How To - Timing The Motor

had my valve cover off and was looking at my cam gears and wanted to know if my timing is correct. i didnt have my camera but i drew this up from what i saw. does this look correct?

Attachments

• timing.JPG
    timing.JPG
    7.5 KB · Views: 162
We have been discussing that the UDP from Unorthodox sometimes has the timing wheel (Small Teeth) in the incorrect position.

Are you having timing issues now?

We have been discussing that the UDP from Unorthodox sometimes has the timing wheel (Small Teeth) in the incorrect position.

Are you having timing issues now?

how would i know? if it is something obvious, i guess not.

i dont even see what the teeth did. there isnt anything on them is there?

The Crank position sensor reads them with a strong magnet.

One tooth is missing. That gap is what the ECU is looking for to tell it that the engine is about to make a new full rotation. It calibrates the ignition based off that sensor. If the teeth are not in the correct place, the info is bad, the ECU makes a bad calculation, your car runs like ass.

VOTE4ROTM

The Crank position sensor reads them with a strong magnet.

One tooth is missing. That gap is what the ECU is looking for to tell it that the engine is about to make a new full rotation. It calibrates the ignition based off that sensor. If the teeth are not in the correct place, the info is bad, the ECU makes a bad calculation, your car runs like ass.

VOTE4ROTM

got ya. i noticed the gap. i am still gettin like 28 mpg so i guess that means i dont have an issue? :)

got ya. i noticed the gap. i am still gettin like 28 mpg so i guess that means i dont have an issue? :)

Well, if the car behaves normally, then it's likely fine.

If it was off, you would not be wondering if it was, you would simply know it.

thank GOD for this lol. I changed my timing belt without "Moving" anything but the timing is definetly off a tooth. without this I would be ******. Thanks a lot everyone!

Without a doubt, changing the timing belt with the engine still in the car is THE longest most tedious thing you can do to a car.

Back