idiots- IDENTITY THEFT :(

changedman

Banned
Contributor
:
2001 Mazda MP3
shiat, so yeah, the place I have intended on going to school next semester just had a huge fuckup. As a result, 13,000+ students may have their personal and financial accounts at risk. Also over 1,000 teachers.

I have place a fraud alert on my credit file, which will be transferred in less than 24 hours to all major creditors. Is there anything else I should do?

News story:
(Grand Rapids, November 20, 2004, 5:48 p.m.) Computers that contain social security numbers, credit card information, and bank account numbers of employees and students of Grand Rapids Community College were stolen this week.

A note on the college message board Friday morning was the first alert that three laptops from the business office were missing and students and staff are worried their personal information may not be safe. That's personal information on the 14,000 students and 1,100 employees - news that stunned this small college campus.

Chief Cindy Kennell of the Grand Rapids Police won't say much about the investigation other than she has a few leads. In the meantime, she's asking students and staff to be careful, not to take any chances, and keep a close eye on their personal information.

Grand Rapids Community College Police are asking anyone with information about the stolen laptops to call them at (616) 234-4010.

that sucks...get one of those credit reports and monitor your credit history for the next year. Hopefully nothing will happen

Yeah it does suck. Hopefully everyone will take precautions like putting an alert on their credit file and checking it every few months. Really, there is nothing else you can do until someone actually becomes a victim of an actual identity theft or fraud because of this. You may also want to consider changing your bank account and opening a new one. Just to be safe. You never know if your payment information to pay for your schooling will be on there as well.

That really sucks! Put a credit block/watch on your credit, cancel all your credit cards that you don't need, contact any banks you have a mortage with let them know what is up.

Basically make sure everyone you owe money to, or have credit with knows that your identiy might have been stolen and to put notes on your account to watch out for any activity that isn't "normal"

umm......

Oh! contact the Social Security Dept. and let them know that your SSN might have been stolen.

In all honesty if they do steal your ID and screw your credit up, there is really only 2 options you can take to "fix" it.

1) Get a new SSN and basically start your credit fresh, like you have never had any.

2)Wait the 6 months to a year it takes to clear up any "bad" credit that would be put on your report.

geeze- i just signed up for identity protection for $2/mo. Comes with 25000 insurance. Not a bad deal.

I better see if my bro heard about this. He was a student there recently.

wow, why the hell did they have that info on laptops? the thieves probably just wanted them to sell and got a lot more than they bargained for... wonder if they realized it

My lil bro got a call from Denver county sherriff last summer, turns out he's a Mexican immigrant working there in a blue collar job.

Lucky for him, the guy was only using his identity to get work - not to get credit cards or a hourse or anything like that. They think his identity was stolen from the Utah State University's system.

wow thats crazy stuff. maybe someone will take someones money and then they will get sued big time for losing the computers..... ouch

Back