Howto: Rear Pad (disc) Replacement

this is on a 2002 protege es with rear disk brakes. the allen key in the back of the caliper is turning but is not retracting. if we turn it clockwise the piston will come out further, but turning it counter clock wise it stops about a cm. shorter than it needs to be. the allen bolt still turns but the piston wont retract any more. any ideas?

Make sure the allen bolt isn't falling out. You can actually pull the thing out, it's just a gear thing. Push in on the allen bolt to make sure it is engaging.

Edit: WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D (first)(first)(first)

thanks for the welcome. this is actually my cousins car. im a nissan guy myself.

anyways, the allen bolt comes out and now there is brake fluid seeping out of that hole. the allen bolt spins freely and does nothing. i tried pushing in and turing but that hasnt done anything. could the gear inside have stripped out? will it need a new caliper?

If it has stripped I think it would need a new caliper.

.. soo what kind of car do you drive?

Wait when you pull the allen bolt out, the gear on that bolt isn't stripped is it?

i have a 90 240sx and a 94 altima.

we ended up gettin new calipers for it and are in the proces of puttin em on right now. the right side wouldnt budge at all, probly rusted pretty bad. the car has almost 100k on it and they were original.

Help!

I hate for this to be my first post, but I stumbled on this thread while having difficulties installing my rear brake pads. I do however promise to contribute anything that helps my cause back to this thread :)

I tried changing out my rear brake pads on my 2002 P5 today, but I'm having a tough time figuring out why the new pads don't leave enough room for the the caliper to slide back onto the rotor. Here's are two pictures..

This shot of the rear passenger side caliper shows how the outer pad sits too far out. It doesn't look nearly as flush as the picture on the first page of this how to after the pads were installed.

rear_pad_install1.jpg

It's almost as if I need to somehow move the outer part of the caliper (the part the outer pad sits against) further out. I know that it should be completely controlled by the piston/allen key, but it feels like there needs to be some adjustment here. Is that possible?

rear_pad_install2.jpg

I really want to get through this without having to slap back the old worn out pads and drive it to the local dealership. So any and all help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

And yes, I know, I *really* need to clean it all out. Canadian winters have been unkind to the 'lil p5.

sys49152 said:
Help!

I hate for this to be my first post, but I stumbled on this thread while having difficulties installing my rear brake pads. I do however promise to contribute anything that helps my cause back to this thread :)

I tried changing out my rear brake pads on my 2002 P5 today, but I'm having a tough time figuring out why the new pads don't leave enough room for the the caliper to slide back onto the rotor. Here's are two pictures..

This shot of the rear passenger side caliper shows how the outer pad sits too far out. It doesn't look nearly as flush as the picture on the first page of this how to after the pads were installed.

It's almost as if I need to somehow move the outer part of the caliper (the part the outer pad sits against) further out. I know that it should be completely controlled by the piston/allen key, but it feels like there needs to be some adjustment here. Is that possible?

I really want to get through this without having to slap back the old worn out pads and drive it to the local dealership. So any and all help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

And yes, I know, I *really* need to clean it all out. Canadian winters have been unkind to the 'lil p5.

I'm having the exact same problem. My trouble is with the drivers side rear. I was able to replace the passenger side pads and rotor. On the passenger side the carrier came right off the caliper with little effort and was easy to move back and forth. The driver's side however won't budge. The piston is fully compressed. Just like sys49152 it seems that the caliper needs to go further out towards the carrier, the carrier and caliper don't move though.

Heres a little tip for removing the rotors. Use the t-shaped screw that holds down your factory jack, and screw it into the hole on your rotor. The rotor will pop right off. I don't know how we'll(it's my gf's ES) remove the rotors we're replacing them with though, no holes. :)

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums both of you guys! I really wish I could be of help, but I didn't come across that when I did my pads/rotors.

How much do you need to be able to move the outer pad to get the rotor in? are we talking 1mm or like a full centimeter?

Kansei said:
Welcome to the forums both of you guys!

Thanks!

Kansei said:
How much do you need to be able to move the outer pad to get the rotor in? are we talking 1mm or like a full centimeter?

Nearly a full centimeter. I actually broke down and put it back together with all the old parts. I'm going to take it to a local shop, beg them to tell me how they manage to get the pads/rotor back in, and hopefully post any helpful info back to this thread. I'm guessing it's highly unlikely that they'll tell me much, but it's worth a shot.

you're sure the piston is retracted all the way... and that the rotor is all the way on? There could be some rust/debris on the wheel hub preventing the rotor from going on all the way, though I can't see that causing it to stick out a full centimeter.

Kansei said:
you're sure the piston is retracted all the way... and that the rotor is all the way on? There could be some rust/debris on the wheel hub preventing the rotor from going on all the way, though I can't see that causing it to stick out a full centimeter.

I actually tried to push the rotor into the caliper after installing the pads but prior to mounting it back on, just to see how short I was on space. Even then, there was no way at all that it would fit. Not even close.. probably by at least half a centimeter.

I'm hoping I can get it fixed tomorrow and find out exactly what happened. I'm changing my rear pads twice as fast as the front, so I'm hoping that the TBS for the p5 rear caliper applies to me. I'll talk to my local dealership.

So as I promised, I'm posting back to the thread..

I took it into the local shop with the parts I bought, and asked the mechanic to let me know why there just isn't enough space for the rotor to fit after installing the pads even with the piston retracted all the way back. He said that the caliper (both sides) was seized. I mentioned that I had no problems retracting the piston but that there just wasn't enough space even with the caliber removed. He said it was seized so that it couldn't slide back/forth even though the piston would retract. It sounds like (using my previous picture as a reference) he somehow managed to slightly pry apart the parts holding the inner and outer pads?! I didn't think that was possible.

Anyhow, if I get a chance to pull the wheel off this week and really figure out what's going on, I'll try to post again with some *after installation* pics.

sys49152 said:
So as I promised, I'm posting back to the thread..

I took it into the local shop with the parts I bought, and asked the mechanic to let me know why there just isn't enough space for the rotor to fit after installing the pads even with the piston retracted all the way back. He said that the caliper (both sides) was seized. I mentioned that I had no problems retracting the piston but that there just wasn't enough space even with the caliber removed. He said it was seized so that it couldn't slide back/forth even though the piston would retract. It sounds like (using my previous picture as a reference) he somehow managed to slightly pry apart the parts holding the inner and outer pads?! I didn't think that was possible.

Anyhow, if I get a chance to pull the wheel off this week and really figure out what's going on, I'll try to post again with some *after installation* pics.

Our guide pins have seized too. Well one of them anyways. Here are some pics of the rusted mofo:

guide%20pin1.jpg

guide%20pin2.jpg

Gude%20Pin3.jpg

The semi-loaded caliper was finally ordered from NAPA last week.
While researching the problem I found a few threads where people were having this exact problem. In one a TSB was mentioned but I couldn't find any info on it. Anyone know if there was one?

Thank you for the writeup! I just finished my rear brakes and it was a piece of cake! That is, after finding out that there is a mistry bolt you have to take out to pull the piston back in... "So that's why the c-clamp wasn't working..." Thanks again!

Back