how to reaim your headlights. (HID)

i added that last disclaimer beacuse some people had over adjusted them, so they were getting flashed and one of the disussions i had before i posted this thread someone asked about changing the 2 and the 0 to get more adjustment up. i drive around at 0 no one has flashed me so mine is adjusted fine.

I think I must be missing the point... So we just readjust the '0' level so it is now at the '1' level, but then it is recommended to keep it at the '1' level? What advantage does this gain?

With the headlights properly aimed on setting '0' the adjustment wheel only lowers the angle of the projectors to compensate for extra weight in the car. With the headlights re aimed so that '1' is the new '0' you can still dial up to 2 or 3 if you're carrying more weight, plus you can now dial down to '0' when you want your HIDs to project higher (i.e. further down the road). This of course shouldn't be done unless there aren't any other cars around you as you'd then potentially be blinding them.

i adjusted my "0" to the former two notches down. This means that my new 0 is two steps higher than my old 0.

i have never been flashed, and i went two steps up! i also am lowered, so for people who are not lowered, one step up might be ideal.

this simple adjustment is such a homerun, really makes a huge difference.

Just a solid reminder:
Don't forget to screw it the other way too, once you raise them then the screws are "looser" and after time (like 2-3 months) you'll notice them start to droop back down...like mine. So don't forget to do about 1/2 turn in the opposite direction once you raise them.

lol@ the pink is the new brown

Just a solid reminder:
Don't forget to screw it the other way too, once you raise them then the screws are "looser" and after time (like 2-3 months) you'll notice them start to droop back down...like mine. So don't forget to do about 1/2 turn in the opposite direction once you raise them.

lol@ the pink is the new brown

ahead of you pimp!

*IMPORTANT* OP you should add this in your original post...

this is highlighted in the factory service manual for the ms3---

if you "loosen" (raise) the light adjustment screw at any time, you need to keep going past where you want to set them (higher), and then "tighten" (lower) them to the final position.

if you just "loosen" them to where you want and leave it alone, the screws will possibly work themselves loose after some time of driving.

i am unsure of how much "tighten" they need, but i went about 2 full revolutions to make sure.

this is totally true tho, good call

I was so sick of not being able to see the road i did this behind a Carls Jr. one night. It's awesome and i love it, Nice write up!

Did this last week with the tip of loosening extra and then turning it back so the screw "settles" in. To me, the beams seem pretty high now. I haven't been flashed at night, but it's just weird seeing the beams so high up on cars and etc. I may lower it a tad.

If you screw it back to tighten it, wouldn't that lower it back?

On a side note, my lights seem wider on the right side. When I'm on the freeway, I noticed that my lights are around the trunk level of cars to the my right. But on the left, it's around the bumper. Is it possible that I've re-aimed the lights horizontally? Is that even possible?

On a side note, my lights seem wider on the right side. When I'm on the freeway, I noticed that my lights are around the trunk level of cars to the my right. But on the left, it's around the bumper. Is it possible that I've re-aimed the lights horizontally? Is that even possible?

It's supposed to be that way as you want to illuminate the right shoulder more and not blind oncoming traffic. Thats why HIDs have a step in their cutoffs.

well, essentially, yes. that is why you go above the target level, then tighten it down to the setting you want....as opposed to simply raising them from the OE setting to the new higher level.

so...

from stock level, loosen past your target, then tighten down to the proper level.

well i finaly have info on how to on fogs
foglightadjustment.jpg

Since no one has mentioned it, I guess I'm the first with this problem.
After I re aimed my headlights the electric leveling motors would get stuck on their way to the new (0) setting. I thought I had broken the motor, until I readjusted them back down and everything is fine. There seems to be an up limit to this system.

Back