I went to replace my Air Filter.. and...

BigWave

:
2006 MazdaSpeed6 (GT)
No longer about my Air Filter.. Exhaust & Handheld ?

I have no air filter box.

I do have what looks to be a nice MazdaSpeed CAI with a big silver pipe that places the intake infront of the left front wheel. I'm guessing this difference is either from the Speed6 Sport or the GT? Or the previous owner added it since he worked at the Mazda Dealership I bought this from.

I even checked the Owners Manual posted on here. Looked at the pic on pg 263 (8-11), looked at the engine bay.. back at the page.. and back to the engine.

Here's what I expected to see:

images

And here's something similar to what I have except the nice silver pipe says Mazdaspeed just before maf:

CA-25051.jpg

I'm more confused than anything as to where or even if I do have an Air Filter now?? I have a picture on my BB if anyone really needs to see it but the second pic pretty much nailed it.

Last edited:
Take your driver side tire and fender-well liner off, you'll see your filter then. That is something that the previous owner added, not the difference between Sport and GT.

Take your driver side tire and fender-well liner off, you'll see your filter then. That is something that the previous owner added, not the difference between Sport and GT.

Thanks mang! A little too much work right now for an air filter change. I'm due for a the Type D maintenance soon so I'll just leave the filter in the car for my friendly mech.

Zero. A panel filter(oem) won't fit. You have a conical filter at the other end which does not need to be replaced unless its torn, ripped etc. Some are dryflow and others need to be cleaned and reoiled. Either way its not something that you have to do as frequently as changing a drop in oem type filter.

I know some of you guys are laughing at me for not recognizing a CAI when I see one..

Thanks for not pointing and laughing at me.

So with that in mind now, I can skip the Cobb SRI idea and move on to the exhaust and handheld.

I've heard a Magnaflow on the youtube and it doesnt get my attention. I'd like something that sounds similar to a g37 and is a bolt on - Is there such a b****?

Since the Hypertech MaxEnergy has parameters for the MazdaSpeed, I'm leaning towards that. Unless someone can give me a good reason not.

Just FYI, not sure if you know this or not, the filter on the Mazdaspeed cai is a dry flow, wash it in a bucket with some simple green, let it dry out (usually an hour or so) and then replace. You don't have to oil the dry flow filters. Usually do it around every 10-15,000 miles. I would recommend an Injen Hydroshield for extra protection over it if it doesn't have it already.

Good point...use extreme caution going through deep puddles or even splashing shallow ones knowing that your air filter is close to the ground.

I just have the stock aluminum splash card on my MS CAI, I don't purposely hit puddles, but I live in WI, we get snow and lots of rain, hell I even get under-body flushes and don't have any issues FWIW.

Just FYI, not sure if you know this or not, the filter on the Mazdaspeed cai is a dry flow, wash it in a bucket with some simple green, let it dry out (usually an hour or so) and then replace. You don't have to oil the dry flow filters. Usually do it around every 10-15,000 miles. I would recommend an Injen Hydroshield for extra protection over it if it doesn't have it already.

I'll look into that and thanks for the info on the dry flow filter and more importantly, the hydroshield.

For lack of a better word, my engine 'cuts out' for a second at time under load during heay rains and or when there's a lot of water on the ground . Personally, I think its the snow tire tread and the sipes throwing water into my wheel wells as my I dont recall it happening with the A/S tires.. yet we just had a nice little slushy snow fall and the tires were throwing slush 4 feet to the side.. pedestrians look out!

Good point...use extreme caution going through deep puddles or even splashing shallow ones knowing that your air filter is close to the ground.

I never knew it was THAT low before.. and we get A LOT of rain here which is why I was initially looking at a SRI. But knowing now that I have a CAI, why bother. I will switch it up if I notice consistent problems.

Not uncommon for roads and certain flood prone on/off ramps to be closed here. But that's also the City's fault to continuing to develop on a flood plain which most of Vancouver and the surrounding "lower mainland" as we like to call, lies on.

I'd like something that sounds similar to a g37 and is a bolt on - Is there such a b****?

There's nothing you can install that will make it sound like a V6. I have, at least so far, stayed with the stock mufflers because most of the choices out there just sound like a tin can or a bumble bee.

I had an AEM CAI on my Spec V here in Calgary for 4 yrs and never had a problem with the filter sucking up water....even during the torrential rains of spring 2007. I remember having to cross a flooded road (1-2 ft of water) and no problem with the CAI. I know in the lower mainland you guys get tons of rain, but I think your CAI should be fine. One piece of advice though....when cleaning the Dryflow, I would suggest letting it dry overnight. I remember one time, I let it dry for 4 hours and it was still slightly wet. Had to use the car, so I installed it anyway.....car went out of commission pretty quick. Had to get it towed to my mechanic who had to vaccuum out the entire intake. He wasn't too thrilled with my decision making. Maybe, have a spare dryflow filter that you can swap out so you don't have to worry about drying.

BTW, wasn't too thrilled about the Canucks spanking my Oilers last night 6-1. They are looking good though. They're one shut down defenceman away from being a serious contender....

Last edited:
Back