I Think I Have Some MAJOR Problems

lokalmotive

:
1989 Honda CRX
**This is pretty long. Sorry.**

So I got bored today and decided that I wanted to change the fluid in my tranny. I just needed something to do and I've actually been getting some funny noises and sounds as of late, so I figured that I'd just check the fluid level and add some if it needed it or whatever. Well when I pulled the plug on the side I had plenty of fluid, BUT........... THERE WERE METAL SHAVINGS IN IT!!!!!!!! I've been noticing that the clutch feels horrible lately and there's a clunking noise coming from somewhere in between the shift lever and the linkage. I also get a crazy bad rattling from somewhere underneath the car towards the front but only when I have the clutch depressed or when I let out on it while starting on an upward slope. I don't know what the problem could be and I'm taking it to Mazda next week. Anyone have some ideas on what this could be so I can try to either fix it myself or prepared for any crap my dealership might give me about it.

Pull off your Injen and you should be alright at the dealers. Do not go in with mods or more than likely they will tell you to get stuffed.

yashooa said:
Pull off your Injen and you should be alright at the dealers. Do not go in with mods or more than likely they will tell you to get stuffed.

They know I have the Injen. I've been in with it on before and never had a problem getting anything done. They don't know anything about the MSP. I had to pull up the TSB on the reflash for them when I got it done. They have a really hard time finding info on the MSP. I basically have to direct them everytime I go. In all honesty I think they believe that the Injen came on the car.

If anyone has some suggestions tho I'm still open for them. I just don't want to get to the dealership and them tell me nothin is wrong if someone else has had a similar problem that ended up being pretty major.

lokalmotive said:
They know I have the Injen. I've been in with it on before and never had a problem getting anything done. They don't know anything about the MSP. I had to pull up the TSB on the reflash for them when I got it done. They have a really hard time finding info on the MSP. I basically have to direct them everytime I go. In all honesty I think they believe that the Injen came on the car.
Man I wish the Speed dealer I took mine to said that. They were adament (sp?) about the CAI voiding the warranty for the ENTIRE drivetrain.
Sorry I'm no help on the tranny issue. :(

i don't know man.

I've had the shift forks go out on my tranny, as well as some collars or something i think, but it just got stuck in gear, nothing like what you're describing. I'd say take it in to them and see what they say, as long as you're on warranty. FWIW my intake and gauges made absolutely no difference on the warranty coverage for my tranny, and if your dealer is as ignorant as you say, i'm sure you would have NO problem of it.

jmv said:
i don't know man.

I've had the shift forks go out on my tranny, as well as some collars or something i think, but it just got stuck in gear, nothing like what you're describing. I'd say take it in to them and see what they say, as long as you're on warranty. FWIW my intake and gauges made absolutely no difference on the warranty coverage for my tranny, and if your dealer is as ignorant as you say, i'm sure you would have NO problem of it.

They are pretty ignorant sometimes. I even got told once that the MSP didn't exsist. LOL.

Still nobody with info or ideas?

This isn't the first time though. I checked the fluid at 17K and there was NO oil in it (it was almost like Mazda forgot it) and some very small hardly noticeable shavings in the oil that overflowed once I got it filled (which took almost a whole quart). I didn't even notice it the first time until I got bored and looked at the spot of overflow REALLY REALLY closely. I filled it up with 90w then and decided that I was getting these noises and everything else now that I'd check it again. This time the shavings were pretty bad so I don't know what's going on.

I switched to amsoil at about 20-22k and had it pulled at 30k when I had my mechanic service my speed. It was starting to make this whiney moaning sound making u turns and parking lot manuvers and such. He used the stuff he's got in his speed and I never heard another noise after that. What are you running?

lokalmotive said:
This isn't the first time though. I checked the fluid at 17K and there was NO oil in it (it was almost like Mazda forgot it) and some very small hardly noticeable shavings in the oil that overflowed once I got it filled (which took almost a whole quart). I didn't even notice it the first time until I got bored and looked at the spot of overflow REALLY REALLY closely. I filled it up with 90w then and decided that I was getting these noises and everything else now that I'd check it again. This time the shavings were pretty bad so I don't know what's going on.

Nevermind sounds like the lack of oil was already wearing down the gears in the first 17k. Sounds like the gears are beginning to shred and wear out faster than they should.

Last edited:
Well this just adds to the list of things that is going to leave my car stuck at the dealership for a while. They've already got to replace the turbo. I don't think I'm going to get to drive for a while.

Clunk, broken LSD's, clutches, turbo seals, cracked manifolds, EGR's, etc. etc. The list goes on. Yuppers. Gotta love our Ford's... I mean Mazda's.

lokalmotive said:
You are lucky my dealer was a MazdaSpeed dealer and they would deny you for just about anything.

I'd actually be SCARED if I went to that dealer. While it's all well and good that he's an obvious ignoramous when it comes to slightly modded MSP's, it's also PROBABLY not the best thing to take it there for them to "tinker" with either. So don't be surprised if you DO leave it there and then go back to find everything in a 1x2 cardboard box with a bunch of mechanic's going durghhh.

laracroft said:
I'd actually be SCARED if I went to that dealer. While it's all well and good that he's an obvious ignoramous when it comes to slightly modded MSP's, it's also PROBABLY not the best thing to take it there for them to "tinker" with either. So don't be surprised if you DO leave it there and then go back to find everything in a 1x2 cardboard box with a bunch of mechanic's going durghhh.

The only problem is that the dealer I take it to is the only one in the area. The closest one besides this one is 3 hours away, and they are just as ignorant.

Ohhh geez man. That really does suck. I've got two Mazda dealers near me, neither of which work on Mazdaspeeds. I had to find a tuner shop that works on cars with aftermarket parts. You might want to check into places within 50 miles of home that could work on the car also that AREN'T Mazda dealers. All I can say is good luck and let the force be with you.

Back