I like my new '02 P5 but...

Bob Loblaw said:
I find the whining alternator annoying. Does anybody else have that nuisance?

Is it the whining alternator noise at low say 1k-1.5k rpm?

Mine does that too. It worried me at first, but I've heard a lot of other proteges on the street that do it as well. Makes me think "they all do that".

the tortoise said:
Is it the whining alternator noise at low say 1k-1.5k rpm?

Mine does that too. It worried me at first, but I've heard a lot of other proteges on the street that do it as well. Makes me think "they all do that".

It's not necessarily at a particular RPM range. It's just higher pitched at higher RPM's. And it's not related to a cold or hot engine. It just comes and goes at random times. The service guys at Bank Street Mazda and Argus Mazda both told me the same thing. This is common for Protg alternators. You can put in a new one and it can be worse than the one you've just replaced... (boom07)

Bob Loblaw said:
It's not necessarily at a particular RPM range. It's just higher pitched at higher RPM's. And it's not related to a cold or hot engine. It just comes and goes at random times. The service guys at Bank Street Mazda and Argus Mazda both told me the same thing. This is common for Protg alternators. You can put in a new one and it can be worse than the one you've just replaced... (boom07)

It may be like the ford power steering pumps that may a ton of noise, new or old.

Interesting that it's noticeable at higher RPMs. All of the proteges that I've heard have the noise just off of idle.

Bob Loblaw said:
I find the whining alternator annoying. Does anybody else have that nuisance?

Are you sure that it's the alternator?

On an automatic P5 if you release the gas and coast some part of the transmission makes a high pitched which sounds like a turbine winding down. It's not very loud though and can only be heard with the radio off. I read somewhere or other that this is a normal sound for the car. I've only ever heard that whine under those conditions.

My car has the manual transmission.

Now I'm not 100% sure it's the alternator, but the belts were all tightened so I know that's not the cause and Mazda service guys at two dealerships told me it was the alternator after I described the problem to them.

OT, but, my god, someone else actually watches Arrested Development!
Best name for a lawyer ever in the history of TV.
I <3 that show.

Protephile said:
I <3 that show.

Yeah, they friggin' stole the name from me. :) I've been using in online since '99.

Bob Loblaw said:
Yeah, they friggin' stole the name from me. :) I've been using in online since '99.
I always thought it was the name of a store... somehow...

Well, as you probably know, Loblaw's is a big grocery chain here in Canada. So yeah, they came up with "Loblaw" before me. I added the "Bob" back in '99 because I liked how it sounds. ;)

Bob Loblaw said:
Well, as you probably know, Loblaw's is a big grocery chain here in Canada. So yeah, they came up with "Loblaw" before me. I added the "Bob" back in '99 because I liked how it sounds. ;)

Maybe the royalty cheque is in the mail?

Protephile said:
I <3 that show.

Too bad Fox cancelled their order for the whole season. Unless they get a serious number of people to watch the remainder of the 13 episodes they already bought for this season they aren't going to complete season three (sad1) So everyone go out and watch the rest of the episodes this season because TV should have some intelligent alternatives to the normal trash that is on TV these days.

what the hell is a "new 02" p5?

and to answer the question, 75k miles on the car (and original belts) and no noise on the car

YellowMP5 said:
what the hell is a "new 02" p5?

and to answer the question, 75k miles on the car (and original belts) and no noise on the car
are you that dense? or did you just want to flame him? (stfu)

Back