Hyundai Equus

Kymerik

:
2003.5 Mazda Protege5
Hyundai has released a somewhat cartoonish sketch of its upcoming long-wheelbase flagship Equus-replacing super-luxury sedan for its domestic market. The Equus, which clearly draws inspiration from the Genesis sedan sold in North America, is expected to go on sale in Korea by the end of February.

It’s unclear if the car will be marketed as a distinct model from the Genesis/i50 or if it will be sold as a LWB (long-wheel-base) variant. Sources are still referring to this luxury sedan as the i70 — and sometimes as the i90 — but the name is not yet confirmed. Either way, the sedan will replace the current Equus, a squared-off sedan that has been on the market since the late 1990s.

However, we do know that it will be offered as a V8 model only and will be even more prestigious than the new Genesis. According to Hyundai-Blog, the new sedan will be powered by a 5.0L V8 — rated between 400 and 420 horsepower — although two supercharged V8s, displacing 5.5L and 4.6L, are said to be in the works.

As Hyundai is using Cadillac, BMW and Lexus as benchmarks, expect an iDrive-type system, as well as many other luxury amenities. The new flagship will feature Hyundai’s first application of LED headlamps.

The new model is a whopping eight inches longer than the Genesis, according to Hyundai research and development boss Dr. Hyun-Soon Lee, who confirmed that the large sedan will replace the Equus JS 380 — and best it in length by around two inches.

Dr. Lee also said Hyundai has no plans for body styles other than sedans and coupes for the Genesis platform — that means no crossover or station wagon, as speculated by some.

equus-1.jpg

equus-2.jpg

Last edited:
if it actually looks like that.....hell i would buy one.....that don't look half bad

hyundai is really stepping up their game....as long as the quality is all there id take it over a 7 series. if the rims came out with that offset, it'll be on my list of cars to drive....

hyundai is really stepping up their game....as long as the quality is all there id take it over a 7 series. if the rims came out with that offset, it'll be on my list of cars to drive....

i agree very much, especially with the 7 series topping the 100g mark, if hyundai can do that same thing for half that price, they'll have a major winner

From what I hear from my fellow autobody friends, the new Hyundai models are built to some very high standards these days.

I wonder if there's anything Hyundai can do to make it look more like an LS460? Remove the character lines on the fenders, shrink the wheels, and ta-daaa...LS460. I thought the Genesis was a copycat, but this is even worse.

Don't get me wrong....it's gorgeous, but wow - the similarities are too numerous.

Wow.. I can't wait to see that car in the flesh.. That is one fine looking vehicle.

Back