I think my Maf is screwed

whatusername

:
02 protege5
Hey guys i installed my FMic and new piping today and i accidently put the Maf on in reverse and drove it in boost.Needless to say it ran like s*** no power and afr pegging 10 so then i flipped it to correct placement and just took the car for a ride and i hit wat feels like a fuel cut wall at 3500 rpms it just slams and varies from 3500-4k and after that its pegged at 10 afr did i fuk up my maf or is there something else going on? keep in mind it was running fine before the upgrade

running it backward shouldnt have screwed it up, unless it got something on it, try cleaning it with a can of MAF sensor cleaner and see if it helps. is your check engine light on? if so get the codes. i am willing to bet it has something else wrong, unless the maf got something on it, and ruined it

+1 clean the MAF, it's possible it was damaged when you were wrenching on the car but they don't fail all too often.

no check eng light and maf was recently cleaned wit crc maf cleaner but i will do it again. how do i test the maf? and tomorrow i will do a boost leak check

Last edited:
no check eng light and maf was recently cleaned wit crc maf cleaner but i will do it again. how do i test the maf? and tomorrow i will do a boost leak check
http://easyautodiagnostics.com/testing_maf_sensor/maf_sensor_testing_1.php the basics on how to test one. other way is to get a (working) used one out of a junk car and replace then if good your good, or as i would recommend not using a used one permanently, so buy a new one after. obviously if needed. it may have gotten dirt on it from being in backward or it may have screwed up computer. try disconnecting battery for a little bit to reset computer see if that helps as well.

thanks for the link to test the maf problem is i dont know what wires do what on my maf... supposedly it suppoed to say a,b,c on it but i cannot find it.. anyone know which wire is 12v+ and ground? and ecu V
i cleaned the maf but when i started it up my AFR was 10.5 at idle.. i shut it off cranked it up again and it went to 14.5-15 at idle then the car shook and down to 10's again
EDIT: i got the manual online and did the test on the maf green/black being the signal wire i used a dvom at 20v dc setting and got 2.15 @ idle whch is in range but at 2500 rpm i should have had 6.2 - 7.4 but i got 2.7 would u say maf is bad?

Last edited:
Sounds like the MAF is bad but I would double check the harness for damage just in case.

Junkyards all offer a parts warranty, LKQ is 30 days free warranty no questions asked. Another local yards sells warranties for $1 a day.

yea i tested the plug for 12v and ground according to the test on the link and it was ok just the readings were off for the signal.. im going to my local u pull it now and see if i can finde 1. i was skeptical at first but then i came across this tidbit of information so im sure i can find one.
MAF Compatibility
99-03 chevy tracker
99-05 mazda miata
99-03 suzuki vitara
99-03 mazda protege/protege5/msp 1.8/2.0

Last edited:
new is better on electrical pieces from my experience with junkyard parts. maybe expensive but you wont have to make 3 or more trips and be out the money.

SOlVED: i feel soooo stupid posting this but gonna do it anyways,.. turns out that arrow on top of the maf is actually jus a triangle not an arrow and the flow arrow in on the side.. i had it in reversed which means i had it correct when i thought it was reversed and then flipped it.. no more fuel cut and doing the test on signal wire it responds normally

Huh! I didn't think direction would matter - but i guess it does. [shrug]
I mean yeah, they have a direction for install so it must... But logically speaking...

meh.

yes it does matter on direction, a maf sensor is a piece of heated wire all it does is sit there with heat on it, like a stove top. when air passes over it, it cools it somewhat. the computer uses the info the sensor reads by way of measuring the change in resistance when the wire is cooled by air. this allows the computer to know how much air and at what temp that air is coming in. so it needs to face the way the air will be coming from to function correctly

a maf sensor is a piece of heated wire

Our wire is actually flat too, so it's got a "face" and I would think it would matter even more.

(apparently even removing the "screen" it front of it makes a difference,.,.. It's supposed to smooth out the air flow.)

Latest posts

Back