i actually like P5 stock radio unit - am i crazy??

mesoup

:
M3 Hatch, 350z, AE92 GTS
As title sugguested.... not so much for its performance, but for it's ample amount of matching (orange) light. I picked up an Alpine cda 9856 couple days ago, planning to install it into my P5. But now i am holding back the lights doesn't match with the factory orange night light.... so my question is. does anyone know of a legit after market head unit that has orange lights???

Im the same way, I changed all the interior speakers and added a sub via adapter and im somewhat satisfied with the sound. Of course it could use more umph but it does the job and looks a hell of a lot better than an aftermarket unit. I haven't come across one yet that has the same look that Im goin for...the only function that I miss having is the mp3 compatibility...

I put the kenwood 919 (from the MSP) in my p5.. and i really enjoy it! i can either make the buttons light up green or red.. matching the dashboard gauges isn't so important to me.. :)

yeah i kept my stock head unit because i didn't want to be a target and i like the 6disc indash.

gimpo2 said:
yeah i kept my stock head unit because i didn't want to be a target and i like the 6disc indash.

yet another reason I kept the stock unit, I had my EK hatch stripped like a 2 dollar ***** and it wasn't a fun experience. Living in LA ftl.

cda-9856 is the sex. im gonna get one for my p5. i like the fact i can plug my ipod into it
ill be gettin tinted up too, and be carryin around my faceplate (plus i have insurance on my stereo equipment) but hopefully i dont get broken into anyways. but im never in bad areas, so im not too worried.

I have this Pioneer, and the lights match just perfect on mine.

Attachments

• Pioneer.jpg
    Pioneer.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 213
"I have this Pioneer, and the lights match just perfect on mine."

if you think turquoise matches with orange.... i had that on my corolla... someone stolen it :( i think cda 9856 is better

The Alpine CA-9856 and 9857 (better display) are craaaaaaaaaaaap compared to my 2002-model Alpine.. oh how the mighty have fallen. On my 2002 model, you can switch the lighting from green to amber.. the amber comes close to the stock red/orange, but it's a bit brighter.

of course it doesn't look at all like it matches in this pic, but the alpine orange isn't so yellowy like the pic makes it seem: http://picasaweb.google.com/clauretano/TurboProject/photo#5008245778539382418

gimpo2 said:
hahaha i was joking dude. i think its like 10 watts or 5 watts per speaker.

see s***

if you're right about this, the unit must be wayyy underrated. I think it's pretty loud, in terms of treble and mids..

i think hes referrin to the red lights in the buttons
fast pro, that radio is badass, sold quite a few of them at the stereo shop i work at.

I miss my matching lights also. But the better sound quality of the alpine headunit more than makes up for it.

Kansei said:
The Alpine CA-9856 and 9857 (better display) are craaaaaaaaaaaap compared to my 2002-model Alpine.. oh how the mighty have fallen. On my 2002 model, you can switch the lighting from green to amber.. the amber comes close to the stock red/orange, but it's a bit brighter.

of course it doesn't look at all like it matches in this pic, but the alpine orange isn't so yellowy like the pic makes it seem: http://picasaweb.google.com/clauretano/TurboProject/photo#5008245778539382418

lol i too have a 2002 alpine it's cd 7892. I haven't installed the 9856 so i can't say which is better. but the 7892 is soooo much heavier than the 9856, and to my surprise 9856's faceplate is not motorized as my 7892.

mesoup said:
lol i too have a 2002 alpine it's cd 7892. I haven't installed the 9856 so i can't say which is better. but the 7892 is soooo much heavier than the 9856, and to my surprise 9856's faceplate is not motorized as my 7892.
forgot about that too. I bought a 9857 (currently their top non-dvd model, $400) to replace my 7894 (2002 top non-dvd model, $550 back then).. and returned it within a day. Navigating my iPod was god awful, you couldn't change the button colors, the buttons felt like crap, and the display was no longer motorized and removing/replacing the head unit was a much more complicated process. A big step down, I really don't know what they were thinking. Why are you getting rid of the 7892?

The 9857 barely has programmable EQ functions, no LPF/HPF, etc. Plus it wasn't any more powerful than the 7894.

My roommates 2004 model alpine seems like the peak.. still motorized, 256 different colors to choose for the buttons, and has iPersonalize, where you set up your eq stuff on your computer, burn it to a cd, and load it into the radio. That way when you disconnect the battery for whatever reason you don't have to lose all your settings.

Back