i got one! but bad mileage

jasony88

hello everybody

I have been driving my protege 5 for about a month now and i love it

I got a 2003 Protege 5 @ 37000km, with leather, sunroof everything for $15000 CDN....low kms....automatic....love it

I think i am getting pretty bad fuel mileage though....when i first got it....my tank only lasted me 400km...which is pretty bad when i compared it to the mileage ppl are posting....so i tried using fuel injectors and light acceleration, i got 490km with 6L left in the tank...so still about 10km/100km =\

Is this normal? i kno its winter here right now but yeah....this mileage stats is the same as my dad's van (2000 pontiac montana) -_-

I have checked the air filter, changed the oil, checked tire pressure..everything was fine

I drive about...70%-80% highway(120km/h) and the rest city

any tips?

is your air filter stock or aftermarket? (you might need to clean your filter)

I use about 9.2L/100km - 2002 automatic.

This is with about 75% freeway driving (100km/h). Looks like your milage isn't too far off what it should be. Most people report 23-26 mpg in the city..

yeah don't know about liter, but I get about 24-28mpg and I have ingen intake.

oh so this is normal....

everything in the car is stock

i have read about using sea foam....mayb ill try that next

gas prices r going up >.> need to get better mileage lol

does anyone know if using the tiptronic/manumatic would actually help with mileage?

jasony88 said:
hello everybody

I have been driving my protege 5 for about a month now and i love it

I got a 2003 Protege 5 @ 37000km, with leather, sunroof everything for $15000 CDN....low kms....automatic....love it

I think i am getting pretty bad fuel mileage though....

The automatic is much less efficient than the manual in city driving. On the highway it's about the same as the manual. We've been over this a few times, but maybe start here:

http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123636065&highlight=mpg

I live in Ontario, I do mostly city driving with my manual. I get about 380-400km per tank as well. I've never been able to get more.

I've checked for everything:
  • under-inflated tires,
  • wrong temperature spark plugs,
  • dirty air filter,
  • bad coils,
  • dragging brakes,
  • Even when I drive like an old lady, still the same sucky mileage.
I'm pretty much out of ideas. I know my 1st cat is bad, threw a CEL, had to use the non-fouler trick. I doubt that could cause the loss of ~150km per tank though.

Like you, I'm stumped.

jasony88 said:
I think i am getting pretty bad fuel mileage though....when i first got it....my tank only lasted me 400km...which is pretty bad when i compared it to the mileage ppl are posting....so i tried using fuel injectors and light acceleration, i got 490km with 6L left in the tank...so still about 10km/100km =\

I've only my P5 over a month now and haven't been able to do any real testing but I did run 586KM on one tank before the light came on. Manual tranny and yes high gas prices. $40 bucks got me 37 litres of fuel. And I don't know if the tank was completely filled cause I just told the guy to put in $40. So I'm not sure if this is considered good or not. All city driving.

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm a new member here and I am having the same troubles with my mileage. I live in toronto and purchased a 2002 protege5 auto. about a week ago . It has low km's, ~55,000. I do 30% highway and 70% city driving and don't really have a heavy right foot. During the week that I have driven my p5, I have experienced poor mileage. The last time I filled up gas I put about 21 liters and that put the gas meter from close to empty to half tank. Since then I have driven about 150kms and the meter is down to the quarter marking (last main marker before empty). Is this normal?? Also, while cruising on the highway at 110km/h is it normal for the RPM to be at around 3000rpm. I don't know if it's normal or not, I used to have a 98 altima which had a 2.4, and it cruised at 110km/h at about 2300-2500 rpm, is it due to the difference is engine displacement? Sorry to be such a newb. My main concern is the mileage though.

Last edited:
try read what what thrasher posted above u xD for my car, my mileage was being eaten up by worn spark plugs and a super dirty air filter plus my tires were a bit low in psi.after all of that, i noticed that my car doesnt eat up as much gas.(sorry i dont know how to make those mpg figures.i just notice cause i fill up less when i do alot of driving hehe) o yea the high rpms is normal for our cars.so no worries xD if u wanna lower the rpms, theres a thread on the gear upgrade but i dont think people would recommend that just to lower ur rpm by like 500. also check out pasadena_commut's link out xD hehe also the search button is ur friend cause its my friend too xP

JafMP5 said:
Hi,

I'm a new member here and I am having the same troubles with my mileage. I live in toronto and purchased a 2002 protege5 auto. about a week ago . It has low km's, ~55,000. I do 30% highway and 70% city driving and don't really have a heavy right foot. During the week that I have driven my p5, I have experienced poor mileage. The last time I filled up gas I put about 21 liters and that put the gas meter from close to empty to half tank. Since then I have driven about 150kms and the meter is down to the quarter marking (last main marker before empty). Is this normal?? Also, while cruising on the highway at 110km/h is it normal for the RPM to be at around 3000rpm. I don't know if it's normal or not, I used to have a 98 altima which had a 2.4, and it cruised at 110km/h at about 2300-2500 rpm, is it due to the difference is engine displacement? Sorry to be such a newb. My main concern is the mileage though.

My MSP gets me at least 550km (50 litres) and I drive both city and highway. I've got a heavy foot most of the times too.

The most I ever got was 675km (52 litres). Probably because I was 95% on the hiway doing 110km/h(3000 rpm)

I'm up in Thunder Bay, Ontario, and my 2002 Protege 5 that I bought last summer seems to get a bit over 400km in the city consistently. A bit dissapointing, but oh well. Does awesome on the highway though according to the few trips to the states I've gone on

damnn i wish i could get 550+/tank....being a student and paying for gas is no easy task -.-''

hopefully my mileage will get better as the weather gets warmer here in toronto

I drive standard and get about 500-550Km/tank city driving.

Last hwy drive i did...90% hwy, 10% city netted me about 650 Km for the 50 of the 55 L tank.

Oh and by the way...you dad's Montana probably has a 70 or 80 L tank as opposed to your 55 L tank...so, no matter which way you look at it, you're still getting better mileage...kilometreage...?

P5inder said:

Last hwy drive i did...90% hwy, 10% city netted me about 650 Km for the 50 of the 55 L tank.

Oh and by the way...you dad's Montana probably has a 70 or 80 L tank as opposed to your 55 L tank...so, no matter which way you look at it, you're still getting better mileage...kilometreage...?

Wow...that is great mileage. But I certainly cant get that. WHat speed are you on the highway..you must be dead on 100km/hr.

Granted, I do ALOT of turning car on/off..short trips in the city so that might come into play. With 89 octane, my last tank of gas (44L fill up), was 420km (and that was 90% city)....

Usually between 80-110...any faster than that it'll suck it like its nuttin'...

Great big hills are crap though...especially if you want to keep your speed up...

City driving is bad...when I was working close to home I only got about 450 for the same number of L.

P5inder said:

the van is a 60L and it gets about...500 some during the winter and almost 600 during summer

well my last tank i just got 500km @ 49L...still not that great but dosent look like im gona b getting any better then this =\

i wish i can get those 600s -_- im driving about 80% highway @ 120km/h

we've had the P5 for roughly 6 months, back in Sept, we were seeing 500-550K from a full tank to empty running 89 octane(80% highway), Mid october, i put in a K&N filter, lots almost 50K to a tank, as i have lost with all my cars to date that received a K&N filter.

Winter then hit, and a remote start running the car on cold cold days for 5 mins tops, and my wife drives 10mins to work, and we were seeing 400Km tops to a full tank of 89. Swapped the K&N out for stock filter, gained another 50K to the tank.

Now the weather is nice again, w/ stock filter, the P5 is turning out 450-500K on 80% city driving.

So in short, the p5 will fair us 8.5L/100km hwy, and 10l/100Km city in summer, and add roughly 11-11.5l/100Km city in winter, no true hwy driving in winter.

I hope this helps, the P5 is okay on gas, its not a miser, but its pretty fair considering it is a larger 4cyl. Dont worry, it is still better than my turbo colts which get 14L/100K, and 11L/100K respectively, and they are 1.6l's.

Cheers

Back