iDriverManagement - might be introduced in US @ 2018

bmninada

Contributor
:
2016 CX-5 AWD GT+iActive Soul Red
Certain senior tech. guys have received requests for pre-training in a possible new feature which might become part of 2018 or 2019 Mazda vehicles. Called i-Driver-Management or perhaps iDM it's supposed to provide real-time data to the driver w.r.t. his/her driving behavior and make recommendations like pedal press ; brake press ; wheel roll ; AWD activities and in order to achieve this the dashboard might see a whole new section on the top where this display is possible.
Have anyone have any idea but at this time it's pretty hush hush.
Not sure why but recently sat in a 11,000$ JP sedan of a reputed brand and when ECO mode is pressed it gives real-time statistics on pedal press.

Correct me if I am wrong but current i-Activ AWD and G-vectoring does this in the background anyway, not to mention the processing module of the gearbox automatically adjusts to the driving inputs anyway.

I pinged my trusted dealership. Maybe Google translate will help and they sent me something of a very different region but can't complain.

http://www.mazda.com/en/innovation/technology/connect/i-dm/

Also - careful checking reveals ALL the cars on or perhaps after 2016 are pre-equipped with this feature just not enabled. There are threads here which actually show the LCD dash having these.

Last edited:
It just looks like a pointless gimmick to me.

I know full well when I'm driving fast, cornering fast, or wasting fuel.

Most hybrids and EVs already have a version of this to provide feedback to the driver on economy. Going forward, these systems will be looking at safety in addition to economy, because there is a ton of interest from the insurance industry in monitoring driving habits, and an interest in getting data right from the car to help process claims. Right now, if my insurance company wants to monitor me, they need me to use their phone app. But in the near future, all vehicles will be rolling data recorders with cellular connections to phone the data home for fleet management. The cynic in me predicts that the insurance industry and government are going to get data on my driving performance whether I like it or not.

It just looks like a pointless gimmick to me.

I know full well when I'm driving fast, cornering fast, or wasting fuel.

Here (in Ontario, Canada at least), it's not a gimmick.
It's a voluntary tool that can be used by insurance Companies to monitor your driving style, good or bad.
When I talked to my insurance Company to activate my coverage on the new M6, they offered this monitoring system as a discount tool.
In other words, if I drive like my grandma, I'll get a discount.
If I drive like I'm in NASCAR, I'll pay for it. I declined the option.
This feature can also be used to analyze the vehicle (and your) behavior after you've been in an accident. Sort of like the black boxes in aircraft

The same thing is available in the UK, but its primarily aimed at young drivers who pay very large amounts of money for insurance, until they are both older and accumulate no claims discount.

I suppose older drivers could also take the option.

Here (in Ontario, Canada at least), it's not a gimmick.
It's a voluntary tool that can be used by insurance Companies to monitor your driving style, good or bad.
When I talked to my insurance Company to activate my coverage on the new M6, they offered this monitoring system as a discount tool.
In other words, if I drive like my grandma, I'll get a discount.
If I drive like I'm in NASCAR, I'll pay for it. I declined the option.
This feature can also be used to analyze the vehicle (and your) behavior after you've been in an accident. Sort of like the black boxes in aircraft

Back