I want to soundproof CX 9

Drogos

...so it's as hush inside as lexus would be ....or better. ANy thoughts, hints are welcomed. I am thinking about gutting most of the interior to put some close cell foam and weighted mats form 2ndskin.
I am wondering how easy or PITA removing some of those plastic panels will be.

there seem to be 2 schools of thought on weighted aluminum backed foil. Some say cover ALL, other say just put some on flat parts. It's all about increasing weight of the panel to decrease resonance frequency so while covering it all would definitely be preferred I am thinking that it might be overkill. Closed Cell foam will do most of the sound proofing work anyways

...so it's as hush inside as lexus would be ....or better. ANy thoughts, hints are welcomed. I am thinking about gutting most of the interior to put some close cell foam and weighted mats form 2ndskin.
I am wondering how easy or PITA removing some of those plastic panels will be.

I would think you are better off just getting a Lexus....

Really....that's the best idea u could come up with?....I am thinking that $300 worth of materials and one weekend will make it better than lexus

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

If I remember correctly youtube has a video on the door panel removal of the cx-9. Maybe that can help you with your project.

I would think you are better off just getting a Lexus....

+1. Making a vehicle as quiet as a Lexus starts at design time and isn't as simple as stuffing panels with insulation. Lexus puts a lot of time into the engineering and design of their door seals and airflow to make sure wind and road noise stays outside. It's really clear hopping from my VW CC to my wife's CX-9 that Mazda cut corners here. At highway speeds you can tell the Mazda isn't nearly as well sealed around the doors and windows as it's German garagemate. No amount of stuffing the doors with foam, sound deadening or anything else is going to solve the fact that air and noise are getting through the gaps.

If you want to try it removing the door panels is easy. I did it when I replaced the driver's side window channel. Search around, there's lot of videos and step by step guides out there.

Really....that's the best idea u could come up with?....I am thinking that $300 worth of materials and one weekend will make it better than lexus

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
If you think you can spend $300 and make your car quieter than a Lexus, without creating a host of new rattles by pulling apart all those interior panels, you should do that.

Seriously, if it was that simple, don't you think other car companies would do that (keeping in mind it would cost them probably less than 1/2 what you have to spend)?

Last edited:
The noise in my CX-9 is from door/window seals. I love my CX-9 but good god this is the loudest car I've ever owned. No sound deadener is going to fix this issue. If you do anything to lower sound then look into new door/window seals...will be a lot easier than pulling all interior panels off to add sound deadener material

The noise in my CX-9 is from door/window seals. I love my CX-9 but good god this is the loudest car I've ever owned. No sound deadener is going to fix this issue. If you do anything to lower sound then look into new door/window seals...will be a lot easier than pulling all interior panels off to add sound deadener material

Agreed, more cost effective to fix the driver's door/window seals first than pulling off interior panels,
all that money put into interior panels won't help unless you fix the window seal problem first

see here, this really worked for me and got rid of the whistling/wind tunnel noise
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123849817-Fixed-CX-9-driver-side-wind-noise-buffering-sound

also, here
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123849797-3-98-trick-to-reduce-wind-noise-and-make-passenger-cabin-quieter

gummi pflege on all the weather stripping works too:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Lol the cx9 is the quietest Car I've owned in a while, mind you we had a MX6, protege's and a contour before that so it's not saying much. I will say that the cx9 is by far the quietest Mazda I've had. Of course it's not a lexus, but I didn't want to drive a marshmallow.

I thought our cx9 was quiet until I got my new F150.

As far as adding all of the sound proofing - what will it weigh? How much more $$ and fuel will you be using? How many more rattles from not getting the interior back together as tight as from the factory?

I traded my CX-9 for a Durango. The Durango is much quieter. Less noise from the road, wind and mechanicals. (But the CX-9 is a much more engaging drive so tradeoffs.)

Latest posts

Back