How-To: VTCS Removal and Porting

Fully open, as in as far as it CAN be open, then. =) But most definitly, it is worth removing. Otherwise I wouldn't have written this how-to. ;)

flat_black said:
Fully open, as in as far as it CAN be open, then. =) But most definitly, it is worth removing. Otherwise I wouldn't have written this how-to. ;)

hehe flat_black! YOU'RE the man! This is definetly one of my priorities within next few months (thumb)

I get it. So it doesn't open all the way. It's still at an angle. Sounds like I am going to have to do this mod next.

well, it open all the way, but that all the way is not full 90 degrees from the original shut position (thumb)

flat_black said:
Hey, folks. I was going to originally post this in N/A Tech, but this benefits both forced induction folks as well as the N/A crowd. Rather than crowd a thread with this information, I wrote it into a website, and you can take a peek at it there:

http://flatblack.somethingsomething.org/p5/porting/

Tell me what you all think!

I have a suggestion for the write-up: Change the links from dark blue to something lighter, like green or even a lighter blue... you're killing my eyes!

Otherwise, nice job, and thanks for taking the time to write it up!

Hehee. I was trying to make a decision on a colour scheme, but I got lazy somewhere, and stoped messing with it. Maybe I'll change the page colors entirely.

Hey, I separated my IM a couple times. I couldn't find the torque specs for the bolts that hold the two halves together. I tightened it a bunch once, and I think I flattened that metal gasket a bit. I'm wondering if it needs replacing. It sucks beause I just spent a day putting in new papers gaskets between the head and IM. I'd rather not replace another gasket and find out that's not the problem either.

I have had a really bad idle for god only knows how long now. Is there any way to pinpoint vacuum leaks? I tried it with spraying carb cleaner all around, but that didn't seem to work.

Yeah, that's usually what I suggest is spraying carb cleaner around all the possible places; Injectors, intake manifold mating points, throttle body, and so on. With the car running of course, so you can hear any burps in idle.

flat_black, I put this together for myself to make it easier for me when I go to actually do this mod. I thought I'd attach it here and maybe you can put on your site if you like. I hope you don't mind.

Attachments

• VTCS Removal and Porting.pdf
    927.5 KB · Views: 4,437
Last edited:
Protege_Speed said:
flat_black, I put this together for myself to make it easier for me when I go to actually do this mod. I thought I'd attach it here and maybe you can put on your site if you like. I hope you don't mind.

excellent, I was thinking of doing something similar so I wouldn't have to bring my laptop with me to work on it.

good job!!!

Oh, very nice. =) Thank you, Protege Speed! Consider it stolen and posted, with a to-be-linked-to page. I'll make sure to give you credit. =)

Thanks but you don't have to. We're all here to help each other out.
(drinks)
flat_black said:
Oh, very nice. =) Thank you, Protege Speed! Consider it stolen and posted, with a to-be-linked-to page. I'll make sure to give you credit. =)

What about just removing the screws/butterflies and leave the actuator hooked up so no plugging necessary? Air flow should be improved & no annoying screws to fall into engine.

i12drivemyMP5 said:
What about just removing the screws/butterflies and leave the actuator hooked up so no plugging necessary? Air flow should be improved & no annoying screws to fall into engine.

After removing the screws/butterflies, there is nothing that holds the shaft in place. So pull it out, grab a 1/8" npt tap and plug and you're done.

I just removed the VTCS. It's really not that hard thanks to the great writeup posted in this thread. It's a pain getting the IM out of the car with all the hoses in the back of the engine bay, but that's the worst part.

I portmatched using a template I put on the head. That way I didn't overport or underport. That took a lot of time because I have to wait for the air compressor to recharge.

The result, sounds better, accellerates a bit faster. I never did before/after accelleration runs, but I should have. I really like the throaty sound from 4000 to redline. There is a noticable (yet small) increase in power. The FS-DE still needs cams, but I'm sure that portmatched IM, header, and no VTCS will help when I do get cams (1 more year on warranty).

Just to let everyone know, I used quicksteel on all the holes. I cut off the bar the butterflies were on at the end, pushed it into the quicksteel and rotated it a bit. It looks like nothing ever happened. The rubber seal around the butterfly support bar was good enough before, should be better now. It wouldn't be easy, but I could thread the hole if I run into problems down the road.

I love the way my Protege sounds, now. =) So evil. I'm glad everything worked out for you!

And I concur, regarding the crazy hoses everywhere. Hehe.

iluvmacs said:
I portmatched using a template I put on the head. That way I didn't overport or underport. That took a lot of time because I have to wait for the air compressor to recharge.

Where did you find the template? What kind of air tool did you use?

iluvmacs said:
TB coolant loop mod

Do what now? I Googled this and all I saw were Impreza instructions... same thing?

Last edited:
Question:
Why not just cut the VTCS actuator link flush with the inside of the head? Then just re-install the actuator. It would turn - but not protrude into the air stream...

Just quicker/easier than tapping a new bolt...

Back