How tunable is the Mazda RX-8?

DaRkCotTon

:
Mazda 3i Touring 2.0L
This is to the Rx8 owners who have modded their car. Is this car tuner happy? And what have you done to it? I'm thinking of getting an Rx8 and I would definitely like to mod it out a little. The things I would buy if i were get an Rx8 would be coilovers or lowering springs, exhaust and maybe a turbo kit if i feel like I would need more power, but im focusing more on suspension and the way the car handles. I realize that the Rx8 more comfortable to drive than the Rx7 as a DD and the Rx7 is definitely seems to be the better "racer" but idk, theres something about the Rx8 that keeps me coming back. Btw, other cars im considering to get are Rx7 (FC or FD) 350z 240sx Evo 8 or 9 and a 3000gt VR4. If anyone can compare these cars that would be awesome too.

as far as suspension etc.. its a car.. it will handle it well
if u plan to boost an rx8 I have read that supercharging is the way to go.. but then again with a side port engien the gains will not be superstantial without alot of money..

IMO u can get way more power for less money out of an RX7.. and they handle even better then the 8's when the suspension has been freshined up.

the 350Z handles quite well and will kick the tires loose no problem.
3KGT-VR4 is a great car.. to much as far as electronics for the 90's but handles well (however very bulky) and also for the size is a bit lackluster in power

evo 8 and 9 is nice, handle good, decent power but they break all the time.

240sx.. drift car.. nough said

Unless your rockin big bucks stay away from the vr4 they are hard to work on money pits.

The 350z is good and has the power just not my cup of tea.

Rx8 is a great handling car a bit underpowered but from your description power isn't your main goal.

Rx7 another great car. Hard to find in mint condition and is going to take some money to freshen an old chassis

Evo 8/9 great car gotta be careful with the previous owner...9 would be a better bet as the ironed out a lot of kinks the 8 had. Excelent handling and makes power easy.

240sx is another great car and sorry dave but its not a drift car...people fail to realize the 240 has a great chassis to build from and has excelent capability in the handling department. However this too is a money pit as in stock form your starting with the most marshmellow, slowest car out of this group.

240sx is another great car and sorry dave but its not a drift car...people fail to realize the 240 has a great chassis to build from and has excelent capability in the handling department. However this too is a money pit as in stock form your starting with the most marshmellow, slowest car out of this group.

that was my point the 240 is just SLOW.. waste of time and needs WAY to much work/money to be anything spectacular.

Awesome, thanks for your input guys..and so quickly too. But, i was under the impression that the rotary engines don't have enough torque to make full use of the supercharger. I mean, in a rotary, all the power is in the top range correct? wouldn't be better to have a turbo that can spool up instead? and sorry if this seems noobish, but it just makes sense in my head. And how high can the 13B in the FD rev up to? Can you raise the RPM range with aftermarket parts? The 9000 redline the Rx8 has is too awesome IMO.

the supercharger builds boost at idle.. its all about gaining low end with the super charger..

the turbos are just not that reliable in the rx8 and VERY EXPENSIVE..
u can only safely raise the redline by porting.. you need OVERLAP to do it safetly..

the rx8 will NEVER have overlap since it is a side port engine.. so no way to raise the redline in an rx8

Aw man, decisions decisions (uhm)... I think I researched too much cuz i dont even know what i want anymore (dunno) lol

Hmm... there are plenty of people that drive turbo'd rx8's and many havent had issues for YEARS.... the greddy turbo kit (the cheapest one out there) can push almost 300whp out of the box... the big issue with them is the longevity of the turbo greddy uses. Superchargers are great also...

It really comes down to the tune, a properly tuned rx8 will be JUST as reliable as a factory one

lol ok how much money is the greddy kit and u are making LESS then 100 hp WOW

waste of money.. and btw NO boosted rotary with non turbo specs will ever be as reliable as the stock engine..

remember turbo rotary engines are built to different specs.. rotor differences, compression differences, side seal spec diffs etc

lol ok how much money is the greddy kit and u are making LESS then 100 hp WOW

waste of money.. and btw NO boosted rotary with non turbo specs will ever be as reliable as the stock engine..

remember turbo rotary engines are built to different specs.. rotor differences, compression differences, side seal spec diffs etc

were do you get less than 100 hp?? the rx8 only has 180-190whp stock....

well I'm not going on exact figured but if the turbo kit puts them to like 250-275 hp then thats less then or at 100 hp difference.. and the kit is what 5K or so

293whp is the average seen with dynos

and yes, the kit is about 5k... but a supercharger kit is also 6k, some 8-9k

Edit: here is a chart made by an rx8 owner comparing various dynos

rx8club_hp.jpg

Last edited:
I know somone who said a SC kit was only like 3K and the turbo kit is like 2k more.

for 5 k u can do alot more to get power out of the rx8 hell engine swap for less then 5k

plain and simple.. the rx8 was not built for speed.. and that renises engien will never be fast without LOADS of cash..

its an emissions engine..

plain and simple.. the rx8 was not built for speed.. and that renises engien will never be fast without LOADS of cash..

its an emissions engine..

i never called the rx8 fast... if you want a fast accelerating car get a domestic... the OP was asking about how tunable the rx8 was... i answered

right any good tuner can tune a rotary wether its turbo or supercharged.. however it will NEVER make the lenght of a stock engine.. tolerences will always win once u boost a non turbo car. hell piston or rotary.

ok, so i exaggerated when i said 'as reliable as stock' but a properly tuned car (NA or FI, piston or rotary) can still be pretty damn reliable...

true deff can be reliable.. just make sure u find a guy who HAS TUNED an rx8 with your setup first..

rotary tuners are out there but can be pricey

Back