How to train your Mazdaspeed3 (dragon)

nightfury

:
2012 Mazdaspeed 3 Black Mica Tech Pkg
Just bought a 12' ms3 tech pkg for $25.5 in California about a week ago. I'm pretty excited about it...you know that feeling when you wake up and the first thing you think about is going into your garage/driveway/parking spot just to look at your car? yeah, that type of excitement...

So I buy the car and my two kids mention that the car looks very similar to the dragon from "How to train a Dragon." If you've ever seen it you'd understand. Awesome movie imo. Anyhow, thats how the name of my car came about, Nightfury....kinda works. My kids and I prefer toothless because that was the specific name of the dragon in the movie. Nightfury was the type of dragon he was (now, I'm just rambling)

To date, I've done a 20r/50f tint and professionally PC'd my stock rims. This weekend I am installing a set of road magnets 1.25 in the fronts and 1.50 in the rears. I didn't want to go coilovers because I was afraid of voiding my warranty. Other than that, I don't really plan on doing any mods on the engine quite yet. I want to enjoy the car for what it is for now. As you can see, everything I've done were for asthetics.

Congrats and welcome to the party. I know exactly the feeling you explained. I've had my ms3 for a year and I still get excited walking up to it and driving. Best of luck with everything.

Welcome. I have only had my "Dragon" since March and I have done a bit of modding to it. The car is fun yet terrifying to drive at the same time.

I would avoid lowering springs on stock struts because you typically comprimise your ride/handling because you have lowered your available suspension travel and you are adding a lot of stress to your suspension components. I would get aftermarket struts Like Konis or Bilsteins to fix that issue if you are intent on not getting coilovers.

As far as necessary mods go here is the order in which you should follow:

Stiffer Rear motor mount
Intake & TIP
Cobb AP
Fuel Pump Internals
Downpipe and or Testpipe/2nd Cat Delete
Proper ECU tune.

Good luck with your modding.

I know exactly what you are feeling as well. I have had my car less than a month and already have a Rear MM, AutoTech HFFP internals, Cobb AP, Cobb Sri+Tip. Don't even have my new plates in yet. I also have the tech package, and find myself sitting in the car still inputting phone numbers into the log. Everything about the car is awesome. And like you, I find myself walking outside, just to look at it, as if its still a dream. Congrats on the new ride. Of all the Mods you could do, if your not looking to do anything but enjoy stock, replace the Rear MM...You'll notice a really nice improvement in the way it drives. (if you have the right jack then replacing the Rear MM is a snap, once on jack stands, it only took me 12 mins to replace it) Have fun.

Back