I LOVE MY NEW 3 but the center console keeps swallowing things....

Does anyone know of a manual or instructions for removing the center console on the new 2010 mazda 3. I've lost some change and a tube of chapstick down there. There are many small holes i the cup-holder area that allow small items to fall right in. This is my only complaint. PLEASE HELP!!

Was it a tube of Burt's Bees? Or just regular sick old chapstick. If it wasn't Burt's Bees I would just let it go.

Anyway- you might search for short shifter installation threads on the forums? Surely someone has installed one on a 2010 somewhere and that would be the same instructions.

the cup holder and shifter area just clips in so if you just carfully lift/ pull up it will lift off :)

Narrowing it down...

I found the two screws that hold the console on in the back...they are in the console compartment at the very bottom by the A/C power and aux in jacks. Unfortunately it looks like the whole thing comes off together up to the A/C controls and I can't figure out how to remove the front. I stopped trying because I'm afraid of breaking it. Hope someone can figure it out and post. Thanks for the replies.

The other poor design...

The gear shifter is covered by some cheap plastic that slides back and forth as you shift. It doesn't create a seal against the gear cover so i've had some coins fall out of the coin drop and slide down the gear shifter area. How can they not realize this when they design the console. Dorks.(fu)

The gear shifter is covered by some cheap plastic that slides back and forth as you shift. It doesn't create a seal against the gear cover so i've had some coins fall out of the coin drop and slide down the gear shifter area. How can they not realize this when they design the console. Dorks.

Mine feels pretty solid and doesn't rally have any gaps that stuff could fall down... the cup holder is a different story the bottom side is open to the inside of the console but its for cups not chapstick ;)

I found the two screws that hold the console on in the back...they are in the console compartment at the very bottom by the A/C power and aux in jacks. Unfortunately it looks like the whole thing comes off together up to the A/C controls and I can't figure out how to remove the front. I stopped trying because I'm afraid of breaking it. Hope someone can figure it out and post. Thanks for the replies.

The cup holder and shifter panel just lift out. Remove the cup holder first then unscrew your shift handle (automatic and manual unscrew the same) then lift out the shifter panel, there is some wiring to the shift console that just unplugs. That will give you access to the whole inside of your center console.... no need to unscrew anything and shouldn't have to pull the whole console! But if you insist on taking the whole thing out i believe the rest of the screws are on the inside so you still need to remove the cup holder and shifter console anyway....

here are some pics

DSC04076.jpg

DSC04077.jpg

DSC04080.jpg

DSC04081.jpg

Last edited:
Just curious, how DOES the shift knob come off? When you say "unscrew"... is the shaft end threaded and the knob itself is just screwed onto the shaft (like in the old days)? Or is there a screw on the side that pins that knob to the shaft (like on a lot of newer cars)?

Slightly off topic, but while we're talking about removing shift knobs...

Does anyone offer an aftermarket black, perfectly round shift knob that looks like the old Hurst ball knobs often found on old American musclecars?... I love those... maybe Hurst makes one for this car?

Looks like this:
BlackhurstKnob.jpg
Yes the end of the shaft is threaded.... knob just screws on.

Check out TWM they have great quality, you can get them with the shift pattern engraved too. Very easy install! Availabe in flat black

http://www.twmshiftknobs.com/shiftknobs/m1abrams-shiftknobs.html

Last edited:
Cool! Thanks! These knobs look good! Not quite exactly "Hurst balls", but close enough... and these are probably better anyway as they have some weight to them.

So, to get the stock knob off, is it just a matter of grabbing the knob real tight and twisting counter-clockwise? Or is there a lock-screw / lock-nut somewhere, or...? What exactly is the knob swap procedure on this car?

Counter-Clockwise/left remove- Clockwise/right to install. Just grab and turn.

All TWM shift knobs themselves are universal w/ vehicle specific hardware or what the call NTIS technology, basically The knob is threaded to accept different inserts for different vehicles, ours is a insert with matching threads also a locknut to set the hight and to fine adjust it to orientate the etched shift pattern facing the right way and a few different spacers and instructions. All I used was the insert and lock nut...didn't need the spacers.
10 to 20min install w/reading directions and doing adjustments

Wow... just grab and turn? That's easy. I wonder how the stock knob gets oriented? In other words, when they put the stock knob on at the factory, how do they get the shift pattern graphic properly oriented? Does the stock knob have a separate adjustment lock-nut too?

It's cool that the TWM knobs have adjustable height... nice added feature.

there is a spacer thats attached to the the under side of the shift boot plus the depth of the threads and bore on the factory knob only alow it to thread down so many turns before its tight against the spacer...is my guess

If it's anything like the make-up of the interior of the MS6, it's maybe 2 screws and then about a dozen clips that just release when pulled out. That's all there was in the 6, at least.

Apples and Oranges

Mine feels pretty solid and doesn't rally have any gaps that stuff could fall down... the cup holder is a different story the bottom side is open to the inside of the console but its for cups not chapstick

I appreciate you taking pictures and trying to help but I think we're comparing apples and oranges. Mine is an automatic and while your gear shifter is completely sealed by the leather material mine is a series of plastic stacked on each other that slides back and forth.

Also my cup holder does not just lift out. I tried in various ways and I would have to break something to pull it out.

I still can't figure out how to get the center console off but I'll keep trying new things and hoping....praying...wishing. (2thumbs)

I stopped into Tim Hortans this morning. I had $2 in loonies on me. One of those ***** loonies fell between the console and the ebrake. Needless to say I couldn't get my timmies. bad start to the morning

Slightly off topic, but while we're talking about removing shift knobs...

Does anyone offer an aftermarket black, perfectly round shift knob that looks like the old Hurst ball knobs often found on old American musclecars?... I love those... maybe Hurst makes one for this car?

There is the Cobb Knob too I think. . .though not sure if it is any closer to what you're looking for.

Back on topic, I too hate the cupholder in this car. . .I always throw my change in the cupholder, so now I have a few bucks worth of change "stashed" for future use - assuming I'm hard up enough to remove the cupholder and go digging for it. Some day. . .but definitely not today.

Back