How To: Retrofit HID projectors into P5 headlights

That has the "mini graphite" shroud on it. It fits perfect IMO, I've had big projectors in my headlights before, and it looked weird.

The mini graphite shroud looks to be the smallest they TRS offers. I have the GTI-R shrouds, which are bigger, on my P5 lights:

IMAG0114.jpg

I guess it's all up to you and what you like. Here is what they offer: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/index.php?cPath=30

i've done some Mini H1's in the sedan housing as well, but i've used E55 shrouds and blacked out the housing
5112595754_cfcd294890_z.jpg

5111955793_767e7aa84a_z.jpg

That is what I am planning to use, the E55 shrouds. Thanks for the pics mx-p5. Those look great! retrofitsource has a pic of sedan housing with the bowl covered in CF overlay, found that to be interesting.

yeah, that headlight was one of the first protege retro's (the cf set)

the set i did i just simply painted matte black

the lights currently on the wife's car have a custom fiberglass mold so you can't see any of the reflector but it's got Acura TL's in em
5073743926_0e31ef503b_b.jpg

im sure itsbeen asked but ill ask again. if you already had an hid kit but not the full on retrofit, what is needed to be purchased to complete this project?

edit: like as in can the ballast from the hid be reused? or do you basically start from scratch again?
is a standard hid kit wired the same as the retrofit?
i bought my car with the hids but they arent truly very bright at all and well dont stand out what-so-ever lol

Last edited:
Yeah, the moromoto mini projectors aren't an oem projector from any car. It's made and sold by theretrofitsource

no i meant that yard sale you showed me had lists of the cars the projectors went to. does it matter on which one i did?

and also is this something where i can keep my standard highbeams or do i need to do both through the projector?

no i meant that yard sale you showed me had lists of the cars the projectors went to. does it matter on which one i did?

and also is this something where i can keep my standard highbeams or do i need to do both through the projector?

No it doesn't really matter which one you get, they all require cutting. Some are better quality than others, and others are bi-xenon.

In either case, bi-xenon or not, you can keep your oem high beam functional. If you go with bi-xenon, just don't hook up a replay to the solenoid for the projector and you will be using the oem high beam.

the moromoto minis require NO cutting, as they mount through the hole the bulb currently goes through

Now, the minis aren't quite as good as some OEM projectors but bang for the buck and ease of installation, you can't beat the minis for a first time retro project

the moromoto minis require NO cutting, as they mount through the hole the bulb currently goes through

Now, the minis aren't quite as good as some OEM projectors but bang for the buck and ease of installation, you can't beat the minis for a first time retro project
Do the minis still require pulling the lens off the headlight? If no then I'll go that route; but if yes then why half ass it and still do the only hard part lol.

Yes...you will still need to bake your lights Betty Crocker style :)

Do the minis still require pulling the lens off the headlight? If no then I'll go that route; but if yes then why half ass it and still do the only hard part lol.

you have to split the headlight to do any of the retrofits, splitting the headlights is not the hard part.. making the 2 lights line up properly and fit properly is the hard part.

Back