I think I hydrolocked my car

SP33D

:
Black Mica MSP
I was trying to drive to my friends house in a downpoor.. one road was flooded so i turned around and tried going another way... that road was flooded so i turned down a side street... like the last alternate route without having to go like WAY out of the way.. and i thought that the road was flooded like maybe 3 inches... but it was actually flooded like 2-3 feet.. and about 30 feet across. I tried driving thru it. CEL came on. car stalled. i took off my socks and shoes as fast as i could.. rolled up my pants, jumped out of the car and closed the door as fast as i could so water couldnt get inside my car. ended up locking my keys in my car. pushed the car all the way out of the puddle to where it was just sitting on the road instead of the puddle. stood out in the rain till my parents brought my other set of keys (20 mins) tried starting the car and it wouldnt turn over.

So what is going to happen now? do i have to get the motor rebuilt? is it possible that if i let it sit for the night it might start tommorow?

PS. i have an injen CAI just so u guys know. please dont call me a dumbass... because im pretty upset right now.. and soakign wet, but worried. i wish i wouldve seen how deep the puddle (river.. lol) actually was

if you are a competant mechanic pull the head, dry it out, check for any damage, then install new gaskets and bolt back together. there is even a fairly good chance your turbo will live.....

dude ok your not a dumbass and I totally feel for you. With that being said I would have made sure 100% what I was getting into just to make sure esp with a cai. I live in woodbridge and it came down a lot today...Probably more rain today then we had in months. Next time park on the side until you see someone else go through something like that. I would have much rather parked and slept a bit till it subsided or just park her there for the night. You have an awesome looking msp. I hope you don't write the car off all together. If you need a rebuild go forged and learn from the experience. I had an injen cai on my MSP and it sat extremely low...not sure how much water was sucked up but I hope for the best. Good Luck!

how fast were you going?

if you were at low speed then i think you might be ok.

heres something to try:
pulll all your spark plugs. then try to crank the car. if there is water in there it will shoot out and you should be ok. If you were at low speed then this may work. if you were going faster then say 15 mph however, it could be gone.

try to pull the plugs and crank her. when you pull the plugs of course disconnect your coil packs as well. you could do this now and try it out. let me know what happens.

-B

you may be fine. Change the oil, check the plugs, make sure the filter is dry and start cranking her. You would be surprized how much water gets shot into the intake with my water injection kit...

I did the same as this with my mx6 V6. Turns out all I needed was a new vaf and everything was fine (check yours btw)

anyways, worst case synerio the motor is blown so you have to go to a local junkyard and pull one from a rear ended protege for a couple hundred bucks and then slap her in. Will take you a weekend if you get some knowledgable friends to help. (the normally aspirated 2.0l protege motor will work fine in your speed, same thing)

or if you have money buy forged internals and rebuild, or try to claim this on insurance, it why you pay them every month no? Get some return from those monthly charges for once! (naughty)

similar thing happened to my cousins mx6. except he was excited about it. insurance paid him 5k to put ina new motor. needless to say, he was able to afford the motor and ton of other things too. i hope it works out for you and the engine isnt locked. but if it is, i then hope you make out as well as he did. good luck

EDIT: then again if water actually forced itself through the cars interior. and the carpet got wet. then the car is totaled (atleast in michigan it is)

I agree with pulling the plugs and cranking it. I would also disconnect all air pipes and let it suck the air straight from the throttle body. This would get rid of any water in combustion chamber and heads. Just hope you didnt damage any valves or electronics!

i wouldnt take off all the pipes, just take the filter off and after your do a dry crank. If only a small amount of water got it it could be save also replace the plugs while your at it. seee where your at.

Does the starter turn? If not, check the fuses inside the car and on the engine bay.
If it turns, maybe:

1. MAF is wacked...wait until it is dry or dry it out.

2. Change plugs...this is a must!!!!! (check them)

3. Reset ECU, you may have had a shorted sensor

4. Check all your fuses, a simple short circuit in the engine bay will burn a fuse or a couple.

Back