I did it again!

Good news! Your order from Flyin' Miata has been shipped.
GOAT Heifer International - goat 1.00 1.00 0.00
..and got my Hydra baseline map from Jeremy.

Also ordered a Thompson oil filter relocation. Best reviewed one that I have found in the past couple years, but has been sold out and no plans to do another run ... until recently. :) 12th on the preorder.

awesome mike....so what are you running for mods again, for your baseline? i got the thompson too, love it!

FM complete intake, ebay intercooler, FM complete exhaust, and I think that's all that counts for power.

Yeah, my oil changes have left me cringing, was really happy to see that they re-started a run. Another thing I was pleased to see with the Thompson is that they added a temperature sensor bung to the filter base, which saves me an entire adapter plate :) Just have to get the sender and wire it to the Hydra.

In theory, this will mean no adapter plates outside of what the filter relocation case, although I have to figure out how to thermostatically control the oil cooler (heat sink really). None of the in-line oil thermostats I have found appeal to me. Most of them look like crudely hacked hunks of metal, and even the nicer ones are still cast aluminum, which I hear is a complete no-go due to being too brittle. One I found is machined aluminum, but the dimensions defy belief, and the cost is...substantial. I may instead figure out a method for quick-disconnect and just not run the oil cooling on the street, only plug it in for the track.

Coming along nicely and congrats on the 2. I had been contemplating trading the P5 in for one about a year ago. It meets my needs for a basic dd to/from work but trade value on the P5 is minimal so I opted to keep it along with no car payment.

If you ever do decide to make the trip for that hood and don't want to risk hassle from the po-po, lmk...I'd be willing to swing by and throw it in the hatch. I'm sure a Miata hood will fit, I brought back Mark's carbon fiber hood in it.

That's a good offer :)

I am going to give a shot at tucking the MSM's hood into the 2 this week, although I expect it won't fit, as the seats aren't as accommodating as the P5's I think. If not, I'll let you know. Ideally within the next week or so is my target.

Offer is good, hopefully we can work something out logistically.

When I told my wife the other night she looked at me like I grew two heads and simply said 'you are dumb'. lol

lol....thought my wife would have after my numerous visits to Mark's to wash the car.

I think my wife was resigned by the time I left for my trip out to the west coast in 2010 just to drive the PCH. I think some of her words were: "Wait a minute, you are going to drive across the country and back... just for FUN?!??!?" (rofl2)

UPS has arrived!

IMG_20130329_122455.jpg

IMG_20130329_123745.jpg

IMG_20130329_124130.jpg

IMG_20130329_125100.jpg

Crossflow radiator is out in the garage still, didn't unpack that yet, will unpack in the morning when i start the install for it.

Oh my! it reminds of a weekend build i did a few yrs back...you must be so excited! i'm gitty for you!! we want a cool build thread mike!

haha...what i meant is unlike me, post some great pics with all your "great" comments about the build! my build thread was way weak...you're doing a great job!! ;)

(lol)

Na, I'm taking my time on all the big stuff. Not installing too much all at once, etc... This Hydra install is taking all day for a few plugs and a sensor swap. Lots of breaks to read through stuff, lots of double and triple checking stuff, plenty of interruptions from the puppy wanting to sit in my lap.... you know how it goes :)

FM's instruction book for that kit is pretty nice. The one part that was a little un-nerving at first, but greatly welcomed when the time came was notching the frame to fit the turbo. I must have swung the BFH as hard as I could out of frustration 8 times. But... turbo fits fine!

Hydra install:
I decided to install the injectors and the O2 sensor before the rest of the Hydra, as I was unsure if

Yesterday I installed the 700cc injectors. I don't have any pics of the install itself as my hands were too dirty to use my tablet camera.
IMG_20130330_112808.jpg

Then on to the O2 sensor. I spent a bit of time hunting for where the front O2 plug is, and finally found it tucked away on the OEM manifold. Took about 5 minutes of figuring out the right combination of tools to get the leverage needed on it, and it broke free and popped out without much fuss. Installing the WBO2 took much longer as I was having trouble getting the threads to engage. (If you are asking yourself if something is wrong here, just keep reading) I got it installed:
IMG_20130330_143925.sized.jpg

Next I moved to the top of the install instructions for the Hydra itself.

Running the adapter cable itself was a pain, lots of delays and frustration, as the prior owner ran the added electronic wiring through the only available passage from driver's side to passenger's side, so lots of obstructions:
IMG_20130330_165734.sized.jpg

I got it though:
IMG_20130330_165638.sized.jpg

IMG_20130330_165657.sized.jpg

Through the work, my car-mounted tablet stand was very handy, having access to the instruction PDF as well as forums and searches, etc...
IMAG0605.sized.jpg

Lots of stuff to pull out of the way behind the glove box, as the prior owner mounted the FM transmitter there, along with other wiring. But, the money shot?
IMAG0608.sized.jpg

I had about 4 feet of vacuum line from the FM O2 signal modifier that I had just coiled up and zip tied out of the way, so I removed the FM O2 mod, uncoiled that line, and passed it through to the Hydra. Already T'd into the boost gauge vacuum line. without leaks.

I ran the WBO2 wiring for the Hydra through the same firewall hole that I had used for the O2 mod:
IMAG0612.sized.jpg

IMAG0610.sized.jpg

It was shortly after this that I took a break for dinner, and SMR pointed out something I missed:
If you have a FM turbo kit there will be an extra bung for the WBO2 already in place in
the downpipe just before the catalytic converter. If you have something else, you will need to
weld in a bung- we have them available. Make sure the sensor is as perpendicular as possible
so that condensation does not pool in the sensor tip. Also, the WB needs to be after the turbo
(or after the collector on non-turbo cars) and still in front of the catalytic converter.

So this ground me to a halt. I have the FM2 downpipe which will give the O2 a proper location, but that will require installing the FM2, and I'm simply not ready for that. Not enough time before my track event to make sure there are no remaining bugs.

My options are:
1 Run with the narrow band, and just make sure it's pegged full rich on it's scale. (theoretically safe)
2 Same as above, but lock out closed loop, run open loop only (costly in gas, theoretically safe)
3 Pull the downpipe and get a bung welded in for a few weeks (annoying)
4 Re-install the OEM injectors and swap back to the OEM ECU until I do the FM2 install (really not looking forward to that)

I'm thinking #3 is the right choice.

Will be talking with FM on Monday when they open, and my tuner on Tuesday when they open, to discuss the options and recommendations. Pretty sure they will both tell me #3.

I'm not resisting the "right option", just want to make sure it really is the right option.

Today I'm going to continue with the Hydra install, including wiring the WBO2 into the Hydra, just leaving the sensor off the car and unplugged, so I can just plug it in when the time comes. Shouldn't take more than an hour of work left before I can apply power to the Hydra and start going through the pre-start list in the instructions.

Will update later today.

...and I successfully snagged a FM stage 2 fan pack from another member here, so will be doing the crossflow install next weekend.

Last edited:
Informed by SMR on Mazda-speed.com that the FM downpipe that I have has an O2 bung in it already. Apparently FM only makes a reference to this in the installation instructions for that downpipe, which I had not looked at. I pulled the bracing, and sure enough, a bung is there on top. I am unsure how it is plugged at the moment, as I can feel a void on the top center of the plug. I am worried that it's a hex keyed plug, as that could be seriously troublesome to get out. A bolt-like plug would be superior, with more surface to grip with a large wrench. I have a various array of hex keys, but none are really all that strong. Seized threads on exhaust is probably stronger than anything I have.

PB blasted the downpipe bolts and giving it a bit before I remove it.

Downpipe removed, O2 sensors moved around as needed, everything re-installed, Hydra finalized and fired it up.

HORRIBLE sounding, hugge vacuum leak, unstable firing order, unstable idle, etc...

I shut it off, do some diagnosis to find that #3 fuel injector wasn't seated in the port, the base ring had popped off. It also wasn't firing, which was good because it meant I wasn't hosing the side of the engine with fuel. Taking the wife's 2 to work tomorrow and will get back at it tomorrow night.

mike you talking about the rubber o rings? make sure you rub a little oil on them with your finger too!

Back