How To: Remove Roof Rack (P5)

Yaegs4life said:
Do think theres a way of just cutting the blots from the outside of the car? Or would teh blots be got off and left rattleing in the roof?

umm.. dont do this.. not only will it not work, it will scratch up your car in the process. I dont remember the bolts being visible, they are built into the main roof rack side pieces.

I just finished installing the "Big"U.S. version strips onto my Canadian MP5. Now I have somewhere to tie the Dogsled to.

I traded my stock "Flush style"Canadian strips straight across for the U.S. version stuff with another board member,...it all went very smooth,...thanks again for this detailed "how-to" thread.

I would like to add this,...there are 5 "clips" glued into the bottom of EACH roof rail?troughthingy on the CanadianMP5,...you must remove the back 4 clips on each side to make room for the U.S. style strips, mine came off unbroken by using a thin edged straight screwdriver and a couple of gentle taps with a hammer,...LEAVE the front two clips(one on each side) in both the U.S. and Canadian cars.
I removed the 4 "roof rack mounting brackets"(2 10mm nuts each), and sent the whole collection to my U.S. friend.
Altogether I sent the 2 strips, 4 brackets/8 bolts, and 8 plastic clips along with the measurements of where my clips where installed in the roof troughs.
On my install I had to drill 3 holes in each roof trough to accept the U.S. parts,...my U.S. friend will have to glue(I would think that epoxy would work well) the clips into position.
I duck taped over the extra holes in my Canadain MP5's roof troughs.

NOTE: If you never intend to use the "aftermarket" Mazda roofrack that us Canucks are supposed to buy(?!)(read:expensive?!) then you do not have to install the 4 roof rack brackets that are hidden under plastic covers on the Canadian roof strips,...
In other words you can just cover the holes in your U.S. MP5's roof and reinstall your headliner/interior,....when your Canadian fill strips come you can just glue the clips into place and when dry clip on the strips,...this can save you the work of disassembling/reassembling your U.S.MP5's interior twice.

If the above is true I can make this helpful suggestion. If the "Yank" removes his/her peices first and sends them to the "Canuck" who then removes his/her stuff then sends it to the U.S. partner then BOTH parties only have to disassemble/reassemble their interiors once,...(remember,...the "Canuck"has to unbolt the 4brackets to allow the U.S. rack pecies to fit.)

I also have a suggestion. Since you are ripping the majority of the inside out of the car, now would be a good time to run any wires for stereo connections or any sound deadening material. It looks like there is no sound deadening material from the factory under any of this plastic interior and thats why there is so much noise while driving these cars.

Part numbers for the clips are G1YS-50-629B that goes along with the roof moldings part numbers posted earlier in this thread. You need a total of 10, however the roof rack you have already comes with 2, so you only need 8 more. I ordered all 10 just in case. $1.65 a piece.

Just thought i'd say that I followed the how to on taking of my rack this afternoon. Everything went great. That panel below the seat belt bolt was a bit of a b****, though. Thanks for the great write up!

Just curious, if you dont have a moonroof, is it still necessary to take the interior apart like that?

Im thinking about taking mine off just for summer.

nealric said:
Just curious, if you dont have a moonroof, is it still necessary to take the interior apart like that?

Im thinking about taking mine off just for summer.

?,...what are you going to take off for just the summer,?, clarification please. This thread has evolved into a how-to on removing the US version roof rack and replacing it with the Canadian version roof fill strips(which fit flush to the roof surface).

You can remove the US style cross bars and install(they snap right in) the four plastic fill strips to cover the holes in the US style roof strips. If you bought your car used you may not have got them?!.

Looks like a lot of work just to remove the roof rack. Maybe I should just Dynamat the whole car at the same time to save me some work. Very informative post, thanks.

to put the filler rails on, do you have to get rid of the bolts you used to fill in the holes? that just came to my attention and its gonna really suck if i have to.

musiclikscreams said:
to put the filler rails on, do you have to get rid of the bolts you used to fill in the holes? that just came to my attention and its gonna really suck if i have to.

No you dont.

Sorry - havent been around here lately.. buying another P5 though.

musiclikscreams said:

IMO I don't know how bolts will fit under the strips,...you just TAPE over the holes, use a quality tape, being under the strips it will never see the sun.

OK. I've decided to do this. What should I do to keep the rain out, while I wait for my filler strips to show? I thought about doing the bolt/washer thing, but then I would have to remove them again when the filler strips shows up, right?? Just need to make sure that it is watertight/windproof for a week or so...

No you can use the bolt and nut with some silicon, or just silicon alone and keep either on there when the filler strips come in. You need to seal it even after the strips are installed because they are not weather proof.

The bolts can stay in long term as long as they are not uber long

Nice write-up. Just printed out the instructions and hope to do the swap this weekend.

Thanks much for the pics and the write up. I helped a lot. :)

I'd love a set of the filler strips, but I'd also not like to bend over without a jar of Vaseline. :rolleyes:

Back