - no pressing a button to unlock the doors, and no turning of the key to start the car.

How nice, walk up to your car, open the door, get in, put your foot on the brake, push a button, and go. No fumbling with keys for anything.

Other than these systems, push-button starters are all for "looks".

rodslinger said:
...friends in the car that think the button is cool also and decide to press it while driving. Nothing sounds as good as the sound of a MazdaSpeed catback with a hint of starter grind in the background..... :eek:

Amen.

It's just one more step to get the car moving. It's cool if the car isn't a daily driver, and you enjoy going through sacred routines, a checklist, driving goggles:rolleyes:, gloves, and driving shoes for your weekend motoring excursions.

Although I admit it looks pretty cool. The novelty factor will most likely quickly diminish for practicality's sake.

dynamho,

You can wire it so that it's optional to use.

Therefore the key will always be an alternative for when I'm not in mood.

Attachments

• starter button.jpg
    starter button.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 222
It's looks neat. And I guess you can rub out the "S2000" logo.

BTW, your mod list includes a 6-disc in dash. Is that the factory option? Also, do you like your dimming mirror? Is it worth the $150 extra?

I'm not going to use the aluminum thing, I'm going to mount just the button so it looks stock.

BTW, your mod list includes a 6-disc in dash.
Is that the factory option?
Yes, I have the factory 6-disc in dash

Also, do you like your dimming mirror?
I love the autodimming/compass mirror!

Is it worth the $150 extra?
I got the dealer to cough it up for me.

Back