I need someone's HELP ASAP, please

xdarkox

:
mazda protege 2000 ES 1.8l
Hi everyone, i tried everything to repair this problem, I need someone's help, any idea, i replaced already a lot of things.

Problem: Intermittent starting problem, turn on the key , all accessories are on, turn key to ON position and sometimes starts, and sometimes you just hear click. It has been like this for last 6 months.

Car: Mazda Protege 2000, 1.8 ES Auto, 150k miles

Things that I tried so far and replaced.

New Battery
New ignition coil
Removed starter and took it to auto-zone to bench test, passed, did it few times
Yesterday I removed steering wheel and column, and I put brand new Ignition switch, checked all the wires everything looks new, there is no corrosion or loose ends.

When it doesn't start , i pull key out, play with it, put it in ignition cylinder few times, and eventually starts, sometimes it starts every time for 50 times in a row, and than next time doesn't want to start.
I looked everywhere, shop manual, forums, you name it. I'm exhausted, i was thinking maybe starter has intermittent problem, i don't know. Is there a some kind of a relay on our cars that it located in between starter and ignition switch.
I'm tired of buying new parts to see that they didn't solve the problem.

When it doesnt start I can clearly hear one click in the glove compartment area, sowhere where A/c unit is.

Attachments

• Starter.jpg
    Starter.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 100
+1 I would guess the ignition switch first, then the starter/solenoid. My car does this occasionally but never frequently enough to fix it

That's how they start out, here and there then get worse and worse. When it gets in it's spell get it to roll forward in gear to get the starter to move then try it. When autozone tests them it's not working against against anything

Replaced ignition switch yesterday, Problem is still there, so should I pony up cash for new starter, can I test it some how while its on the car, maybe measure voltage on Terminal 1 and 2 on pic below, how is that done by the way.

terminals.JPG

Last edited:
+1 I would guess the ignition switch first, then the starter/solenoid. My car does this occasionally but never frequently enough to fix it

Thats how mine was, now it does it every freakin time , it got so much worse, to the point when I cant start for half hour

That's how they start out, here and there then get worse and worse. When it gets in it's spell get it to roll forward in gear to get the starter to move then try it. When autozone tests them it's not working against against anything
I thought that auto tranny cannot be started by rolling forward in gear

Test the terminals, forgot that I have had the power wire going from switch to starter mess up in both my protege and 323. Although if it is the starter there's no way to tell. Make sure it's supported and tap the starter with a hammer next time

It's kind of a replace stuff till it's fixed issue, not a whole lot it can be though

test the voltage to the starter, if it's weak try using it to trigger a relay for good solid power to starter.

Or bypass everything like I did. Run a wire from battery to button to starter. Saves the hassle of any sort of diagnosis

It could also be a bad ground connection at the opposite end of the battery cable.

Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Tapatalk

There should be 12 volts to the starter when turning the ignition switch. If there isn't, make sure the ignition switch has 12 volts (input). Backtrack until you find the problem area. Worse case - take it to an auto electric shop. They are the pros.

Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Tapatalk

Back