Hypertech Max Energy Sport CAI Update Now Available!

Shouldn't the ECU eventually learn this and correct the LT settings to account for it? In other words, shouldn't this be a short term thing after the initial install that will eventually "self tune" and go away?
What was it doing after a couple of weeks of daily driving?

Yes, the ECU will correct this. The knock retard system is very aggressive to keep the engine safe by absolutely stopping the engine knock. We do not adjust or diminish the control of the knock control system, and by maintaining an accurate engine model in the PCM, these control systems remain accurate and precise just like they are from the factory. Not all aftermarket tunes available for these cars retain this level of accuracy.

Do you have any pulls with just an intake? There are many of us with that as the only power mod, as it has long been believed that a catback exhaust on this car was only good for changing the sound, or at least gained so little power that it wasn't worth the expense.

I don't have anything put together that I can show, so I'll try to summarize. The aftermarket air intake helps eliminate the pre-turbo air intake restriction. The higher the horsepower and RPM, the more helpful this is. The turbo can make about 1psi more boost by eliminating the air restriction, and this makes substantial power in the higher RPMs.

The aftermarket exhaust helps eliminate the post-turbo (and cat) exhaust restriction. This is helpful all the time, but isn't as critical/beneficial as an air intake restriction. The cat-back exhaust does helps spool-up, so that will increase lower RPM torque because the boost comes on sooner. There are some minor gains in higher RPM too because the cat-back exhaust pressure drops from about 6psi to 2psi or so.

So, to generalize, the higher RPM gain would be a 70/30 split (70% of the gain from the intake, and 30% from the exhaust). The lower RPM gains would be from a 30/70 split (30% of the gain from the intake, and 70% from the exhaust).

I hope this helps.

are you at all concerned about the mountain of torque that slams in at low rpm? many people are speculating this is the reason for snapping rods. I deliberately had my tq dropped down low to help prevent this.

I'm sure there's some gains with CBE, with mine I got +300whp without DP, only TP+CBE, Intake, TMIC and custom tune.
That's why I'd like to know if Hypertech has done some EGT tests with and without CBE?

Here is a link to a charg showing EGT stock vs. tuned with stock exhaust. EGTs.jpg

I don't have a back to back, same day dyno run to compare the EGT's with the cat back, but they are less with the cat back. Exhaust pressure drops 2-4psi after the cat. See Exhaust_help.jpg.

are you at all concerned about the mountain of torque that slams in at low rpm? many people are speculating this is the reason for snapping rods. I deliberately had my tq dropped down low to help prevent this.

Yes, we are always concerned about the effects of our tuning on engine components. Our car saw over 1100 full throttle dyno pulls, and over 8000 miles of testing; hard testing miles. It's not a daily driver. The car has over 12,000 miles on it today, with zero problems.

Yes, we are always concerned about the effects of our tuning on engine components. Our car saw over 1100 full throttle dyno pulls, and over 8000 miles of testing; hard testing miles. It's not a daily driver. The car has over 12,000 miles on it today, with zero problems.

does your tune drop tq down low? at one point i was hovering at 350wtq at 2900rpm. so i dropped load values below 3k.

So, to generalize, the higher RPM gain would be a 70/30 split (70% of the gain from the intake, and 30% from the exhaust). The lower RPM gains would be from a 30/70 split (30% of the gain from the intake, and 70% from the exhaust).

Okay, so from this we learn that if you want a nice bump in overall power but are afraid of bending a rod with too much low end torque, upgrade your intake and leave the exhaust alone.

Okay, so from this we learn that if you want a nice bump in overall power but are afraid of bending a rod with too much low end torque, upgrade your intake and leave the exhaust alone.

not too sure about that, i dont have an exhaust and i saw huge tq numbers without spiking, just hit 18psi at 2500rpm. i think the tune is what has to limit the low end. modding allows you to spread the powerband out, but the tunes gotta cut it short where necessary on the bottom end. just my .02

not too sure about that, i dont have an exhaust and i saw huge tq numbers without spiking, just hit 18psi at 2500rpm. i think the tune is what has to limit the low end. modding allows you to spread the powerband out, but the tunes gotta cut it short where necessary on the bottom end. just my .02

I should have been clearer. I wasn't trying to say that my example was all it would take. I was trying to point out one direction not to go if you were concerned.

I just received and installed a tune with mine. I used the update tool to update the tuner to the latest rev from the PC. Updated quickly. I then went out an uploaded the program to the car. I used the Corksport SRI CAI setting becuase I think it is the closest to my Cobb SRI/PG TIP combo. I turned off the factory 0-60 WOT softening, and upped the top speed to 186 MPH (not like I am ever going to see more than 120 in my life).

Getting ready to take her for a drive and see how she does. Will report back later.

I just received and installed a tune with mine. I used the update tool to update the tuner to the latest rev from the PC. Updated quickly. I then went out an uploaded the program to the car. I used the Corksport SRI CAI setting becuase I think it is the closest to my Cobb SRI/PG TIP combo. I turned off the factory 0-60 WOT softening, and upped the top speed to 186 MPH (not like I am ever going to see more than 120 in my life).

Getting ready to take her for a drive and see how she does. Will report back later.

0-60 WOT softening, does that mean the limited boost in 1st & 2nd?

I turned off the factory 0-60 WOT softening.

When I see this, I keep thinking of my old turbo Sunbird. It had a nanny that kept it from building boost below 3000 rpm, with no concern for mph. I think this would be a good option if it was easy to implement. The ultimate low end protector, plus it would probably help save on gas when just tooling around. Being tied to rpm, it wouldn't matter what speed you were going, when you stomped on the pedal, you would have power.

0-60 WOT softening, does that mean the limited boost in 1st & 2nd?

From Hypertech website: Selectable 0-60MPH Electronic Throttle Restriction (Factory, or Removed)

Chris expalined in one of these threads what it means and probably did a better job than me. Since the MS3 has a fly by wire throttle, the ECU softens it when you slam down to WOT. Kind of a buffer to help reduce wheelspin and enhance smoothness below 60. They give you the option to turn it off. I don't think it is the boost limit thing. I will defer to Chris to clarify.

Had a quick drive, but traffic in the area is all fouled up right now, so no WOT blasts. It does feel better at part throttle though. More later.

Hell yes

Took it out for an extended drive this evening. This is a completely different car than what it was two weeks ago.

Before last week, the only power mods I had were the Cobb SRI and Forge BPV. Last week I installed the PG turbo inlet pipe and Speedaction (ebay) test pipe. Today, I did the Hypertech programmer on top of that.

This thing has much improved throttle response and feels tougher just slow cruising through the neighborhood. Part throttle pulls much hard. Has picked up a lot in the low end and midrange. WOT really rips and pulls all the way to the top. I used to shift before 5800 because it was all done, now it is still pulling when I shift at 6500. Took it on some winding hilly back roads and it was a pure delight.

I used to say that my MS3 was a quick car, but my Cobra was the fast car. I have to re-evaluate now. I am not saying that it is going to beat the cobra, but it is going to stomp on some mustang GT's.

Took it out for an extended drive this evening. This is a completely different car than what it was two weeks ago.

Before last week, the only power mods I had were the Cobb SRI and Forge BPV. Last week I installed the PG turbo inlet pipe and Speedaction (ebay) test pipe. Today, I did the Hypertech programmer on top of that.

This thing has much improved throttle response and feels tougher just slow cruising through the neighborhood. Part throttle pulls much hard. Has picked up a lot in the low end and midrange. WOT really rips and pulls all the way to the top. I used to shift before 5800 because it was all done, now it is still pulling when I shift at 6500. Took it on some winding hilly back roads and it was a pure delight.

I used to say that my MS3 was a quick car, but my Cobra was the fast car. I have to re-evaluate now. I am not saying that it is going to beat the cobra, but it is going to stomp on some mustang GT's.
Based on this info, I may have to rethink one of my planned mods.(spin)

i do have a question then about the egt;s you were seeing and your thoughts where you said 1500 degrees at 250 hp vs 1500 degrees at cruise with 50 hp. lets say you went on a 20 miles highway run at cruise and your did in fact react 1500 egt's. there would have to be a "cooldown period" after you leave the highway for the egt's and combustion chambers to cool down before going WOT in fear of ruining the turbo shaft correct? i mean, if 1500 at WOT could ruin the turbo shaft what type of abuse could these turbos take after a highway drive? probably not much...for a while anyway...

Nice write up. I have the same mods as you, - Hypertech( was looking for a price but PM was not returned?). I also have a DP instead of the testpipe. How much was yours and did you get it?

Nice write up. I have the same mods as you, - Hypertech( was looking for a price but PM was not returned?). I also have a DP instead of the testpipe. How much was yours and did you get it?

I got mine from Autoanything.com with a 10% discount code and free overnight shipping for a total of $405.

Back