How to tell Blown Turbo

brennan

Hey guys, I'm just wondering what to look for if you have a blown turbo, I think my turbo might be shot but I'm confused as to why I still have lots of boost, There is just a loud Shreeking sound at around 4000 rpm in all gears, I've checked the pipes and no oil is in them.

What could be the problem

No oil is in what?
It sounds like your bearings are giving out.

if their is no oil in the pipes then your turbo seals are good. does the shreaking noise happen even when you are not boosting? if so i would look elsewere then the turbo.... when my turbo blew i could not boost at all (since the shaft was sheared)
rob

i get a sound like that around 4000 in most gears, doesnt matter if im in boost or not. I think its the manifold heatshield rattling.

usually if the turbo is blown..you will see oil..in pipes..and get some white smoke out the exhuasts.

Chas

I've gotten that shriek/whistle under full boost since the first day I picked up the car. 19 months & 28,000 miles later it still runs fine, and still makes that noise at hi RPMs under boost. I've always thought it was just turbo whine.

I get it too. When the car gets outta the body shop I'm gonna inspect the turbo for shaft play, manifold nuts and cracks in the vaccum lines. I don't like the screeching, but lots of owners have it and so far its not a short term problem.

take out the bottom section of your airbox and tape the filter up to the top part. Go for a drive, then tell us what happens. (no, it is not bad for it)

You will be whine free.

thats how ive had my intake for like a year in a half, this sound Im talking about is definately more of a death metal shreak, very short, and happens regardless if boosting or not.

As far as I know, 4k RPMs is where the intake manifold runners switch over. I have J-pipe back exhaust exhaust & I hear a distinct change in the sound at 4k EVERY single time.

Well it's definetly not a normal sound, This car has 48000km's on it and just started recently, (since I put my FMIC on it has been making this sound) It's really weird.

well mine was shreiking from 4K to 4500ishK and turned out to be shot turbo...seals were good bearings were toast...a week later and still waiting on the turbo to arrive at the dealership, apparently its been a common problem so they're on backorder.....ugg i say just give me the money and let me get my own...

Well that sucks ass, I can't afford a turbo at the moment, and I can't see the Dealership giving it to me through warrenty cause of my mods and they know of them. How much does the dealer charge for a new turbo??

mine shrieks at 4k + too. its been doin it ever since i got the car and it only had 46 miles on it when i got it. i dont know if its bad or not. havent had time to check it out.

hehe you dont want to know...best bet is to put your car back to stock take it to a different dealer and see if they'll cover it...otherwise for the same price you can upgrade to the disco potato....but its worth a shot to check your manifold bolts, ones on the passenger side are generally the culprits...manifold leaks tend to sound like a whistle/hiss...shot turbos make a metallic screach/high pitch "tea kettle" whistle...

I think you guys may be confusing the sound of the turbo spooling up. B/c it does whine..alteast mine does

mine does the same thing. i'm pretty sure most do around that rpm. my guess was that there was not enough air getting out. i think i was right. because when i put on my cat delete and exaust dump the sound never comes. all i hear is turbo spool and the boost held better all the way through. the worst problem we have (performance wise) is a corked up exaust.

Back